• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Newcastle

drwhoman

There is now another Stare owned club in the Premier League, a State that is guilty of human rights abuses and worse. Still Newcastle’s fans do not care. The money to come will buy a well known Manager and presumably some well paid mercenaries to restore Toon to its former glory, whenever that was. Steve Bruce is not the greatest Manager, particularly given the limited resources Ashley gave him, but he has served the Club loyally and it is sad to see the abuse he has had to put up with today. Still, his final pay will be a good one!
Maybe it is all part of Boris’s levelling up strategy given the cancellation of the cross country train line!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
While I have always felt for the Toon fans, who have suffered more than most over several decades. However, this takeover has crossed a line. It is a blatant attempt to “sports wash” a blood stained regime. The Saudis make the Glazers, Fenway and even Abramovic pussycats in comparison.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
I would love nothing more that for Newcastle to sack Steve Bruce and get relegated. Newcastle fans might be the most deluded in the world. Newcastle is a mediocre club. ,When was this 'former glory'? They came second in the league in the 90's when their arse fell out when about 10 points clear.

Seeing their fans dressed in Saudi attire and clamouring over a country that has committed atrocious abuse of human rights is so sad to see, and just re-affirms the fact that where money is concerned, peoples morals and ethics are soon forgotten. I wonder what any female or LGBT Newcastle fans think.

drwhoman

I would love nothing more that for Newcastle to sack Steve Bruce and get relegated. Newcastle fans might be the most deluded in the world. Newcastle is a mediocre club. ,When was this 'former glory'? They came second in the league in the 90's when their arse fell out when about 10 points clear.

Seeing their fans dressed in Saudi attire and clamouring over a country that has committed atrocious abuse of human rights is so sad to see, and just re-affirms the fact that where money is concerned, peoples morals and ethics are soon forgotten. I wonder what any female or LGBT Newcastle fans think.
I agree with this. I discovered that they last won the league in 1927 although they did have some good moments in the early 50s when Jackie Milburn was around. A City crying out for an identity at a time when its key industries such as shipbuilding are no more. They should not expect more than bluster from Boris who has let this purchase go through to appease his supporters in the area and to keep the right side of the Saudis. UK is the second biggest seller of arms to them apparently after the Americans.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
In terms of size, they are a big club. Their average attendance is just under 33000, higher than Chelsea, Everton and Man City so they are well supported but I agree they are pretty mediocre in quality. You wonder how many of the players on the pitch today will be left in 1 or 2 years time?

drwhoman

In terms of size, they are a big club. Their average attendance is just under 33000, higher than Chelsea, Everton and Man City so they are well supported but I agree they are pretty mediocre in quality. You wonder how many of the players on the pitch today will be left in 1 or 2 years time?
A good point Ian. St Maximin and one or two others perhaps. In all this there has not been much comment about the players. Very uncertain times for them. I know Shelvey is a bit of a hot head anyway but the toxic atmosphere at St James Park yesterday might well have contributed to his stupidity in getting sent off! He knows that he and others will be on the way out sooner rather than later.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Their following was vastly reduced when they were lower down the leagues, think one season when we played them the crowd was around 11k.
Despite all the money they will have it will be a few years before they are challenging near the top of the table, the squad needs a total rebuild as it's very poor.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
I dont think that support is the same as size of club. The people in the north east are passionate, and as has been mentioned above, have had the industry taken from the area, therefore focus seems to be very much on the football team as an identity. I would say that Villa, Leeds, Forest and Sheffield Wednesday are all still classed as big clubs, but maybe its all due to nostalgia.

On the flip side, seeing forest green taking 88 fans away to the last game, and sitting top of league 2 says a lot about modern football. Its all about money sadly!

drwhoman

All a bit sad for Bruce although he can retire with 8m! As regards the attire thing, no doubt some folk thought it was a good idea at the time. The irony is that some sensitive Saudiis would have thought they were taking the mick! We have all heard references to towelheads!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
What a joke! I can just imagine what the Saudis would do if a Newcastle consortium had taken over a Saudi club. Would they have all bared their ample chests?

Seriously, I wish Steve Bruce a happy retirement. He did well at almost every club but never got to manage a top side. Few English managers do nowadays. He was unlucky as a player never to have been capped by England, given the mediocre players who have in recent years. He certainly makes my best uncapped Englishmen team. The £8 million will be some consolation.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It’s all pretty messed up really. 8m, I’m sure he won’t be too upset.

drwhoman

It’s all pretty messed up really. 8m, I’m sure he won’t be too upset.
I agree Ian. His wife will be happy as well! Mind you, he is only 60 and who knows if someone rings him! Will be interesting to hear who his replacement will be - they will have a big job. Success will not be instant given the team rebuild required. First job will be to avoid relegation!