• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Next Tranmere manager

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Jennings has confirmed on Twitter he is.leaving, for me this is a loss and will be missed, if he goes to Stockport then we really have.missed out.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Jennings has confirmed on Twitter he is.leaving, for me this is a loss and will be missed, if he goes to Stockport then we really have.missed out.
Not sure how moving to Stockport makes much sense. Surely we have offered him more.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not sure how moving to Stockport makes much sense. Surely we have offered him more.

Don’t know how much money Stockport have but could be say a 3 year deal and in these uncertain times and as Connor became a dad recently, you can't blame him, especially if we’ve Not offered anything Yet

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Jennings would have been a great player to have in L2 and it is disappointing that he is moving on, given his recovery from illness to set up the winning goal for Norwood and then the following year's play-off winner. I'd rather he was at Stockport than turned up playing for notlob or another L2 opponent.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Jennings was a great servant to us and I am sad to see him go. However, at this stage of his career it is probably a good time to move on. If we are looking to return to League One and stay there, he is not quite at the level of player we need in my opinion. Not that it will be easy to find a replacement.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Jennings was a great servant to us and I am sad to see him go. However, at this stage of his career it is probably a good time to move on. If we are looking to return to League One and stay there, he is not quite at the level of player we need in my opinion. Not that it will be easy to find a replacement.
it is fat.from certain we will challenge at.the.top.of the.league, there is.going to be a big rebui!d and a new manager which will.make things more difficult.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
it is fat.from certain we will challenge at.the.top.of the.league, there is.going to be a big rebui!d and a new manager which will.make things more difficult.
Agreed, and the more players we lose of Connor's ability the harder it will be. There will be some strong teams in that division and even if we recruit well, there is no guarantee that we will be challenged at the higher end of the table.

My thoughts were that we got out of L2 at the right time, with teams like Salford, FGR, Mansfield etc starting to flex some financial muscle.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agreed. I think Connor improved as last season went on and certainly capable of being a squad player at that level. Hope that he’s left due to a better offer and we did make an attempt to keep him.

Realistically even with a good manager given time and resources, it will be hard to achieve better than the play-offs next season

Player
Manager
John King
I agree, but a rebuild was pretty much inevitable given the impact of COVID, demotion, plus a change of manager.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I agree, but a rebuild was pretty much inevitable given the impact of COVID, demotion, plus a change of manager.
but we have made no attempt to offer a contract to any.of the out of contract players, we know when the window opens, there are 2 dates for the start of the season we need to get a move on sooner rather than later.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Shame - and what is slightly worrying is that a player 90% of Tranmere supporters would want to stay has stepped down to NL....
He did a great job for us especially to come off his sick bed like that! True I felt he was a bit exposed last season - that said he was/ is definitely good enough for L2 so I assume he wanted to stay relatively local and they offered him a decent contract lengthwise as well as money wise.
Wish him all the best!!

Player
Manager
John King
but we have made no attempt to offer a contract to any.of the out of contract players, we know when the window opens, there are 2 dates for the start of the season we need to get a move on sooner rather than later.
I think we need to behave responsibly. If the other clubs offering contracts are taking risks, we should not necessarily do the same.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Bigmart I just don't see how we can be bringing in players now without a manager - sure the young lads we can take a punt on as they will be 1 year only and cheap but MP would look pretty silly recruiting himself and then telling a new manager that he has no budget left and must make do with whoever he has brought in!
Secondly, although legal action looks ever more unlikely given that it has all gone quiet again we are not privy to what is happening. There might still be some discussions re compensation etc. which might dramatically impact how much we had available next year and so the quality of the recruits we can bring in.
Finally, there must still be a big doubt that the season will start in August/ September - reports today of a possible second lock down in Blackburn and the legal requirement to wear face masks until possibly next Summer for heaven's sake must raise questions as to the real practicality of crowds again.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If we were to get compensation we probably wouldn't be able to use much of it due to the impending salary cap.

We cannot fail to sign players just because there may be a second.lockdown, there is a lockdown in Leicester but their home game v palace went ahead.

As for signing.players with no.mansger, clubs does this from time to time and also it's another reason we need to get the new man in as quickly as possible.

Player
Manager
John King
My guess is that we would be offering contracts now if a manager was in place. However, it is only ten days since Mellon left, so I don't realistically think the club could have moved much quicker.

I would say that getting the managerial appointment right is more important than retaining the current squad members, none of whom are so good they are indispensable.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Bigmart I just don't see how we can be bringing in players now without a manager - sure the young lads we can take a punt on as they will be 1 year only and cheap but MP would look pretty silly recruiting himself and then telling a new manager that he has no budget left and must make do with whoever he has brought in!
Secondly, although legal action looks ever more unlikely given that it has all gone quiet again we are not privy to what is happening. There might still be some discussions re compensation etc. which might dramatically impact how much we had available next year and so the quality of the recruits we can bring in.
Finally, there must still be a big doubt that the season will start in August/ September - reports today of a possible second lock down in Blackburn and the legal requirement to wear face masks until possibly next Summer for heaven's sake must raise questions as to the real practicality of crowds again.
I don't think any new manager would have much cause for complaint if Mark had sorted new deals for existing players we wanted to keep; thinking the now departed Jennings and Ellis. Perhaps he's tried.

Agree with bigmart's thoughts on the possible compensation issue. Given the English government's approach, rightly or wrongly has been to try and get things back to something approaching normal elsewhere, I can see there being some spectators allowed into the ground, when football resumes and local rather than national lockdowns.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think any new manager would have much cause for complaint if Mark had sorted new deals for existing players we wanted to keep; thinking the now departed Jennings and Ellis. Perhaps he's tried.

Agree with bigmart's thoughts on the possible compensation issue. Given the English government's approach, rightly or wrongly has been to try and get things back to something approaching normal elsewhere, I can see there being some spectators allowed into the ground, when football resumes and local rather than national lockdowns.
I think any new manager would object if large parts of the budget were unnecessarily tied up before he arrived. We have no idea if the new incumbent would rate Jennings and co., whether they fit into his style of football, and so on.

If that was not case, chairmen could assume total responsibility for recruitment.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think any new manager would object if large parts of the budget were unnecessarily tied up before he arrived. We have no idea if the new incumbent would rate Jennings and co., whether they fit into his style of football, and so on.

If that was not case, chairmen could assume total responsibility for recruitment.
that is assuming there is somebody lined up to manage us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Have some faith guys.. Have you forgotten how far we've come with Mark and Nicola at the helm. Let's trust them to first make a decent managerial appointment and then we can concentrate on players. Good luck to Connor too, great servant over the last four years.