• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Micky

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
After the Rob Edwards debacle, you would expect Mark to be wary of a rookie manager. However I suppose Parky is more of a known quantity and his Tranmere background would cut him some slack with fans.

Player
aldo
at the end of the day, we need someone who is willing to give youth a chance we need to develop them to sell them on. be honest about it who have we sold for massive amounts over the last ten years. the club needs to start producing players we can sell on to make the club get on an even footing other clubs do it but we don,t and have not for a long time. parky knows the kids and if it was him would hope he would use some over time

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think producing our own players to sell on for big fees is largely a thing of the past due to the EPP rules. We just can't produce enough players of the required standard. All of the most talented youngsters are hoovered up by EPL clubs.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
who have we sold for massive amounts over the last ten years.
There are very few we have sold on or made money from in the last 10 years - the most significant sums probably coming from Dale Jennings and Aaron Cresswell. We did sell Norburn. Beyond that, I'm struggling ... must've missed somebody surely! The hoovering up of talent by the larger Academies, resultant scrapping of Reserves etc., has made it nigh impossible to bridge the gap between Youth and First Team.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Getting players cheap from non league and developing them then seeking them on for profit like Peterborough is worth a go.

Player
aldo
when you see I hate to say it Norwood and cook both going for free and Jennings will prob go this summer for the same. ok, we would have gone up if we had sold James but can the club keep letting the best players go for nothing. at the end of the day, we need a Manager who produces players we can sell on that's where the club needs to be MP said that at the start of the season they want players they can sell on end off.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Really not sure about Parky if micky goes. I still think we need an experienced head who knows how to get out of L2. The longer we are down there the harder it could be to get back up.
He would be a cheap option of course but a big ask for him to deliver us promotion.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
but can the club keep letting the best players go for nothing. at the end of the day, we need a Manager who produces players we can sell on that's where the club needs to be MP said that at the start of the season they want players they can sell on end off.
As money becomes tighter due to the current pandemic contract lengths are likely to become shorter rather than longer. If a flat salary cap is brought in clubs will also be less likely to risk a "share" of that cash on long term contracts. Everything would seem to point towards even shorter contracts in L1 and L2 meaning that the likelihood of selling players on for a fee and profit actually reduces even further.

Player
Manager
John King
Getting players cheap from non league and developing them then seeking them on for profit like Peterborough is worth a go.
The problem is, the best non League players still cost relatively big fees, which are usually beyond us.

Player
Manager
John King
I think the intention as stated by Palios is to take cast offs from Premier League and Championship clubs and develop and potentially sell them (eg. CBT).

Player
Manager
John King
Really not sure about Parky if micky goes. I still think we need an experienced head who knows how to get out of L2. The longer we are down there the harder it could be to get back up.
He would be a cheap option of course but a big ask for him to deliver us promotion.
I think whoever takes over, an instant return to League One is unlikely. There just are not many managers that will guarantee success unless they have serious money to spend, and if it is an outside appointment there will be a fair amount of upheaval in the coming months.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think whoever takes over, an instant return to League One is unlikely.
Agreed. If we lose Micky we lose a lot of stability and a new manager will come in with different ideas, so lot's of changes to come.
I will be gutted if he goes.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A new manager will want to bring in his own players to play his own style. That would take time to build the team and allow it to gel. How many managers achieve promotion in their first season? Even Micky didn’t. No Rovers manager has ever managed it.

Player
aldo
if MM does do I think it will be an intern appointment, the club won't have the money to appoint another I think. look at the end of the day mm is still the boss we love him and he has been AMAZING if he does want to go I will always thank him he will always be our second most successful manager ever

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
AM, Club will get some compensation if Micky goes to Dundee Utd. Don’t see that the appointment will be restricted to an internal one, though suspect we won’t have the funds to get anyone who’s already in post elsewhere

drwhoman

I will be very sorry if MM goes and I agree re Johnny King but we should not forget Dave Russell who brought him to the club in the early 1960s and who created a separate identity for the club in switching to all white strip when previously they had played in Everton blue. Dave's 1960s team played some pretty good stuff! The late 50s are probably best forgotten!

drwhoman

Recognising the general standard of football in Scotland, would MM, if appointed at Dundee Utd, seek to take any of our out of contract players with him?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Recognising the general standard of football in Scotland, would MM, if appointed at Dundee Utd, seek to take any of our out of contract players with him?
It wouldn't be a surprise if a couple went up there.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think if he wanted to be competitive, he’d need better quality than div1/div2 players. I’d say we have good div 2 players, average in div 1. Am I being too generous to Scottish football?