• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Newport v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Jacko talking post match about the COVID disruption but admits we weren’t good enough.

still early days but 4 games to go until the 10 game mark when Jacko will be judged by most fans. Some SWA I know still concerned he is a bit negative. As ADD says 6 points from 18 so far isn’t a great tally but hopefully some opportunities coming up to get more.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Today highlighted the pressure we put on Vaughan to score the goals. There is no-one else in that team capable of scoring goals or playing the leading man. I'm ignoring the fact that Payne is out as well.

When he plays, he will score, but we cannot go through a season hoping he doesn't get injured, suspended etc..
The 1-up front debate will rumble on and it can work but it's not healthy for the reasons I've just mentioned.

Not having a shot on target all game is really not good enough. Newport weren't great but we sat back and played too negative. I'm not expecting gung-ho football but we showed not interested in attacking today. Disappointing.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well hopefully Smith will offer another option up front.

As disappointing as the results have been so far I would say the performances have been equally as poor and both need to improve if we are to do well this season.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
The hard fact is that Vaughan, Ferrier, Payne, CBT and Smith were all unavailable today leaving only an unproven youngster. Once we have some bodies available I would expect MJ to use them.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not sure I would describe the performances as poor overall. Today's and the Cheltenham game certainly were, but there were encouraging signs in the three or four matches prior to today.

We only had a fully fit squad for the Cambridge game and we were impressive in that match.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree with RLC about the season so far. There have been too many mitigating circumstances to pass a negative judgement at this stage. Jacko certainly has had a baptism of fire with an unfriendly schedule and a horrific injury/illness list.

For me there are enough signs that we will improve once we get most players fit and the new signings settled. There is spirit in the squad. On paper at least, we have the strongest squad for years and one which should be competitive even in League One. So let’s chill and let the manager work his magic.

Player
aldo
one thing I like at the moment with MJ is he won't leave the subs too late he has made em early in some games. with mm sometimes he did not make em at all or just too late to make a difference. we have had a weak team in the last few games the few B4 we played good. so let's just wait and see. Liverpool lost to villa 7-2 and City lost at home 5-2 its a strange world and we need to calm down it can only get better

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
one thing I like at the moment with MJ is he won't leave the subs too late he has made em early in some games. with mm sometimes he did not make em at all or just too late to make a difference. we have had a weak team in the last few games the few B4 we played good. so let's just wait and see. Liverpool lost to villa 7-2 and City lost at home 5-2 its a strange world and we need to calm down it can only get better

good point AM but all these early substitutions do suggest Jacko isn’t getting his starting eleven right...

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It is the lack of creativity in several matches so far that is a big worry.

Player
Manager
John King
But at the same time we have been defensively solid. I would say the style of passing football has been encouraging at times as well.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Only just caught the highlights of the Newport game. Looked liked Newport had the ball over the line for a second goal, which wasn't given. Red card seemed harsh, but we haven't appealed it

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Looked liked Newport had the ball over the line for a second goal, which wasn't given.
I'd forgotten about that! The ball came in so fast it was hard to see but I was surprised it wasn't given.

Player
Manager
John King
It was actually great work by Spearing to keep it out (if he did) with a double clearance.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It was actually great work by Spearing to keep it out (if he did) with a double clearance.
Having watched it back, he does indeed make a superb double clearance and I don't think it crossed the line.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Only just caught the highlights of the Newport game. Looked liked Newport had the ball over the line for a second goal, which wasn't given. Red card seemed harsh, but we haven't appealed it
In modern football it's a red card regardless of the reactions of the Newport players.