• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Micky Mellon

ADD

Player
Norwood
Just seen that MM is now as short as 11/8 favourite with Skybet to be the next Swansea manager! He was 12/1 a couple of days ago before the play off final. And there was me worrying about whether Nors and Manny would stay!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It would be far more damaging for us to lose Mellon than Norwood. You could not blame him if he did go to a Swansea or West Brom, but I still don't see it happening immediately. The Swansea job seems a poisoned chalice since the departure of Jenkins.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
As far as I can remember, we have never had a manager poached or one who moved to a bigger club. I hope Micky isn't the first to break the trend. He only signed a new contract a few weeks ago. I know that doesn't normally count for a lot in football, but I think Micky and Mark have a very good relationship. Mark backed him in November 2017 when we were in the bottom half of the NL, when not many chairmen would have, and both have reaped the rewards. Added to that, Micky lives in commutable distance from Birkenhead. Would it be worth the risk moving the family? Finally, which is club has the bigger potential? It's not obvious to me that Micky could achieve more at The Liberty Stadium than he can at Prenton Park.

Player
aldo
mm loves the club he ant going no where . end of plus two years on the contract . if he does go its compo time

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
there is no chance of him going to Swansea

ADD

Player
Norwood
That's good to hear you know.... some people think otherwise!
Must have been some big money on him tho as he is now 3/10.on and toshack who.was favourite is out to 13/2. Very strange as come out of nowhere!!

Player
Manager
John King
I tend to agree with Mart that it won't happen. Swansea is hardly the most attractive job around at the moment; aside from the period when they had investment from Jenkins, their history is barely any different from ours.

If West Brom came in for him he would be sorely tempted, but I doubt they would take a risk on a manager unproven at Premier League / Championship level.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While anything is possible in football, this seems unlikely and the Swans fan who was with me at Wembley on Saturday is of the same view.

Swansea are predominantly owned by 2 Americans, brought in by Huw Jenkins. They underfunded the playing side until the inevitable relegation from the Premier, then slashed the budget further and Potter worked minor miracles to get them within touching distance of the play-offs before moving on. The owners are little better than those of Bury Coventry and notlob and it would be a high risk move going there. Given Mickey has no links with Swansea, there’s no emotional reason to go there. If WBA came calling it might be different.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Andy Robinson, who of course played for Swansea, is touting Micky for the vacancy. (Thanks, Andy. :( ) I must say Micky is the left-field candidate with others looking a better fit. I'd have thought Mike Flynn would be interested and available.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I can't see it.

Player
aldo
He is staying with us even no has been on the radio today saying that he will not be going eney where

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Good to see BBC reporting that MM is not in the frame for the Swansea job. Amazingly, it states that they have spoken to more than 60 applicants. With such a longlist they have probably also spoken to Brabin, Adams, Edwards, Parry, Barnes ...

Player
Manager
John King
It is rumoured elsewhere that they did have initial conversations with Mellon, which would be a bit alarming if true. Anyway, I am glad he is out of the running.

Player
Manager
John King
If rumours are to be believed, Mellon was interviewed by Swansea but did not get past the first stage.

Player
Manager
John King
I would be surprised if that was the case (i.e not getting past the first stage), however I cannot say that I am disappointed if true :)
Yes, hopefully rubbish, as I don't like the idea of him being interviewed elsewhere. However, it is hardly implausible that he was interviewed but was not offered the job, given the profile of some of the other candidates.

The rumours have come from several sources and do seem to have some credence.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If these rumours are true, it's worrying he's after another job so soon after extending his contract. However, it's only a rumour.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
If these rumours are true, it's worrying he's after another job so soon after extending his contract. However, it's only a rumour.
Much as with any player or any other employee if a better paid job/contract with a good club/company that suits personal circumstances becomes available then he would be foolish not to show an interest. Football management must be one of the most precarious occupations in existence and opportunities for British managers in particular to move up a level are fairly few and far between and will only ever arise when the manager's star is on the rise - as is MM's. MM is the 19th longest serving manager in the PL/EFL and he hasn't been with us for 3 years yet! Looking at managers in the PL it is a rarity for a British manger to reach that level working his way up from the lower leagues and is becoming more that way at Championship level. On that basis MM has every chance of fulfilling his potential here and if he ever takes us into the Championship will have fully deserved a shot in the top league. So I don't think we should be disheartened if MM is linked with, or even shows an interest in, jobs at a level above - it proves what a good job he is doing for us. God help any Lincoln fans who go into a tailspin every time the Cowleys are linked with a vacancy!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Good points, ONIGP. Perhaps my main concern was that Micky even considered the poisoned chalice that is Swansea City at the moment. However, such is football that many managers make more money from their redundancy package than their salary - Senhor Mourinho for instance!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Good points, ONIGP. Perhaps my main concern was that Micky even considered the poisoned chalice that is Swansea City at the moment. However, such is football that many managers make more money from their redundancy package than their salary - Senhor Mourinho for instance!
I agree that Swansea appears to be a poisoned chalice and I can only imagine that MM would have been interested if it was an excellent contract offer. I actually thought about Mourinho when posting but that really is an exceptional circumstance - there are definitely very different laws at play where English and European "elite" teams are concerned!