• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Mark & Nicky Q&A

Player
aldo
should be interesting with some of the problems with food and drink at the ground and the transfer issues could be an awkward night indeed with some of our fans and the way some behave

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hopefully they will cover topics that need addressing ie the kits, the food and drink, transfer policy etc.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Apparently in his press conference today, Micky mentioned about a new recruitment process which is due to start soon so I would think more details will be mentioned in the q & a

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I believe we do need a new recruitment process, this preseason was a bit of a calamity, and with the recruiter leaving obviously it needed another process to be sorted. A change in personnel doing this would have his own methods, ideas and contacts.
And if it the manager is involved, all the better.
However if it involves the college and youth system development, or an academy that will be interesting. Maybe, the changes in the college announced has something to do with it. Or the plan to set up a youth college/university such as the ones in London and Manchester.
However the Q & A will be like those before. It will not be an open forum, the questions will be vetted. As well as the answers!

Such questions about the boards decision to employ other than MM, managers who were not the right fit or just not good enough?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Apparently in his press conference today, Micky mentioned about a new recruitment process which is due to start soon so I would think more details will be mentioned in the q & a
It sounded like the emphasis in youth recruitment will be on players of a similar background to Nevitt, as MM emphasised that the academy players are simply not good enough for our first team due to the impact of EPPP.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
It sounded like the emphasis in youth recruitment will be on players of a similar background to Nevitt, as MM emphasised that the academy players are simply not good enough for our first team due to the impact of EPPP.
Which is currently correct and the elite programme has been successful for the youngsters good enough for to play for England. But it has been used to offset the academy. There are still plenty of professional clubs that have an academy or similar and producing quality youngsters good enough to sell on or progress to play at our levels. I would add that non league clubs and Welsh senior clubs, still have a youth programme.
Since the closure of our academy, we have to bring in youngsters to fill our u18s, from other clubs who have been released. Of course that is the reason why they are not good enough.
At one stage when John Achterberg started coaching for ten years or more, a goalkeeper made pro. It wasn't until about three seasons ago we didn't have a keeper makes pro, that we only had one keeper at youth level. This summer Ben Jones made pro. But I think he may be the last for a while. Also, this current crop of first year pros, who are getting paid a pittance, have been given a squad number to satisfy the EFL, for satisfying the need for league rules to be followed.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I haven't heard what MM said exactly and agree with much of what KH says above, although some of our better academy players in the past like Kenny Irons were bigger clubs cast-offs, albeit we got them at an younger age.

I'd be a bit wary of the Nevitt approach unless it was targeting younger players than Elliott, who is too old for us to earn a fee on if he opts to move on at the end of this season.

Player
Manager
John King
Which is currently correct and the elite programme has been successful for the youngsters good enough for to play for England. But it has been used to offset the academy. There are still plenty of professional clubs that have an academy or similar and producing quality youngsters good enough to sell on or progress to play at our levels. I would add that non league clubs and Welsh senior clubs, still have a youth programme.
Since the closure of our academy, we have to bring in youngsters to fill our u18s, from other clubs who have been released. Of course that is the reason why they are not good enough.
At one stage when John Achterberg started coaching for ten years or more, a goalkeeper made pro. It wasn't until about three seasons ago we didn't have a keeper makes pro, that we only had one keeper at youth level. This summer Ben Jones made pro. But I think he may be the last for a while. Also, this current crop of first year pros, who are getting paid a pittance, have been given a squad number to satisfy the EFL, for satisfying the need for league rules to be followed.
The issue is that we can't afford to coach youngsters from the age of six to sixteen any longer, as they can now be poached for nothing by EPL clubs when they reach working age, which was not the case historically. We would effectively be paying hundreds of thousands of pounds to coach players over a number years for no financial return, which is obviously unviable.

The only club at our level to maintain a full academy are Exeter, who are out of the catchment area of EPL clubs.

The club would like to maintain a full academy, but it is no longer possible.

Player
Manager
John King
I haven't heard what MM said exactly and agree with much of what KH says above, although some of our better academy players in the past like Kenny Irons were bigger clubs cast-offs, albeit we got them at an younger age.

I'd be a bit wary of the Nevitt approach unless it was targeting younger players than Elliott, who is too old for us to earn a fee on if he opts to move on at the end of this season.
I think he was referring to the pool of players Nevitt came from, rather than his age specifically.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

Elliott is only 25, if he keeps improving then we should look to extend his contract past this season

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Elliott is only 25, if he keeps improving then we should look to extend his contract past this season
I agree. My point was that because of his age we won’t get anything for developing him, should he reject any extension to his contract and move on.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree. My point was that because of his age we won’t get anything for developing him, should he reject any extension to his contract and move on.
I would expect that the club would have realised this and insisted on an option to extend his contract. If not, it would be very poor business.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Yes a very interesting interview. Suggested that other are coming in to assist in recruitment? Maybe big Steve will be involved in scouting as well as with Academy? Plans apparently almost finalised and MP heavily involved but in a positive way. MM seemed genuinely enthused at the prospect. Let's hope so as some of the recruitment this time has been debatable at best.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would be very surprised if we were to offer him a deal that he would reject it.

Player
Manager
John King
I would be very surprised if we were to offer him a deal that he would reject it.
I think we might as well offer him another year now, as he is only on low wages and we don't have much to lose. It would be a disaster if he continues to perform and gets tapped up by a bigger club.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think we might as well offer him another year now, as he is only on low wages and we don't have much to lose. It would be a disaster if he continues to perform and gets tapped up by a bigger club.
I totally agree but since we extended Scott Davies around 3 years ago I don't think we've extended a contract mid season except short term deals

Player
Manager
John King
The most interesting news to come from the Q&A is that James Vaughan will be part of the new recruitment process, working in tandem with Steven Beck.

MP was very combative tonight and strongly defended the role of Beck, stating for example that he was key to the Norwood and Jennings signings.

It seems a new stadium is the only way forward if we want to go beyond League One.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The most interesting news to come from the Q&A is that James Vaughan will be part of the new recruitment process, working in tandem with Steven Beck.

MP was very combative tonight and strongly defended the role of Beck, stating for example that he was key to the Norwood and Jennings signings.

It seems a new stadium is the only way forward if we want to go beyond League One.
I must the start of it but caught the name of Vaughan, how is he going to be involved on the recruitment side ?
Pretty clear that Mark does not like social media to say the least.
Fairly interesting in parts, Mark is confident there are no issues with Essar financially and I think he is right about them.