• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

National League

drwhoman

Thank heavens we are no longer there. Many clubs are in real financial strife compounded by the fact that they thought they were going to get financial assistance from the League. It is questionable whether the season can continue.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think the NL board are any better than the EFL in the way they run the game at that level tbh. It's a complex situation down there, which I haven't fully grasped, it's possible that their season will be curtailed. From a purely Rovers perspective, it would help us if the NL keeps going, so that teams at the bottom end of L2 don't roll over, safe in the knowledge they won't get relegated.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It would help us when we play teams towards the bottom though (ie. Grimsby). You would expect the overall impact on the top sides to be neutral.

Player
ian goodison
always have a look on the chester forum and they say the money clubs are at odds with the rest ( nothing unusual in life ) some right goings on, glad to be rid of it all

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Dover have placed staff and players in furlough

Player
Manager
John King
I don't blame them really. I have no idea how non League clubs are supposed to pay wages if they are only being offered loans rather than grants.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I gather it's a grey area whether they were originally offered loans or grants. The lack of crowds is a big factor at this level too, as clubs can't financially benefit from streaming media, the way those higher up the pyramid can and suspect had they known of this, the season might never have started. No easy answers now.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Fair play to Parmenter for sticking to his principles. It would be completely hypocritical for "football" to punish Dover for refusing to put themselves in a position where they have to rely on debt. As Boz says, no easy answers now and this should result in some kind of chain reaction.

drwhoman

I think they will refuse to play them and risk expulsion. It seems several other clubs are likely to do the same.
Yes- Curzon Albion are one relatively local club who have been threatened. The whole thing is ridiculous. The NL is clearly relying on owners to keep clubs going which can only work where there is serious money!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
My local club, Maidstone United have just furloughed all their pros and have said that if necessary they will play with a team of amateurs. It’s a desperate situation which makes a mockery of the competition. It’s difficult but the National League need to show some leadership and postpone or abandon the rest of the season. That is the only way to avoid chaos and the demise of several otherwise viable clubs.

Player
ian goodison
some interesting posts on the new deva chat ( chester forum ) clubs voting to end the season, some are placing squads on furlough then planning to play matches with whoever they can recruit title of the thread is IT,S ALL GETTING A BIT MESSY an understatement surely

Player
Manager
John King
The problem with clubs playing seriously weakened teams is that at the end of the season two clubs will claim places in the Football League - and replace two established League clubs - on the basis of results that are completely farcical.

Surely the season has to be scrapped at that level ?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The problem with clubs playing seriously weakened teams is that at the end of the season two clubs will claim places in the Football League - and replace two established League clubs - on the basis of results that are completely farcical.

Surely the season has to be scrapped at that level ?
If they can't play then the season should be finished with no promotion or relegation but it's far from certain that will be the case

drwhoman

Ending the season now is the only sensible alternative. Muddling through will not work.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
National league clubs vote to carry on but national north & south end season immediately and season will be voided once decision is ratified.