• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

New Keeper...

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Joe_TRFC said:
Anyway we seem to always have keepers who can't kick!

Indeed, one of my earliest Rovers memories is the great Billy O'Rourke who played in goal in the late 80's/early 90's, he couldn't kick straight for toffee. Always caused much amusement in the cowies :lol:

I seem to remember hearing that he died recently, does anyone know if this is true? :-(

Player
Morrisey
Achto cannot kick either but I put every faith in him! I say that we atleast give Matt a few games to settle in and get back first team fitness. Dino let in a couple in his first game!

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Matthew I can't recall me ever really having a go at Wilson when he was 1st in the team. I thought he did really well away at Walsall and thats just one game out of the five or six game run he had in the team... there may have been more games he did well in too. I think every player needs to be given a chance to settle in and its especially hard to settle in as a goalkeeper. You have to get to know your whole defence and your defence needs to know you. I think Dino did this very well... Murray I hope will get better with games and Wilson was okay and too be honest I think he got a bit too much stick for the penalty shoot out against Carlisle.

M

Matthew The Rover

Fair enough mate, I personally thought that after his nightmare game against Brentford he was near faultless bar that penalty miss against Carlisle. I think it's a bit unfair he was catargorised as "*****" after one game but this Murray gets another chance (although I agree Murray should be given another chance)

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I would probably agree that looking back he was fairly faultless away at Walsall and Port Vale and at home to Yeovil. Who catagorised him as "*****"?? I mean that Carlisle Shoot out was just unfortunante.... anyone can mis hit a penalty and I seem to remember hearing he was close to saving a fair few of those penalties.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Wilson was awful. Not because of a lack perhaps of saving ability, but the lad exudes NONE of that 'I'm the goalie, I'm in charge, don't give me any sh**' that a goalie is supposed to give out, and give everyone around him confidence. He completely failed in that regard and I think even blind brian could see that.

M

Matthew The Rover

I don't remember hearing Dino shout but he wouldn't be classed bad for that would he

Player
Morrisey
If you were at the swindon game you could hear Dino shout and get quite animated with his defence and with the officials. So from what I have seen he does shout.

M

Matthew The Rover

Swindon is the only of his games I missed mate, couldn't get home from Prenton Park at 1 am

M

Matthew The Rover

Well Wilson was fantastic last night, I know who I'd rather have out of him and Murray after their performances this month.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Yes he sounded decent and made a crucial save at 0-0. I personally wouldn't make a decision over who i'd want going by just one game though.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Matthew The Rover said:
Well Wilson was fantastic last night
i think maybe fantastic is going a bit far.. :???:
he kept a clean sheet, made a good save early on, and gave a solid performance..

however he wasn't really tested was he? #-o

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
At yeovil someone asked me do you think murray is ****? and I said I'm notdeciding after one performace, thats unfair.

But Wilson v Vale did play well.

M

Matthew The Rover

Ian said:
i think maybe fantastic is going a bit far.. :???:
he kept a clean sheet, made a good save early on, and gave a solid performance..

however he wasn't really tested was he? #-o

He made one really good save in the first half, stopped everything else, I recall he also made a pretty good punch in the first half and claimed just about everything that came into his area from a corner or free-kick

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
On the subject of keepers, who thinks Murray is just simply injury prone. Suffered for 2 1/2 years at Wolves, played a game for us and then gets injured! .. #-o

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
He could well be but I hope not as i'd like him to be judged by us on more than just the Yeovil game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I see Murray has now gone back to Wolves. Well thank god for that. What worries me is this comment made by Glenn Hoddle. he used to be England manager right?

"It was a tough one really, because Matt's done well at Tranmere and he'd probably have played the next two games up there. But, he's got a chance of playing for us on Sunday so, it was necessary to recall him.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
If you call that doing very well then he is mistaken. Only played two games for us didn't he and wasn't any good in either. I'm sure he's a good keeper with confidence but he didn't do it for us in his games he played for us.

DixieDean

Ian said:
I see Murray has now gone back to Wolves. Well thank god for that. What worries me is this comment made by Glenn Hoddle. he used to be England manager right?

personally i think Glen was simply protecting his player's confidence. I imagine Little has refused to play him and so he has been recalled. I think it was a term of his loan that if he was fit he would play.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
He's playing for Wolves today.