• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Newport v Tranmere

Match result

• Newport

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Newport v Tranmere
Posted by Ian
Rodney Parade
Saturday, February 26, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 26, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
As we are now playing Saturdays for a few weeks, let's get this one started early.

Next up for Rovers is a trip to Rodney Parade as Rovers look to get back on track after a disappointing set of recent results.

Newport currently sit in 8th position in league two but they have been in poor form recently. No win in four games (2 draws and 2 defeats) so they will also be keen on returning to winning ways. Rovers will be after revenge after Newport walked away with all three points in the reverse fixture last August.

No team news yet but will update closer to the game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The hosts lost their assistant manager this week who has followed ex manager michael Flynn to Walsall. We need to get something from this game, at the very least a point. A defeat and no goals scored would really add to the pressure that the squad must be feeling given our recent form. Plus we then have Northampton away after that.

micky often says post match that “we won’t change our style”. That’s a fair point, as it’s gotten us to the top 3 so far. However other teams managers often comment on they know how we’ll play and I do wonder if we’ve gotten a bit predictable In recent weeks.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We really could do with a win but I feel it will be a draw 1 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would say a victory in one of the two away matches coming up, and avoiding defeat at Northampton, would be a good return. Paradoxically, a defeat at Newport and a victory at Northampton could be a reasonable outcome in the long term, although it would not feel like that at 5pm on Saturday. I thought we played pretty well against Vale, and if we match that performance we will take something from the game.

We have struggled with Newport's physical, niggly style of play on occasions in recent seasons, although that approach may have changed under their new manager. They have the division's top scorer in Dom Telford, who is their obvious danger man.

I think we will start with the same side as last Saturday, as the partnership of Hemmings and Nevitt seemed quite promising.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Think MM might be tempted to give up on 442 until Glatzel returns....
Need at least a draw. Think that might be the most likely result.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would say a victory in one of the two away matches coming up, and avoiding defeat at Northampton, would be a good return. Paradoxically, a defeat at Newport and a victory at Northampton could be a reasonable outcome in the long term, although it would not feel like that at 5pm on Saturday. I thought we played pretty well against Vale, and if we match that performance we will take something from the game.

We have struggled with Newport's physical, niggly style of play on occasions in recent seasons, although that approach may have changed under their new manager. They have the division's top scorer in Dom Telford, who is their obvious danger man.

I think we will start with the same side as last Saturday, as the partnership of Hemmings and Nevitt seemed quite promising.
Both Newport and Northampton games are likely to be niggly physical games

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Glatzel still a couple of weeks away and Spearing still in a leg brace according to Micky

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thats not good.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not too concerned by the missing players. Glatzel will be back sooner than initially feared and, although Spearing's experience is missed away from home, we have good alternatives in midfield. Spearing is not a guaranteed starter now anyway.

drwhoman

We need something from this game even a draw. On an unrelated note, I see that Mark Hughes is the new Bradford Manager! See how he goes in L2! Maybe better than Scholes!?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Indeed. Especially if the game will be physical as Warrington and OConnor could be outmuscled. Perhaps foley will come
There may be a case for 4-5-1 to prevent that. In which case, Foley could be the fifth man with a role to support midfield when we are defending and play as a second striker when we are attacking. However, based on recent games and Micky's TROSC meeting comments, I think he'll stick with Hemmings and Nevitt up front, taking the risk in midfield. Our strikers may have to track back at times, when we are under the cosh.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Perhaps a good time to play Newport, who are without two defenders Pask and Faquharson and forward Baker-Richardson for tomorrow's game. However leading scorer Telford is still available.

Presume Rovers will be unchanged, though Hawkes went off injured last weekend. Think we need at least a point from this game, though more would be nicer.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We have a tough run of games. If we can win or draw most of them, we will be well placed to finish in the top three as we have a relatively easy run in. However, if we lose most of them, we could find ourselves struggling to make the play-offs.

Personally, I have faith in Micky to turn things around. We nearly had a good win last Saturday. My main worry is that unlike earlier in the season, the team is now finding it difficult to hold onto the lead (Barrow, Port Vale) and is more prone to let in late goals (Hartlepool, Port Vale).

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think if we bring at least a point back tomorrow that will be a good start and we can build from that. Another defeat and people will start getting nervous.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Unchanged. Micky obviously confident we can cope with the physical aspect of Newport’s game

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bit scrappy this but Newport have had some chances. We have done very little up front so far. Not feeling confident.