• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

mk v rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks for the report RLC. It sounds like the addition of Wilson as well as the others performing so well really helped to knit things together. Of course it always helps when your striker knows where the goal is, he made those goals look incredibly easy but took them extremely well. I also thought Dons looked like a very poor side which is encouraging as you sometimes wonder where we sit when struggling at the wrong end of the table.

Like you say with others to come back we might start seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. :thumbsup:

Player
aldo
connor was lucky to stay on . i think he is out of his depth . i do love him he has been amazing and yes it was cookie . just listening to murtheys interview on yutube and the mk dons owner comes on saying how fantastic he was . just shows you what a game he has had

Player
aldo
next weekend will be interesting . who starts with Rush up top with the Ferry man back in full training . and Payne back . or do you just leave it . although we are playing the leaders .. the dons where poor . and i don,t think they will give us the space that the dons gave us , but the lads can take so much from the game . and at last we now have a scoring striker

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just out of interest, who was our last player to score a hat trick ? Cook against Gateshead (early 2018 I think) when he scored all four in a 4-2 victory ?
More interesting would be to know who scored our last hat-trick in the EFL. That must be a while ago. Was it Lowe against Coventry?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
More interesting would be to know who scored our last hat-trick in the EFL. That must be a while ago. Was it Lowe against Coventry?
Yes it would have been Ryan Lowe.

As for the options for next week up front, I would leave Payne on the bench as well as Ferrier if he is fit enough and start with Jennings just behind RHM

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Having caught up with the highlights, very impressed how Rushian took his chances. The footage of the sending-off was unclear, from that angle it didn't look a nailed on red.

While I'd imagine Micky will pick what he thinks is our strongest xi, wonder if Wycombe might rest some for the Cup, given they're in with a good chance of promotion and don't have a particularly large squad.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Some very good summaries. RHM did great yes but as others said Wilson also was superb - a real quality player at this level. He seemed to have loads of time and is strong as well - lovely through ball to Morris for the first goal. Hope he stays fit. Nelson looked a bit rusty which could be expected but is definitely preferable to Ray.
We did play against 10 men however for a long period. Looked at the highlights and even in slow motion it is difficult to see but from the player's reaction it seemed like it deserved red. Jennings though could have been sent off. No replay shown in the highlights so cannot be sure how bad it was but a swinging elbow can be red on another day.
Would we have won if it had been 10 v 10 who knows . Considering MKD can't score goals they scored today with truly abysmal defending - no one near him at all so he had loads of time to shoot. Also they had a few chances which could have gone in on another day so I do feel we need to temper our enthusiasm in that MKD were awful yet we still had a few moments at the back.
Nevertheless the players looked so much more confident today. played with skill and speed and not hoofing balls up is the way to go - even Rides who did well at CB played a few balls along the floor today! Getting that bit of space away from the relegation zone is critical especially as we should not 100% right off Bolton - as I said before the season starts if they are only 10 points or so off safety by Christmas they will likely spend big in the transfer window since they will feel they have a realistic chance of staying up..
Next week will be interesting - Payne will he come back in - could he play the foil for RHM? Will MM drop Connor who I also feel is being found out a bit at this level? Play CBT in Connor's role? Interesting to see what MM does but hats off to him I wasn't expecting that formation though being super critical if he sees RHM in training day after day why has he preferred Mullin/ CBT to him until yesterday?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As for the options for next week up front, I would leave Payne on the bench as well as Ferrier if he is fit enough and start with Jennings just behind RHM
Yes, I agree. I am not totally convinced by Connor but he had a good understanding with RHM yesterday, similar to his relationship with Norwood last season.

It makes a big difference to the midfield when there are strikers making good runs ahead of them. We have bemoaned a lack of creativity this season, but Danns, Jennings, Morris and Perkins are all capable of picking a pass. The movement from the forwards has been non-existent at times, with Mullin and Payne both tending to come towards the ball.

I did not think MK had us in any real trouble in the first half. Yes, they huffed and puffed and forced a few corners, but I can only remember one genuine chance which was flicked over the bar. I thought we defended very well for the most part.

It was more of a straight arm from Connor, rather than a swinging elbow. Lewington was his usual self trying to get him sent off and level things up, but there was no way it was a red card offence.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Having see more of the highlights, I don't think it was a red card for Connor, to me it seemed looked he accidentally caught him with his arm rather than an elbow.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Ok thanks RLC and Bigmart for confirming re Connor..

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is interesting to compare our points return from recent matches with the games in the early weeks of the season, as some kind of measure of our progress.

If you exclude the match against Bolton's kids, we picked up three points from the first seven matches. In the last seven games we have picked up ten points, despite an ongoing injury crisis.

Those statistics must suggest that we are adapting to the division and give us some encouragement for the rest of the season. If our overall points return remains reasonable, occasional thrashings like the Sunderland game are largely irrelevant in my view. I also won't be too despondent if (as expected) we lose the next two league games against high-flying teams.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Interesting now to look at the current position of all the teams who were promoted from League Two last season.

We all know Bury's fate. Yesterday, MK Dons dropped into the relegation zone. Since the Cowleys' departure, Lincoln have slid down the table. If we win our game in hand, we will overtake the Imps to become the best of the four promoted teams.

This tells me two things. League One is significantly stronger than League Two. And Rovers are adapting better than most. ;)

drwhoman

Interesting comments about Wilson by ADD. I was reading a Guardian article that said that in 2016 he was being talked about as the next big thing for WBA. Obviously, injuries have done him no favours but if he stays fit we might have one really good player for the season.