• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Newport v Rovers

Newport v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Rodney Parade
Saturday, April 6, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 6, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We need 3 points from this game, a good second half showing should do the trick

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Nick this and we are right in the mix for the autos but it don't sound very likely

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds like Rovers came closest to winning with efforts from Ellis and Dagnall hitting the woodwork, though ex-Rover Joss Labadie had a late effort ruled out for offside.

Good point or not? Hard to tell at this stage. Micky only made one change during the game; Dagnall for Smith. Either the manager happy with the way the game was going or lacking in his options on the bench. Will be interested to hear from those attending.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Decent result after Tuesday. Sets us up nicely for MK Dons next Saturday.

Bury lose their 3rd game in a row against 10 man Carlisle

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sounds like a hard-earned point that hasn't cost us much. Of our rivals only Mansfield won, while MK Dons and Bury lost. We are still in it, but must start winning soon.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good point or not? Hard to tell at this stage.
I'd say good point. We are only 4 points from 2nd and it's now going to start getting interesting with the remaining fixtures. That was a horrible scrappy game and a point was decent.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Disappointed we did not win that. We had the four best chances and hit the woodwork twice. Newport created nothing until the offside 'goal'. Other results were good to us and auto is still on if we can beat MK.

Player
Manager
John King
Sounds like a hard-earned point that hasn't cost us much. Of our rivals only Mansfield won, while MK Dons and Bury lost. We are still in it, but must start winning soon.
We have only just stopped winning. ;) I think it is crucial that three of the remaining five games are at home, where we are very strong.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Newport were the media's heroes just a few weeks back. Irrespective of other results that has to be seen as a decent point. Each one we get til end of season books us a play off spot. Anything else, well....
The three home games are cup finals.
Pringle? Not arsed. Mickey's the boss and long may it last. There is no way whatsoever he would make decisions that would be detrimental to the club's goal just to satisfy any perceived ego.
I moaned when he wouldn't play Cookie for no apparent reason. Doing so was the making of him.

Anyone else watching the bun race to get out of the bin?
I think I'd be in Landican if we hadn't done it last saeson!

Player
Manager
John King
A poor game, on a bad pitch, with a terrible referee. I don't think we ever really got our attacking game going today, but I am still disappointed we did not win the match. We had the only four genuine chances - two off the woodwork, two for Norwood - whereas Newport huffed and puffed but did not create anything at all, until their disallowed 'goal' in the ninetieth minute. Our passing was not great, not helped by a very physical opponent and a pitch like a farmer's field, but you could not question the character of the players: we battled to the last and defended very well, with both centre halves superb.

Individually, I don't think any of the creative players had good games. Banks was decent and Norwood worked tirelessly as usual, and was unlucky not to score at least one of his two efforts. We did not get the bounce of the ball in front of goal all game. However, Jennings was below par, Morris was completely anonymous and Smith was involved and busy but nothing really came off for him. Despite what I said previously, we did really miss Pringle's vision and composure in the final third and I hope the spat can be resolved soon. He links well with Jennings and Perkins and I think their games also suffer when he is not in the side. The men of the match were the two centre halves, with Manny in particular doing a great job to stifle the awkward Matt.

Although Dagnall was in the right place for his effort against the post (which he should have buried), he did not have a great impact and I am surprised he is ahead of Mullin in the pecking order at the moment.

As a final note, it was good to see Les Parry was at the ground today, even if the game was reminiscent of many that we saw when he was in charge (sorry Les).

I think the game next week will be a completely different affair, against a passing team that wants to play football. Onwards and upwards.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the informative report RLC. How did we cover the McCullough role today?

Player
aldo
we are still in the frame for the autoes but we need to win a few of the next few games . mk is massive we need the whole of the wirral backing the boys come on guys and girls lets back the boys even more than we are . we have been amazing the team have been amazing lets have a big final push and do it . bury are falling apart mk are messing it about lets make a go of it

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks for the informative report RLC. How did we cover the McCullough role today?
We did not really need to, as the midfield all worked hard and the back four were much better than at Oldham. I did not notice any tactical changes, just a 4411 in the first half with Jennings behind Norwood, then 442 when Dagnall came on.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks RLC. I know we disagreed about the Oldham game when I thought Jennings was ineffective and possibly jaded but sounds like it was similar today. Are we a bit too reliant on him I wonder? Especially when he plays basically every minute of every match.

Never mind Pringle, you could imagine Mullin is pretty cheesed off at the moment with Dagnall seemingly ahead of him.

Glad manny and Ellis were back on form after Tuesdays mistakes

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks RLC. I know we disagreed about the Oldham game when I thought Jennings was ineffective and possibly jaded but sounds like it was similar today. Are we a bit too reliant on him I wonder? Especially when he plays basically every minute of every match.

Never mind Pringle, you could imagine Mullin is pretty cheesed off at the moment with Dagnall seemingly ahead of him.

In fairness to Dagnall, he did OK. He was neat and tidy, and better than on his previous appearances, and we looked more of a threat with two strikers. However, Mullin has scored from the bench a number of times this season, so I am surprised we have not used him recently.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
Whilst I agree that Mullin could be getting more game time as he seems more effective coming off the bench, I’m not too surprised as we are in a much better position (and have a better ST ahead of him) than say he’s been in the last few seasons with Morecambe and Swindon.

Little contradictory for me to say I know but I’m sure the coaching staff have had their reasons for not opting for him at times.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

Norwood never seems to get substituted either. It sounded like he was ineffective at Oldham and there have been games where we’ve been well ahead or totally out of it and he could have been taken out of the firing line, but it doesn’t happen. Given how crucial he is for us, that surprises me a little.

Unlike Pringle and Dagnall, Mullin is contracted to Rovers next season, so it does baffle me that he’s being given no game time at all. Swindon, he ended up being mostly played on the wing, but their fans were generally positive when we bought him. Thought he’d done ok at Morecambe?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I thought Pringle had been decent and played quite an important role in our winning run, whereas Morris for me does not offer enough and I find it strange that Pringle has been left out of the last few games.

Next Saturday is now massive if we are to make the top 3