• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Newport v Tranmere

Match result

• Newport

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Newport v Tranmere
Posted by Ian
Rodney Parade
Saturday, February 26, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 26, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We maybe 5th but we will be lucky to make the play offs at this rate, we don't score enough and no can't keep a clean sheet very worrying times

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
To get back to 2-2, it’s seriously disappointing to lose the game 4-2 in the final 10 mins. A lot more is needed from the players.

I also thought we approached the game all wrong. Never wanted to attack until we were 2-0 down. Just asking for trouble.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Spot on Ian, and questions, meaningful ones instead of the usual crap, of the manager too.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Utterly depressing and it sounds like a season ending performance from Rovers. Sounded fortunate to get it back to 2-2 their third goal the commentary suggested was a worldie and the fourth on the break. There were options on the bench but Micky only used Foley who contributed to our downfall. 3 away defeats on the bounce and who’s to say it won’t be a fourth with a difficult trip to Northampton up next.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
and only 4 points from 8th place now the lads are blowing this same old Tranmere

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
we have some huge games to come somthing needs to give the front line just dont work its not good enough

drwhoman

Very disappointing. Sadly I am anticipating being still in L2 next season. This team is simply not good enough although losing two key players in Spearing and Glatzel has not helped. The former brings leadership even if his performances are mixed at times. How long a contract have we given Hemmings? We can dress it up, a great second half fightback but then.......

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well how Micky explains that will be interesting. Yes we can talk about a penalty that shouldn’t have been given, or a worldie goal they scored to make it 3-2 but that papers over the cracks.

They fully deserved to be 2-0 up with rovers offering absolutely nothing going forward. The front two were spectators. We showed a bit of courage to make it 2-2 but it would have been a lucky point. Instead foley backed too far off Azeez and let him curl one into the top corner and it was game over. The 4th just added to the SWA woes.

Too many times the quality into the box from the likes of hawkes didn’t beat the first defender. Nevitt again worked hard but is out of his depth ah this level when it comes to scoring goals. His record shows this. Mickys subs again are questionable. Leaving mcpake on the bench and Jolley, if only just to change things, was a poor decision.

As I say I just hope Micky doesn’t blame the ref for the penalty because we got what we deserved today, absolutely nothing. Another away performance where we don’t create enough. Our poor run of form is happening at the worst possible time of the season. We stay third, but Northampton and Mansfield up next will be licking their lips….

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Very disappointing. Sadly I am anticipating being still in L2 next season. This team is simply not good enough although losing two key players in Spearing and Glatzel has not helped. The former brings leadership even if his performances are mixed at times. How long a contract have we given Hemmings? We can dress it up, a great second half fightback but then.......
Hemmings signed for 2 and a half years

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hemmings signed for 2 and a half years
My guess with Hemmings is that although he’s scored goals elsewhere, I’m not sure our system suits him. He has to do an awful lot of running and has been playing with either Nevitt, Jolley or glatzel - all inexperienced at this level and the best option of the three is injured.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, Hemmings is a good player at this level but he's starved of service at the moment.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They fully deserved to be 2-0 up with rovers offering absolutely nothing going forward. The front two were spectators.
I just don't understand this approach. Now matter how good defensively you are, eventually you will concede, you could see signs in the first half which is exactly what happened today and we only started to attack when 2-0 down. No matter what Micky says, we did not show any attempt to purposefully attack Newport until we were a few goals down. Long balls for Nevitt to run onto, Hemmings a spectator at times must be frustrated by the lack of service.

Micky has said numerous times that they approach every game to win it but I believe that was not the case today. It was a poor gameplan but it was going to plan until the defence cracked and the game was all over the place in the second half going from zero goals in the first half to six in the second.

Newport didn't look technically great but again I don't think we were able to cope with their hands on approach either. We need more from the players. Hawkes was disappointing and rightly subbed but players like McPake are not going to change a game IMO.

We need to play to our strengths. Give Hemmings service and he will score. Keep the ball on the floor, get the passing game going. I think we are missing Spearing (as drwhoman mentions above) for this but we have to be simply better all over the park.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with Ian that Newport didn’t look great at all. A bang average league two side but maybe that’s what we’re turning into

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just watched Micky post match. To be fair he makes no excuses and admits we were second best.
I’ve calmed down a bit now and let’s be a bit positive. We’re still in the top 3 and surely our poor form will turn at some point soon

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Let’s hope so

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Just watched Micky post match. To be fair he makes no excuses and admits we were second best.
I’ve calmed down a bit now and let’s be a bit positive. We’re still in the top 3 and surely our poor form will turn at some point soon
I am not sure it will turn, we are on a downward spiral and I doubt we are going to get out of it.

Outoftowner

Player
Chris Merrie
Manager
Micky Mellon
The hosts lost their assistant manager this week who has followed ex manager michael Flynn to Walsall. We need to get something from this game, at the very least a point. A defeat and no goals scored would really add to the pressure that the squad must be feeling given our recent form. Plus we then have Northampton away after that.

micky often says post match that “we won’t change our style”. That’s a fair point, as it’s gotten us to the top 3 so far. However other teams managers often comment on they know how we’ll play and I do wonder if we’ve gotten a bit predictable In recent weeks.
Our “style”/tactics are crap.
The way we play is a toss of the coin whether we get points or not ! - before Chrimbo the coin was falling our way with the same shyte tactics and so we ended up with all those points and near top of the league. Now the coin is falling the other way with same shyte tactics & team selection!

As far ascI can see our football is shyte and whether we get points is a toss of the coin - I think that’s the Micky way - my view is that he’s a bit of an old dinasaur in a modern game - I recon we need a young, keen manager with new ideas of how to play the game !