• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Next Tranmere manager

Player
aldo
you just have to look at the Bundesliga. some of the cheapest season tickets and the avg ticket price of a game is £13 euro and it also gets you free travel in the city its played in the stadiums are all full and they all make money and they pay top wages and transfer fee,s

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
you just have to look at the Bundesliga. some of the cheapest season tickets and the avg ticket price of a game is £13 euro and it also gets you free travel in the city its played in the stadiums are all full and they all make money and they pay top wages and transfer fee,s
It's because the fans control the clubs.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
McGreal has been down that part of the world for a few years so I'm assuming he is leaving for another job.

His appointment would make sense to a degree. Palios always like the connection Micky had with the fans and a scouser who played close to 200 games for the club may fit the bill. Combine that with experience in L2 to a decent level (ok not promotions like Micky had but took Colchester to the play offs last season), it does make sense.

If Jacko stayed on as his number 2 then I'd be happy with that. Names like Cook, Coleman, Adkins etc dont seem realistic and the likes of Fowler and Barry who arent experienced arent suitable. So McGreal would be a decent choice on paper.

That said, having read the Colchester chairmans statement, they say they felt a change in head coach after 4 years was needed. So as RLC says, it could mean nothing.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Interesting wording I agree.... if we were going to recruit him surely they would be after compo - this more suggests sacking?

Worryingly also the reason given being an inability to foster the youth players which surely for all L2 clubs will be necessary as simply put they are cheap...

On the other hand i just read that their fans are suggesting he was on a rolling 12 month contract and it simply wasn't renewed....

Last edited:

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
The fact there is now no "chain" may be appealing and speed up the appointment.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Interesting to note that Gareth Ainsworth was a rookie manager when first appointed (apart from two short spells as caretaker at QPR). It was an internal appointment and he has lasted 8 years, making him the longest serving manager in England. He has had his ups and downs and he and the club deserve some success for sticking together.

There is no magic formula for appointing a manager. We just have to trust Mark and hope. I'd like to think it will be someone who knows the club, but as for experience, they all have to start somewhere and some of our rookie managers have done no worse than our more experienced ones.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Some bookies have suspended betting on this. Read into that what you will

Player
aldo
well I have been told today that they are not going to rush the manager's job with not even knowing if there will be a season start also mc is not in the running but as you know they don,t always have the right info and things change

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well we appear not much closer to having a new manager in, really hope something is sorted soon as we need to get a squad sorted as well.

Player
aldo
from what some are saying we have things in place but don,t want to do it until they know when or if the season will start

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well we appear not much closer to having a new manager in, really hope something is sorted soon as we need to get a squad sorted as well.

yes agree. More and more teams are signing players or giving New contracts To existing players.Rumours the season could start in September so need to get cracking.

you wonder if micky fancies taking anyone up to Scotland. Could imagine someone like Jennings being wanted

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
yes agree. More and more teams are signing players or giving New contracts To existing players.Rumours the season could start in September so need to get cracking.

you wonder if micky fancies taking anyone up to Scotland. Could imagine someone like Jennings being wanted
although the vote to agree the date has been out back, I would think September 12th will be the start date so less than 2 months away.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Don’t think we need to panic. We do this every season manager or not.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Don’t think we need to panic. We do this every season manager or not.
We leave our recruitment too late and start fairly slowly. The transfer window July 27th till October 16th so closes 3 months tomorrow.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it is more important that we get the managerial appointment right; we would be stuck with a bad manager for months or years.

The majority of other clubs have not started recruiting in earnest yet.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We leave our recruitment too late and start fairly slowly. The transfer window July 27th till October 16th so closes 3 months tomorrow.
I think that is because we have not had the money to sign early, rather than because we did not want to.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

I agree with the sentiment of these posts. Last season was difficult because of unexpected promotion requiring adjustment to our budget and the funds available weren't enough to outbid some L2 teams in terms of wages. Even if there is wage deflation this year due to covid 19 and salary caps, it would be far better in my view to try and hold onto players like Jennings and Ellis for continuity purposes than to make additions to the squad closer to resumption, as there is no guarantee of the new recruits immediately gelling. Firstly we need a new manager, some suggestion on another site that Mark and Nicola are on holiday at present (and who could blame them, given what we've had to contend with), so that may not be imminent.

I'm unsure there's anyone out of contract Micky would be interested in taking on, perhaps Ellis. Jennings is rumoured to have an offer from Stockport, would be surprised if he ends up there but family connections mean he'd prefer to stay in the North West.