• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Newport v Tranmere

Match result

• Newport

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Newport v Tranmere
Posted by Ian
Rodney Parade
Saturday, February 26, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 26, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Outoftowner

Player
Chris Merrie
Manager
Micky Mellon
I just don't understand this approach. Now matter how good defensively you are, eventually you will concede, you could see signs in the first half which is exactly what happened today and we only started to attack when 2-0 down. No matter what Micky says, we did not show any attempt to purposefully attack Newport until we were a few goals down. Long balls for Nevitt to run onto, Hemmings a spectator at times must be frustrated by the lack of service.

Micky has said numerous times that they approach every game to win it but I believe that was not the case today. It was a poor gameplan but it was going to plan until the defence cracked and the game was all over the place in the second half going from zero goals in the first half to six in the second.

Newport didn't look technically great but again I don't think we were able to cope with their hands on approach either. We need more from the players. Hawkes was disappointing and rightly subbed but players like McPake are not going to change a game IMO.

We need to play to our strengths. Give Hemmings service and he will score. Keep the ball on the floor, get the passing game going. I think we are missing Spearing (as drwhoman mentions above) for this but we have to be simply better all over the park.
How come he doesn’t give Merrie a chance ? - from what I’ve seen of him in the few games he’s played he’s a skilful midfield ball player and can also defend really well ! - he must have upset Mickey good style to be left in the doldrums!

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
with the two games coming up we could be 9th after if we keep playing the same way, but knowing what Rovers are like we will win or draw the next two,but if we get two heavy beatings thing will be different at pp at the next home game

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
How come he doesn’t give Merrie a chance ? - from what I’ve seen of him in the few games he’s played he’s a skilful midfield ball player and can also defend really well ! - he must have upset Mickey good style to be left in the doldrums!
Can only assume merrie doesn’t have a great attitude in training because like you say, in the few minutes he’s had this season he’s looked decent. Something needs to change though if we’re going to turn this dismal form around

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Our form in February has been poor compared with the rest of the season - conceding late goals and losing points from winning/drawing positions. Even against teams on a bad run (Walsall, Newport) we can't buy a victory. Earlier in the season, two goals would usually guarantee three points.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
all over now...outside the box but penalty given and scored...we simply are just not good enough...poor cheap signings in January window leaves us totally inept going forward...be lucky to stay in playoff positions when the games in hand are played
The signings are not poor (in my opinion), and certainly were not cheap.....

Player
Manager
John King
The final few minutes of the game today were as sickening as last week, but Newport were the better side over the ninety six minutes and deserved the victory.

The first sixty minutes were poor in the attacking areas. We actually got into good positions on a number of occasions through Morris, Hawkes or Cogley but the final ball was lacking, whereas Newport played some reasonable football and had a string of half chances. The first half had been tight, but in the first ten minutes of the second period Newport cut through our midfield far too easily, for both the first and second goals.

We are not playing particularly well at the moment, but you have to give the players some credit for the way they battled back into the game. Heads did not go down. We did not deserve anything from the game, but there was still a large element of ill fortune in a couple of the goals. The foul for the penalty was clearly outside the box, but the useless Darren Drysedale awarded the penalty, and I don't think there was much we could have done about their crucial third from a defensive point of view, as it was an absolute worldy struck from thirty yards.

I think somebody above tried to blame Sam Foley for the defeat (!) but he actually solidified things in midfield in the second half, and we scored the two goals after his arrival. There was nothing he could do about their third goal.

There are two observations I would make after today's game.

Firstly, Lee O'Connor was poor in the centre of midfield today and did not give enough assistance to Warrington, who was overrun at times, notably for their first two goals. I am not scapegoating O'Connor, but this was the kind of tough away game where we really miss Spearing's experience and know-how in front of the back four, and it is no coincidence that Clarke is looking more stretched in his absence.

Secondly, the service to the front men (or man) has to improve. Hemmings was poor today, but he received no service whatsoever, and looks really frustrated at being provided with 'fighting balls' that he can't do anything productive with. I think MM will have to consider switching to a 4231 formation to improve the quality in the final third and the supply to Hemmings.

Individually, Cogley and Doohan both had very good games, despite the scoreline.

We are in a rut at the moment, but Mellon has been in far more difficult situations in the past and has always turned them around, and I have no doubt he will do again. As it stands, there are still enough games remaining to finish the season successfully. However, we do need a victory to come quickly, as the players look short of confidence at the moment and we need to regain momentum.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Player
Manager
John King
For what it is worth, I don't think we play for a draw away from home either. We just struggle to maintain any quality or intensity in possession, or at least have done in recent away games.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
For weeks the players have been saying after defeat, "we need to learn, and go again next week" but what are they actually learning? The tone from Hemmings interview sounds like they they are finding it difficult believing in themselves. We need some strong heads in there to lift us out of this rut.

Player
Manager
John King
It is worth bearing in mind it is only four games without a win.......

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We just struggle to maintain any quality or intensity in possession, or at least have done in recent away games
Maybe this is all part of the self belief because there should be no reason to struggle maintaining quality or intensity with the squad we have.

It is worth bearing in mind it is only four games without a win.......
Yes, but I have not seen any improvement in these last few weeks. I do not feel confident going into games at the moment.

FRG have not won in 3 games, Northampton lost today but I am more concerned about the teams below us in good form such as Exeter, Mansfield and Swindon.

Last five games:

Tranmere 3 pts
Exeter 13 pts
Mansfield 9 pts
Swindon 9 pts

Let's hope we pick up form soon as next week will also be very difficult.

Player
Manager
John King
Maybe this is all part of the self belief because there should be no reason to struggle maintaining quality or intensity with the squad we have.
It is human nature. We have had a few really disappointing results, including being kicked in the knackers with a last second goal last week, and the confidence of the players takes a knock as a result. That is football, irrespective of how good or experienced the players are.

Player
Manager
John King

Yes, but I have not seen any improvement in these last few weeks. I do not feel confident going into games at the moment.

FRG have not won in 3 games, Northampton lost today but I am more concerned about the teams below us in good form such as Exeter, Mansfield and Swindon.

Last five games:

Tranmere 3 pts
Exeter 13 pts
Mansfield 9 pts
Swindon 9 pts

Let's hope we pick up form soon as next week will also be very difficult.
The season lasts 46 games. The last four have been very disappointing, and today was terrible, but we won ten out of fourteen prior to the sequence you quote above.

If we were in a run of ten games without a win, the season would be over, but we are not, and it is not. Our current form is not particularly exceptional.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Let's hope the players can pick themselves up soon then!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The season lasts 46 games. The last four have been very disappointing, and today was terrible, but we won ten out of fourteen prior to the sequence you quote above.

If we were in a run of ten games without a win, the season would be over, but we are not, and it is not. Our current form is not particularly exceptional.
The last 8 games we have won 2 unless we start winning soon we will drop out of the playoffs never mind top 3

ADD

Player
Norwood
Thoroughly depressing result and worse the performance. MM did not hold back either in his criticisms after the game quite rightly.
The reality is that we seem entirely devoid of confidence and let's be honest are the performances any better/ different to the back end of last season. Is MM doing anything better/ different than Keith Hill. I think not.
Not a penalty no but MacDonald very lucky not to get a second yellow whilst Morris fouled their player in the build up to Cogley's goal so that evened things out somewhat.
Hemmings must be so frustrated with the complete lack of service he is getting. He will score goals at this level but not with zero service as he is not a Nors who can create his own chances. Surely MM should be able to get a structure that provides at least some service to him. My concern is that he seems devoid of ideas/ willingness to change things now we have hit a terrible run of form.
Clarke/ Davies now look poor together and teams can see that - their fourth Davies simply gave up on the challenge near the centreline whilst Clarke often seems to be out of position - age/ fatigue finally catching up with him perhaps but we have no alternatives.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The substitutions cause enough frustration as anything else. Foley did ok overall when he came on but I thought he could have done better for their third. He got in front of azeez but didn’t press close enough and allowed him to get a shot off.
But even before that, we weren’t creating anything. Why mcpake didn’t come on or even Jolley was very strange.

Player
Manager
John King
It is also worth bearing in mind it is only one point from the last four games.
Yes, and the season does not last four games unless the rules have been changed.

Hill's poor run lasted for fifteen games so no, there is no comparison.

Player
Manager
John King
The last 8 games we have won 2 unless we start winning soon we will drop out of the playoffs never min

The last 8 games we have won 2 unless we start winning soon we will drop out of the playoffs never mind top 3
And prior to that we had the best form in the League over fifteen games, with the same manager and players. Form fluctuates.

As an example, Port Vale and Swindon were both struggling massively until recently, as were Bristol Rovers.