• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Mark Rankine

DixieDean

here's the announcement made on SkySports:
-----------------------------------------

Mark Rankine will decide in the coming weeks whether to carry on his career after parting company with Tranmere Rovers.
The 36-year-old called time on his time with Tranmere last week after the club agreed to release him from the remainder of his contract.
Rankine has received interest from League Two clubs, although the veteran midfielder has hinted he may pursue avenues away from the game.
"We'll see how it goes over the next couple of weeks, whether I play on or decide to call it a day," explained Rankine.
"There were four or so midfielders in front of me and at my age if you're not playing, there's not a lot of point. "There is interest from clubs coming up that want that bit of experience but I'll see. I've had 20 years so I may explore one or two other avenues."
------------------------------------------

I find it very strange that Brian would allow Ranks to leave so close to the end of the season, especially seeing as we have so little cover in midfield. With O'leary and McAteer out for the rest of the season we are in desperate need of Rankine's experience.

If Little had given Ranks the odd 20 minutes here and there that would have kept him interested and perhaps he would be available to play one of our 2 last games. To me, this once again suggests bad management and it's underlined by the fact that Rankine might not even have retired!!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree it's bad management. It's very bizzare that a player would leave so late on in the season. He couldn't stick another couple of games out? and definately gives us some grit in midfield.. Little may just be too soft. He should have told Ranks to stick it out until the end. He can't be that exhausted that as DD says maybe played 20 mins in games.

BOBBY CONN

I agree Ian, Ranks would have been well up for a battle and was always commited, we certainly should have kept him until the end of the season, as you say, whats 2 games! Good luck to the fella though, he was fantastic last season. When he came I remember thinking 'what is Little up to now' bringing in a 35 year old workhorse, but he came good...

COME ON BOYS DIG US OUT OF THIS HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!=D> =D> =D> =D>

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Yes I was too suprised to see him leaving especially after the McAteer sending off. As McAteer is available it is not as critical but still strange that he went at that time.