• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Newport v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Another tricky game at a direct and physical Newport side who have started the season well, but a game we can win if we are able to field a reasonably strong starting line up.

Jacko says that only a couple of the players unavailable last week are likely to feature, so it is likely there will be some square pegs in round holes again. There is still no word on who tested positive for Covid, but let's hope it was not Vaughan or Feeney. Apparently those players are not permitted to train for five days after their period of isolation.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hard to predict the line up but we should have O'Connor back as sell as Young so there will be more options.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Newport also loaned Jamie Proctor striker and Aaron Lewis full-back today, who unlike Devitt may be available. Like Rovers, they were relatively slow to start recruiting for this season but have started well.

Guesswork who starts for Rovers, though wouldn’t be certain Young will start. Think with the absentees, this game will be a bridge too far and expect a home win.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think after last weeks comeback, the mentality is good and we have some fighting spirit. I would say a draw, but if we can field a semi decent team, we could come away with maximum points.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Even with a full strength squad, an away game against a decent side would be tough. With so many players still out, I think we'll struggle. I'm predicting a solid performance but a single goal defeat.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Young won't play. He isn't eligible for today plus in any event he played for their U23's yesterday!! No idea what team we will have out - talk by Jacko that 2 players are back available but haven't trained properly but the others all still out. Woolery seems to have come through ok also which is a bonus after he played 90 minutes.
If the two players back are defenders so we can have more of a normal back 4 line up then I am confident that we will do ok but even if not defenders Jacko will have them better drilled. Sticking my neck out and and going for a 2-1 win.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Young won't play. He isn't eligible for today plus in any event he played for their U23's yesterday!! No idea what team we will have out - talk by Jacko that 2 players are back available but haven't trained properly but the others all still out. Woolery seems to have come through ok also which is a bonus after he played 90 minutes.
If the two players back are defenders so we can have more of a normal back 4 line up then I am confident that we will do ok but even if not defenders Jacko will have them better drilled. Sticking my neck out and and going for a 2-1 win.
That is smith not young

Player
Manager
John King
O'Connor, Banks and Ridhealgh return, Feeney on the bench. No Vaughan, who presumably has the virus.

Looks like a 451 with Woolery up front.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
No recognised striker in the line up. Assume Woolery will be up there with the midfield 5 behind.

ADD

Player
Norwood
That's looking not too bad though - first choice back line. Close to first choice midfield given CBT is not fit yet I assume. I presume Feeney was one of those not able to train properly this week. Then yes Woolery up front by himself by looks of it. That said is good enough lineup to give anyone in this division a good game.
Would have liked to see Burton start up front with Woolery in a 442 but pleased after his excellent cameo last week he still makes the bench and we have a full bench also as well and a sub keeper!
Sticking with my 2-1 win prediction.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
That's looking not too bad though - first choice back line. Close to first choice midfield given CBT is not fit yet I assume. I presume Feeney was one of those not able to train properly this week. Then yes Woolery up front by himself by looks of it. That said is good enough lineup to give anyone in this division a good game.
Would have liked to see Burton start up front with Woolery in a 442 but pleased after his excellent cameo last week he still makes the bench and we have a full bench also as well and a sub keeper!
Sticking with my 2-1 win prediction.
Useless but interesting fact for today; Joe Murphy made his Rovers' debut before Ben Jones was born.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Another team that looks pretty average. Come on whites!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Another team that looks pretty average. Come on whites!
There are no decent teams in this league, just look at Mansfield most people thought they be tight up top but have started as bad as last season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They got a lucky break off Manny's head although i do think we are playing too cautiously. We need to attack them at some point.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We need to use Khan more. He's looking dangerous running at them.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sounds very poor, could do with getting Feeney on early 2nd half get some creativity

Player
Manager
John King
A poor half from Rovers. They have been on top in midfield and we have not really passed it. Spearing and Lewis have scrapped but Banks needs to get involved and get on the ball. Mistake by Monthe for the goal.