• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

New signing

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Are we not stockpiling strikers though?

Yes, but as Ian points out, none of them are scoring apart from Cook. It is goals that will win us promotion.

I agree Jennings is not a central midfielder, but if he plays we will only need to find two more orthodox midfielders. Hence, five is plenty.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's unlikely that Collins will get many starts at first, so unless he makes an immediate impact off the bench, he won't make much contribution to our goals tally.

Player
Manager
John King
he won't make much contribution to our goals tally.

How do you know, he has not even arrived yet. If we had signed a midfielder you could make exactly the same comment.

The new winger has also obviously been brought here to make us more effective in the final third, the area that Mellon has rightly recognised as the priority.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
How do you know, he has not even arrived yet. If we had signed a midfielder you could make exactly the same comment.
Not sure why you're editing my remark to make it say something I didn't?

I doubt Collins will start ahead of Cook/Norwood at the weekend, indeed given MMs remarks about not resting players it's unlikely barring injury/suspension he'll get many games unless he does have an immediate impact when he comes on as a sub. I don't think there's anything contentious in thinking that, it would be harder to argue the opposite. Though if he does make such an impact, I'd be delighted.

Player
Manager
John King
If a midfielder was brought in they would be starting on the bench unless Harris / Hughes / Jennings got injured. So I am not sure what point you were trying to make.

Even if Collins starts on the bench, he can still come off it and score a winning goal. Mellon rightly recognises that it is up front and in the wide areas that we are weakest (in terms of impact, if not numbers), and that is where he has strengthened.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Collins another player with pace and FL experience, though with 5 fit strikers counting Connor J already on the books, a bit surprising. Central midfield is the area I thought we'd have strengthened in, maybe nobody on offer there.
I take your point, Boz. We are not used to such riches up front. However, for several years we have been relatively poor in attack. Until this season, we've had just one or two decent strikers, so we have struggled to score goals and therefore win matches. I'd go so far as to say it's a major reason why we have slumped from L1 and are still in NL this year. OK, there were some poor managerial appointments under the old regime, but even last year we relied too heavily on Norwood.

That lesson has been learned. We are now well covered for the injury, suspension or loss of form of our front men. Now the transfer deadline has passed, we can't sign anyone else, so Micky is wisely covering himself.