• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

mk v rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think on the evidence of the Southend game, would have stuck with Mullin up front, though to be fair to RHM he was initially deployed in a wide role that day. Assuming Kane as RWB and Caprice as the right side of a back 3, though suppose could switch them. Unsure how this will pan out.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Seems an odd selection, got a bad feeling about todays game

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Level at half time they are now down to ten men got take advantage in the 2nd half and win

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A big win, look forward to reading reports from any who went

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Fantastic and RHM really knows where the goal is. Let's hope we see more from him going forward.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A great performance and result. Tactics and team selection were spot on, Wilson was excellent and Hepburn Murphy was sensational. Could have been six or seven and I'm not sure the red card influenced the result that much.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
MK Dons have sacked their manager Paul Tisdale

Player
aldo
not a suprise hep murth was superb . mm did get it spot on . a little sloppy for there goal . and yes could and should have been more . off the pub now a very happy chappy

Player
aldo
ive been to two away games in my life and seen two wins . the first one Ian Muir got the winner . against Bradford

Player
Manager
John King
I think today's game was the first time this season we have clearly been better than the opposition over ninety minutes, irrespective of refereeing decisions. In the first half we looked sharper, quicker and more imaginative than MK, with Hepburn Murphy's pace causing them no end of problems, and we should really have been two or three ahead before the equaliser, RHM and Jennings both missing other good chances. The first goal was a great move involving Wilson and Morris, which ended with a poacher's finish at the near post from RHM, something we have not seen much of from the other strikers this season. We generally defended solidly, if a little too deep at times, and only switched off on one occasion, with Reeves given too much time to pick his spot.

The red card did have some influence on the game, giving RHM even more space to run into after half time, but I think we might have won the game regardless. As it was, the MK defence could not cope with him at all after the break and we cut them to ribbons: the second and third goals were both the result of good pace and movement from Murphy, with some excellent build up play as well, and we created numerous other chances in the closing stages.

A lot of credit has to go to Mellon for the performance. We set up in a 532 with numerous players out of position (Wilson at left wing back and Morris in a midfield three, with Rides in the centre of defence) in the first half, before switching to a back four when it was eleven versus ten, but looked the better balanced side throughout.

Individually, nearly everybody played well. RHM will deservedly get the headlines, but I thought Wilson was just as impressive: even played out of position, he glided past players with ease and always had a picture of what was around him, as well as being solid defensively. Morris was hugely influential again, Danns excellent, Perkins still not quite his usual self. At the back, Ridehalgh was solid and Monthe was back to his imperious best. Nelson had an up and down game, which you might expect after a lengthy lay off. Connor linked well with RHM and got an assist for the second goal, but I am still not sure about him at this level. He is still too sloppy on the ball at times and does not read the game around him quickly enough: I think the performance today really benefited from having Danns, Morris and Wilson all in the team and interlinking; proper footballers with good vision and awareness who read the game well.

With Ferrier, Payne and others to come back into the squad next week, we finally have some difficult selection decisions to make for positive reasons.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Great result, credit to Micky for the innovative tactics. What was their red card for?

Player
Manager
John King
Great result, credit to Micky for the innovative tactics. What was their red card for?
Studs up on Neil Danns. I was too far away to see whether a red rather than a yellow was justified, but Danns was clearly hurt.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Great result. Glad we have introduced some pace in the middle and i always thought RHM had shown he is nearer the finished article than CBT. He certainly delivered today. Well done MM for mixing it up.

Player
Manager
John King
Just out of interest, who was our last player to score a hat trick ? Cook against Gateshead (early 2018 I think) when he scored all four in a 4-2 victory ?