• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Morecambe v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Excellent result, look forward to hearing the full details later.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Stats say we fouled 22 times to their 4. Were we that dirty and Morecambe that clean? Also, a report says Shrimps should have had a penalty for handball at 1-1.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well that was pretty special. We were far from good today throwing away a 2 goal lead but great character to come back and win it.

We stared well, played some good stuff and their keeper made a good save from Mullin. But we backed off Oates and conceded a poor goal as he found the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Step forward young Gilmour whose free kick saw Banks flick a header in and then Harvey headed in himself. Second half a lovely curling effort from Smith saw us in pole position but they kept coming at us. We didn’t keep the ball well and I thought Banks didn’t do enough defensively. Once they made it 3-2 it was inevitable they’d make it 3-3 and it was another poor goal to concede.

Credit tho we kept going and a great run from Zoom saw Gilmour get the winner with a great shot.

A few points. Mullin put a real shift in but wasn’t on the end of a few balls drilled across the box. DMH looked lost when he came on and couldn’t keep hold of the ball. Akmmandu looked half decent but above all we had another poor refereeing display. 6 minutes injury time was a joke.

A win is a win tho. On to Friday night

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
OMG what a game! After 81 minutes there was only 1 team going to win it … and it wasn't us! They absolutely battered us in the last 20 minutes. A fantastic run and ball from Zoom, sweetly finished by Gilmour. That was a very exciting game of football! I still can't work out whether we deserved to win it or not - we probably did on the balance of things but couldn't have made it more difficult. Some of the individual performances have already been mentioned. The referee was poor again with seemingly one rule for them and one for us; having said that we got away with a couple of good penalty shouts against us. Big Steve had an even bigger aerial test today than against Akinde/Rhead and recovered well after struggling to win anything in the air against Oliver in the first half. Nobody played badly but our defence isn't the most mobile unit (Zoom excepted) and we do struggle with skilful players and quick passes coming at us. We found Morecambe's attacks difficult to deal with, they were quick and fluid and I think this is something that we are going to have to accept against some teams this season.

In the end I went ticketless, paid on the home side and received the "walk of shame" into the SWA end. A sensible call from Morecambe who obviously realised that there would be some Rovers fans travelling without tickets. It made my afternoon a lot easier and I'm bloody glad I made the effort! Great game!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A cracking game of football, which we just about deserved to win. I think the some of the comments above are a bit harsh on Rovers. Morecambe are a decent side, in good form, and played some enterprising football today, but we created the better opportunities over ninety minutes and probably deserved the points. As Sparky says, the midfield backed off Oates for the first goal, which I thought Scott should probably have kept out, but in general I did not think we defended badly, despite the scoreline. I thought it was more a case of two confident teams with decent attacking players really having a go at each other.

We started really brightly and should have been a couple of goals up after twenty minutes, their keeper making two great saves from Mullin. However, we were then sucker punched for the equaliser and never really regained control of the game in the first half, despite retaking the lead. Once we scored the third goal we had several opportunities to kill the game completely, but to give credit to Morecambe they found a second wind and we had a torrid spell of ten to fifteen minutes when, as ONIGP says, it looked like the game would slip away from us. Fortunately, up stepped Zoum and Gilmour.

Individually, Gilmour will deservedly get the plaudits after two assists and a goal, but I thought Smith was equally good and led their back four a merry dance at times. I thought Mullin was excellent as well, led the line superbly in a difficult role despite getting nothing out of the referee all afternoon. It was a pity he did not get a goal after several good efforts on target, but I suppose that is the difference between him and Norwood and the reason James will (harshly) take his place again on Friday. I could not see Cole Stockton putting in a performance like that played up front on his own, albeit the 451 system is working well because Smith, Gilmour and Banks are all willing to get up in support of the front man. I also thought Zoum was brilliant today, with two assists; he had clearly taken a knock in the closing stages yet still found the energy to bomb fifty yards down the line and set up the winner for Gilmour.

The only negative for me was the performance of DMH. He offered nothing again today, and it is frustrating that we have to keep including him in squads and giving him time on the pitch, purely for financial reasons. I would rather Cole or Tollitt had come off the bench this afternoon.

Into the play-off positions and a winnable game coming up at Prenton Park on Friday. It is a good time to be a Rovers fan.

Player
Manager
John King
Stats say we fouled 22 times to their 4. Were we that dirty and Morecambe that clean? Also, a report says Shrimps should have had a penalty for handball at 1-1.
No, not at all. While not as bad the official on Tuesday night, the referee was poor today and did not give Mullin any protection at all in particular.

Re. the handball incident, I think the ball had gone out of play before Banks deliberately, and slightly bizarrely, swiped it.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good to read all the match reports. Have seen the goals, the Morecambe first was a decent effort, despite the backing off, their second was a free header. Great work from Zoum and finish from Gilmour for the winner.

We've got a midweek Checkatrade game before Macc on Friday so some interesting decisions ahead for Micky as to which players will have to play 3 games in just under a week.

Player
aldo
would play scottie . and mullin as noors will prob be back on friday and akamondu or what ever his name is . thats twice we have thrown away a 3-1 lead . but at least we have won and that two in a row wins breeds confodence

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I'd pick a Maidenhead team on Tuesday.
What a tremendous result.
The winner, Zoum (carrying an injury) speeding down as he did shows the lads want to go for it.
At least we know if he's not fit next Friday, Monster Manny can step in and Ellis brought back.
Worried about Friday though.
We can all remember games when opposition got their first win/goal/away win for 50 years.

Player
Manager
John King
We've got a midweek Checkatrade game before Macc on Friday so some interesting decisions ahead for Micky as to which players will have to play 3 games in just under a week.
Nobody that matters I would hope.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think we have to select at least four outfield players who started this game for the Checkatrade. Given financial issues we don't need to be picking up fines for non-compliance.

Player
Manager
John King
No, but I am sure Mellon will pick the weakest team possible within the rules.

Player
aldo
one thing wish the idiots would leave smoke bombs and flares at home . TRFC dont have lots of cash and mp said last season that we where close to getting fined . it dosent help the club and they are stupid and dangerous .so please leave them at home

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Thanks for the reports guys, I was at hope watching the scores come through and thought we had blown it but a great effort to win it at the end, we are keeping the momentum going and I am looking forward to next Friday's game although rather wary as they have not yet got a league win this season.

As for the game on Tuesday I think with Harris still injured we are short of options in centre midfield but it is an ideal opportunity for the likes of Ellis, Caprice, Cole and several others to get some more game time

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Anyone know what sparked the handbags at the end of the game?
Maybe a bit of sour grapes. I think hot head Ellison had something to do with it before Nico got involved. Davies look outraged, so not sure what was said.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I think the match finished with one of the Morecambe players on the deck in/around our penalty area, so it may have had something to do with that. There did seem to be a pause of a minute or so after the final whistle before it all kicked off though. To be honest it was quite a long way away and I, probably like most of the SWA at that moment, was focusing on the players who had started to come over to acknowledge the support rather than what was kicking off behind them.