• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

mark & Nicky Q&A

Player
aldo
good to hear from them talking about the projects they are going ahead with, the fact the club made a small loss at the end of last year and will be good towards next year, also they are looking at a new stadium and are talking to Wirral council over land and so on we wait and see on that, season tickets are frozen that's a good thing, Mark has said no contracts have been discussed and won't till season end, he is happy with KH that is understandable given we are in the mix

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, so let's all get some perspective. In all seriousness, it was pretty much what I expected. At least we all agree the iFollow coverage is shocking!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, all of the off the field stuff sounds very positive and the stadium move still sounds like a real possibility in the coming years. If a move is necessary to make us competitive in the division above, and ultimately the Championship, I would be in favour of it.

MP backed Keith Hill strongly, as you would expect him to do, although I did think it was unfair to compare his win percentage with Mellon's, given that Micky was operating in a completely different context (much poorer players and, last season, a relegation scrap in League One after back to back promotions).

However, overall very positive in terms of the club's long term future.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Here's my note and take on the main points.

Hill will be here next season, they came out very strongly in favour of him on the PPG stats and brushed over the perceived gulf with fans in part attributing it to no supporters at the game.

Finances are good, positives in the Beechwood project and others, no longer need Liverpool Ladies' money, season ticket prices frozen.

Stadium, they seem keen to move though will only do so if the sums add up. Mark mentioned starting capacity as 15k, still no real clues as to exact location. I don't want the new ground to be some anonymous flat-pack design in a location devoid of amenities and decent public transport links. There are very few good new grounds, though Rotherham's which I've not done yet may buck that trend.

Player
Manager
John King
Here's my note and take on the main points.

Hill will be here next season, they came out very strongly in favour of him on the PPG stats and brushed over the perceived gulf with fans in part attributing it to no supporters at the game.

Finances are good, positives in the Beechwood project and others, no longer need Liverpool Ladies' money, season ticket prices frozen.

Stadium, they seem keen to move though will only do so if the sums add up. Mark mentioned starting capacity as 15k, still no real clues as to exact location. I don't want the new ground to be some anonymous flat-pack design in a location devoid of amenities and decent public transport links. There are very few good new grounds, though Rotherham's which I've not done yet may buck that trend.
The PPG stats they quoted were actually misleading (or even incorrect). They had us winning the league on his PPG ratio, whereas 80 points over the entire season would probably have us in 3rd position this season, and potentially lower in the majority of other seasons. I thought the comparison with Mellon was also disingenuous. I think Disraeli said something about lies, damned lies and statistics......

However, I agree that they backed Hill to such an extent that he must be staying next season.

MP has previously cited Rotherham's ground as a model to follow, and it is definitely one of the better of the new grounds. MP also emphasised that there would be supporter consultation before making a decision on a design.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
A major positive was that MP was adamant that we will have a competitive budget and a strong squad at this level next season, in the event that we are not promoted.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
RLC, I wasn’t expecting much comment on the manager at all and surprised they came out with such a robust approach. The points you make about Micky are valid.

Player
Manager
John King
RLC, I wasn’t expecting much comment on the manager at all and surprised they came out with such a robust approach. The points you make about Micky are valid.
Yes, I was surprised as well.

I think from MP's perspective there are few, if any, unattached managers at this level that could guarantee consistency, so he would not dispense with Hill lightly.

He probably also has confidence that we can recruit well again in the summer, now that he is overseeing the process. Hill probably would be able to grind out results reasonably consistently if he still had decent players at his disposal.

What I do find strange is that supporter engagement no longer seems to be a concern, when it was such a major issue under Brabin.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Made the point on another thread that the timing of the Q & A suggested that Hill would be staying so although I haven't watched it yet can't say I am surprised that was the takeaway. Disappointing to me, as personally I don't feel he deserves it given how we have thrown away a superb chance to go up automatically but most importantly how he has been setting up the side in the last 10 games or so. Will be interesting to see how that decison impacts on season ticket renewals.
RLC's comment about "Hill probably would be able to grind out results reasonably consistently" says it all - but that won't get us promotion if we haven't gone up in the play offs.... it might just keep us up if we have but god it won't be fun to watch!
Finally re Boz's comment that "they brushed over the perceived gulf with fans in part attributing it to no supporters at the game". Think that is completely wrong - if fans had been there in recent weeks they I am sure will have seen and heard exactly why - would certainly have been reminiscent of Brabin's days...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I’m trying to think back to the Brabin days or a time when things weren’t going well pre COVID and wondering if social media was just as toxic. Or has it just naturally become more toxic anyway as that was another reason they stated fans were disengaged and showing there dislike about what they were seeing as we currently cannot for example vent over a few pints in the tent with your mates after the game.

So the current format is to watch 90 mins on IFollow, which as they put it is quite sterile followed quickly by a rant on Twitter. I can see his point there to a degree.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, I did agree with the point about venting on social media immediately after the final whistle, probably not helped by the fact there are generally higher levels of frustration with life because of what has happened in the last year.

However, I don't think people are judging performances more harshly because watching on Ifollow is sterile. For example, we could all see clearly enough that we had played well at Southend and at home to Port Vale, but there have not been enough performances like that recently.

Hill might win promotion if he is given a full season, but a lot would depend on his recruitment this summer with so many players out of contract. He consistently had Rochdale in the mix in his time there.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
On another matter, I wonder whether the decision to revalue the stadium in the latest accounts was taken with one eye on a stadium move, or at least to show the club's assets in the healthiest possible light with a view to securing more investment.

They could have performed the revaluation at any time since they arrived, so it is interesting that they have chosen to do it now.

Player
aldo
I think its defo to get more investors in as MP said we will need more if we are going to get to the championship

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Revaluing the stadium probably wasn't a concern until looking to sell up. A lot of money has been invested in the fabric of the stadium including the pitch, which of course would be mostly lost if it were demolished. The value of the stadium as a going concern would be a lot more than the value of the land cleared for house building.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree - the impression I got assuming we make the play offs is Keith will be here next season regardless of whether we go up or not.

Also of interest was that I think Nicola said we may be allowed fans in the home leg of any play off semi as long as the opposition can do the same in their home leg (could only be an issue if drawn against Newport as no fans allowed in wales yet for the foreseeable future I think)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As Nicola said last week season ticket prices have been frozen and are on sale from tomorrow

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I’ve never been so disinterested in getting a season ticket and I’ve had one for as long as I can remember. I can’t be watching this tripe every week under Hill.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I’ve never been so disinterested in getting a season ticket and I’ve had one for as long as I can remember. I can’t be watching this tripe every week under Hill.
I think this will have an impact on Hill being kept on for next season as I think s number will not renew.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, I feel the same way. I will renew, purely to support the club financially, but I have absolutely no appetite for watching the dross we have seen in the last two and a half months for the whole of next season. Something has got to give.

As Mart says, if the initial sales are sluggish it might focus a few minds in the boardroom.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I haven't decided on renewal of mine yet, for a variety of reasons. The quality of football recently does not act as an incentive though.