• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

MK Dons v Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Like Peterborough, MK Dons have been one of our bogey teams in recent years. While other teams seem to beat them with ease, we have struggled to get a point or even score a goal. But we beat them (just) at PP this season and they are out of form at the moment, so I am hoping we can get something from MK Stadium for the first time. I think it will depend on whether Lowe and/or Cassidy can end their recent drought. I am expecting a few goals from one or both teams.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I am hoping it isnt a similar outcome to the Peterborough game a couple of weeks ago i.e. we're up against a side out of form, who lost 3-0 at Carlisle on Tuesday. Karl Robinson has said some players will never play for him again and bemoaned the loss of 4 players recently (including Dale Jennings).

An ideal opportunity for us then! I thought the same against Posh who since beating us after their dire run beforehand, have shipped 8 goals in 2 games albeit winning one of them against 10 man Notts County.

Ronnie will have a real dilemma. 2 games at home with Jake/Ryan combo hasnt exactly worked yet. Away at Dons do we play 2 up front? Risky perhaps so expect Koumas to come back in with a 5 man midfield. Unless Robbo still has big fitness issues he may come in although Kirby may give more protection to Pennington.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with most of Sparky's comments above. MK have lost a couple of key players in January - Bamford and Shaun Williams in addition to Jennings - and their current away form is dire, but they are always strong at home and our record at Stadium MK is abysmal: no points from our previous visits and not even a goal to show for our efforts as far as I am aware. That said, if we can't get anything there on Saturday we probably never will.

I would definitely like to see Koumas back in the side, as he is a calming influence and is the only player we have who is genuinely comfortable in possession. However, I would imagine Cassidy is obliged to play, so Jason may have to sit it out again. This is the kind of game where the decision to go with two forwards looks decidedly risky, although from Ronnie's comments I think it is likely we will play some kind of 4-5-1 formation, probably with Lowe in a number ten role behind Cassidy.

Ideally, I think Kirby should be rested for a couple of games: I suppose it would be possible for Koumas to play a left midfield role, but I would not fancy seeing him chasing their winger up and down the line all game.

I would presume the match must be in some doubt given tomorrow's weather forecast. If it does go ahead, a point should keep us out of the bottom four.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A team that is ripe for the taking but I cant see anything other than a win to them 2 0

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I would worry if we're in a must play situation with Cassidy and am not inspired with the idea of our main striker Lowe playing behind an out of form Cassidy in 4-4-1-1 formation. If Ridehalgh is match fit having resumed training wouldn't mind seeing him at left-back with Horwood in front of him. Kirby has lost his confidence, Robinson is too far below the requisite fitness and Koumas won't track back enough for any of them to be ideal on the left of midfield. Elsewhere, given the lack of options and Ronnie's 'Wallace must start' mentality, can't see any changes.

I think we might break our scoring duck at Franchise Fields but that's as good as it gets.

Player
Liam Palmer
We've got a full squad, we're playing a team who appear to be in crisis, there's a "positive feeling" in the dressing room and we're "turning a corner" according to Evan Horwood.

3-0 to MK then.

Seriously, we've got to go after them, surely. If we sit back and play it cagey we're inviting trouble. Ever the optimist, I'm going for a 2-1 defeat. OK, a draw then.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Koumas is a great player with the ball and can sure up the midfield, but he's certainly not a player who will track/chase others. Having said that, I think we need his quality in midfield as the passing on Tues was dreadful. I would play 4-5-1 and try and control from midfield. If we can pass and keep the ball, we'll have a chance. I think anything else is a certain defeat. I think we also need to give Cassidy a chance. We know what he can do and it's only been two games. I know we don't have time on our side, but he'll get us goals.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Ian, Cassidy hasn't scored in I think his last 35 appearances I doubt it will change much with us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Superb!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
There's only one reason we won. - I didn't go! I've had a bad run of results for some time and always miss the best games in the south-east. I had hoped to go, but couldn't as a mate was doing me a favour.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
This was a fantastic result as we rarely got anything there. From reports we struggling in the first half but were much better in the 2nd half. Happy days and has made my weekend.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Fantastic performance from Rovers and a thoroughly deserved victory. In the second half we completely controlled the game and were immense.

The first 45 minutes went according to the script with MK dominating possession and having a number of efforts on goal. Defensively I thought we were a bit sloppy, not the back four but as a team. We did not get tight enough or tackle in the right areas - although the pace at which MK moved the ball made it difficult to tackle - and got pushed far too deep. Having said that, we kept our shape well and filled in space, and MK only had one really clear opportunity, which Powell put over from ten yards.

At half time it was clear we made a tactical change, as we pressed twenty yards higher up the pitch in the second half, with Wallace and Koumas getting up in support of Cassidy and hounding their centre halves every time they tried to play out from the back. As a result, they kept punting it long, we picked up the pieces and controlled the midfield. They say fortune favours the brave, so full marks to the manager and players for such a positive second half display, when we could easily have sat back and hoped to nick a point.

The midfield trio of Wallace, Koumas and Jennings were superb in the second half, as was Kennedy out wide. In the second half Wallace really drove us forward and played as well as I have ever seen him play. My men of the match, however, would be Taylor and Cassidy: a fantastic block by Ash on one of MK's rare forays forward in the second half saved a certain goal and Jake was excellent in the lone striker role, strong, hard working and also did really well to set up Lowey for the winner (just proves that the two of them can link up). Lowe played wide right, but played intelligently to run the channels and get into the box when we were in possession.

The feeling when Lowey slotted home the winner was one of the best I have had as a Rovers fan in a long time, and our first goal at Stadium MK certainly came at the perfect moment.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report RLC and glad you enjoyed the day so much. A good and much-needed win, given some of the other results today.

I note Ryan didn't follow the convention of not celebrating a goal against a former club. ;)

Player
Backayogo
The usual abysmal first half and then after, I guess, a good rollicking, we got going. We really have to stop this only really playing and putting the effort in in the second half. We are capable of playing a good 90 minutes. Great day out, great feeling when the goal went in and a great stadium. Thought Kennedy was superb but weak finishing. Keep it up lads.