• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Mickey is back!!

If Nors was out of a favour it could be a maybe but from menory towards the end of the season he featured quite a bit under Paul cook and got a few goals so fairly sure they’ll want him to stay
In an interview in the local paper a few weeks ago Paul Cook really laid into the Ipswich squad - no names mentioned, but it made Hill's comments about our squad look almost complimentary in comparison.

But a few days later he was talking about Norwood, from which it seemed very clear he rated him and was in his plans.

I don't know if anything has changed since then but, on the face of it, it looked like Nors was going to survive the cull and have a role to play next season. If so, the player himself would be mad to walk away from a cub like Ipswich just when they look like they might start doing something in L1, especially as it'll be the last year of his contract and, at his age, possibly his last realistic chance to taste success at that level.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Agreed by all accounts he is on double or indeed maybe triple what we could pay him. He has a year to go and potentially promotion bonuses as well so surely he will stay unless offloaded on loan. He only started 19 games last season due injuries but scored 9 so with a bit of luck and a following wind he could easily see 20 goals next season and if he does that he likely gets a contract extension/ move to another club paying still double what we can afford.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think MP really needs to stretch the budget if we are to get out of this league. There are some clubs that have a bit of money to spend next season. I have no worries that we will have a tight group with the right attitude now that MM is back but we will need a competitive squad capable of matching some of the big hitters next season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would not rule anything out in relation to Norwood. Vaughan took a substantial pay cut and walked away from a big contract to come here last summer because he was unhappy, and the circumstances are quite similar. If a loan deal was agreed, Norwood would keep all of his final year of salary in any case.

A week ago people were saying it was impossible for Mellon to come back....

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, never rule anything out in football. And we are desperate for a striker!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The difference between Vaughan and Norwood is that Vaughan wanted to move closer to home.

Player
Manager
John King
The difference between Vaughan and Norwood is that Vaughan wanted to move closer to home.
But Norwood has not seemed happy ever since moving to Ipswich, and played his best football under Mellon.

I am not saying it will happen, just I don't think it is impossible.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
As much as I would be delighted if we sign Norwood I just can't see it same as rumours linking us with Max Power

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
As RLC says, the impossible is possible. Or words to that effect. Remember the pleasant shock when we signed Vaughan and Spearing? Ditto Micky’s return. No one believed the rumours until the deals we’re done.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There is where it becomes exciting. All the gossip and rumours, Micky building a team again. Gives me good vibes and the season just gone is but a distant memory.

Player
aldo
See Morgan Ferrier has gone goal CRAZY in Israel 1 in 14 games bet they are so glad they got him LOL

Reactions: Ian
Player
aldo
just the positive interviews are a super starting point now patience will be needed it is going to be a busy few months

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Interesting listening to Mitch Duggan on a trip to the moon about how much of the coaching and training ground work Jacko used to do instead of Micky, and what a great duo the two of them were. I always thought that was the case and you do wonder if Micky was tempted to bring Jacko back, despite knowing Dawes and Parky well. Not sure Jacko has a permanent job these days.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think it was the right decision not to bring Jacko back now, as his failings as a manager significantly contributed to our failure not to bounce straight back after the demotion. That's not to dispute that he was a great number 2 and it may be there is a place for him in that capacity further down the line.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Interesting listening to Mitch Duggan on a trip to the moon about how much of the coaching and training ground work Jacko used to do instead of Micky, and what a great duo the two of them were. I always thought that was the case and you do wonder if Micky was tempted to bring Jacko back, despite knowing Dawes and Parky well. Not sure Jacko has a permanent job these days.
They were a very successful pair and it was no surprise that Jacko got the job when Micky left. However, I don't think it would be a good idea to sack Dawes and reinstate Jacko. It's a risk any assistant takes when he accepts the manager's job. Jacko must have known this. So would Dawesy, which might have made him reluctant to take the top job until he had a little more experience as assistant.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Palios would have insisted that Dawes and Parky were retained, so I doubt that Jackson coming back was ever really an option.