• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Micky

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think good League Two players have generally been able to compete in the SPL. Some players have even gone directly from the National League to that level.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Whoever replaces micky, we need to move quickly and hopefully back the new man of we are to challenge at the top end of the table.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think good League Two players have generally been able to compete in the SLP. Some players have even gone directly from the National League to that level.
Wow. I was being overly generous then.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Whoever replaces micky, we need to move quickly and hopefully back the new man of we are to challenge at the top end of the table.
I'm not sure this is going to happen bigmart. There is going to be too much upheaval next season.

Alun

Player
Eddie Dagger Roberts
I will be very sorry if MM goes and I agree re Johnny King but we should not forget Dave Russell who brought him to the club in the early 1960s and who created a separate identity for the club in switching to all white strip when previously they had played in Everton blue. Dave's 1960s team played some pretty good stuff! The late 50s are probably best forgotten!
I agree with you drwhoman, Dave Russell is up there with the best managers the club has ever had, as you say he changed the identity of the club, from one that was just mentioned as an after thought when mentioning Liverpool and Everton, to a football club in its own right., instead of being the little brother of Liverpool and Everton ,Tranmere started striving to be their equal, all done while playing entertaining attacking football, Manning, Dyson, Yardly, Coombs, Mc Farland. all players I would love to have today.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think if he wanted to be competitive, he’d need better quality than div1/div2 players. I’d say we have good div 2 players, average in div 1. Am I being too generous to Scottish football?
I think even this Rovers team could compete in the SPL. Remember an Inverness CT team with OFW, Raven and Tremarco (all Rovers rejects) played European football! The standard in the SPL varies from EPL to L1/L2.

Micky’s decision to leave may stem from frustration that he has got us as far as he can and needs a new challenge. He deserves a crack at managing in the Championship or a decent L1 side, but you never hear any rumours about that.

He’d probably like to stay local and manage a side like Blackpool, Wigan or Blackburn, but ironically he seems to be better regarded in Scotland. Given the standard north of the border (apart from the Old Firm), the potential is incredible. He must feel he has a chance at Europa League in a year or so.

Player
Manager
John King
Mellon was linked with the Swansea job last summer, so he has shown interest in, or attracted interest from, Championship clubs.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think good League Two players have generally been able to compete in the SPL. Some players have even gone directly from the National League to that level.

I always think of Ash Taylor. Did ok for us in lower leagues but excelled at Aberdeen who finished 3rd I think in th SPL with him there and won some cups. Then he went to Northampton in league one and again did ok, but is back st Aberdeen.

Even Michael higdon scored goals up there!!!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Craig Curran went from NL to SPL and played 5 seasons at that level until last season.

Player
Manager
John King
Lewis Moult also went from Wrexham to Motherwell and was prolific in the SPL.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Lewis Moult also went from Wrexham to Motherwell and was prolific in the SPL.
As mentioned by a poster earlier, I think, there is a massive range covered by the SPL. The very top players (typically Old Firm) are probably EPL quality but decent NL players can thrive. It really is 2 leagues within a league.

Player
aldo
the SPL is poor apart from the big 2. so who do we want or more realistic who can we afford or as we have said do they promote someone from within

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Micky departing will take a lot of getting used to. It’s strange that every Rovers manager I can remember for the last 50 years has either been sacked or resigned in anticipation. Before that, Dave Russell retired and I think Walter Galbraith moved to Hibernian after a short spell in 1961.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Micky departing will take a lot of getting used to. It’s strange that every Rovers manager I can remember for the last 50 years has either been sacked or resigned in anticipation. Before that, Dave Russell retired and I think Walter Galbraith moved to Hibernian after a short spell in 1961.
Fair point, BBTC, and credit to MM. Is he potentially the first ever manager who has been poached from us? That's quite a scary thought!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Micky will take some replacing and unfortunately the new manager will be unfairly compared to him. I think we would have to give whoever gets it a year or two of slack, even though helpfully League Two has a generous four promotion slots.

Over the years, how many Rovers managers have genuinely been successful? Only a select few. And even with his vast football experience, Mark’s choice of manager was only third time lucky.

But his knowledge of this level and of the managers will be a lot better than when he took over. He will also know if there is a suitable internal candidate like Jacko or Parky. Although we are not the richest club around, I would hope that Mark’s reputation as an owner would attract a number of ambitious managers.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Fair point, BBTC, and credit to MM. Is he potentially the first ever manager who has been poached from us? That's quite a scary thought!
I think technically Galbraith resigned after less than a year, which included a relegation, so I expect he was set for the chop anyway. The only ex-manager of hours to go on to greater things is probably Brian Hamilton, who was unfairly sacked by Bruce Osterman. He went on to manage Ipswich and Northern Ireland with some success.

Player
Manager
John King
The first in my supporting lifetime, although Bryan Hamilton was sacked for political rather than footballing reasons and moved to a higher level pretty rapidly.

Player
Manager
John King
I think John King was also offered the Sheffield Wednesday job in the seventies but did not take it. I think there must have been some interest in him during his second spell as well.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
According to the daily record:

Dundee United have agreed a £120,000 compensation package with Tranmere Rovers to make Micky Mellon their new manager.

drwhoman

Sad news but 120k will help in filling the financial black hole. My money is on Parkinson for continuity and also a reasonable pay packet. No need to pay for Managers from elsewhere or the out of work. As has been said before, anyone from outside will have their own views on players and playing formations. If Parkinson were to continue Micky's policies then disruption will be minimised at a time when we are disrupted enough care of Mr Parry. Shame he and his boys stuffed up big time on Wigan! LOL).