• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Mariners v Rovers

Match result

• Grimsby

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mariners v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Blundell Park
Wednesday, March 17, 2021 - 07:00 PM
Until: Wednesday, March 17, 2021 - 09:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with FNM about the commentary tonight; Adam Sidhorn (?) was really getting on my nerves. Can't wait for the return of Higgy. :)

That was an awful second half from Rovers unable to retain possession and barely troubled their keeper. Had the Mariners either converted the one on one, or George Ray's header been an inch or two lower then we'd have come away with nothing. While we needed to change things and the introduction of Lloyd and Morris were sensible, I'm less convinced about the other subs and felt Blackett-Taylor should have been given longer.

We have taken 1 point from 6 against the last 2 footballing sides we played at PP, Oldham and Crawley. Play like this v Exeter and it will go badly wrong.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Teams we’ve lost points against since hill’s come in: Walsall, Exeter, Bradford, barrow, stevenage (twice), Oldham, Crawley, Grimsby.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Keith has definitely been looking on forums as he mentions a couple of times everyone saying how well last nights results went for us !

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with FNM about the commentary tonight; Adam Sidhorn (?) was really getting on my nerves. Can't wait for the return of Higgy. :)

That was an awful second half from Rovers unable to retain possession and barely troubled their keeper. Had the Mariners either converted the one on one, or George Ray's header been an inch or two lower then we'd have come away with nothing. While we needed to change things and the introduction of Lloyd and Morris were sensible, I'm less convinced about the other subs and felt Blackett-Taylor should have been given longer.

We have taken 1 point from 6 against the last 2 footballing sides we played at PP, Oldham and Crawley. Play like this v Exeter and it will go badly wrong.
The co-commentator started by stating that we were inevitably going to batter them because our rivals dropped points last night. He then seemed frustrated after about sixty minutes when they had deservedly held us and went to the other extreme of slagging off every aspect of the display, and suggesting the season was over.

Most of us could see it had nil nil written all over it from about the fifth minute.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
the big prob is we don't have a forward scoring now the two lads had got a great partnership going and we have always seen to lose our best players to injury, at the wrong times but we are in a great position we need a little luck and goals from all over to help out, let us all remain positive, we can do this

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Highlights, if you can call them that:

Player
Manager
John King
Keith has definitely been looking on forums as he mentions a couple of times everyone saying how well last nights results went for us !
As they were saying on the This is Tranmere podcast tonight, he should just stay off social media. What purpose does it serve ?

All that matters ultimately is what Palios thinks of his performance, and he will be less distracted if he just focuses on the job at hand.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With hindsight, should Keith have picked such a strong side for the Pizza Cup final? Would a heavier defeat but keeping some players fresher for last night been better? I accept that most would still have played both games, but there seemed little mental benefit from the battling loss on Sunday as some had expected and a number looked very tired.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think we had much choice other than to play our strongest side in such a high profile game, not least because it seems clear that the senior players actually wanted to play.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
In one interview, Keith said he doesn't look at Social Media. Personally, I believe he has enough experience to know that a certain number of 'fans' are irrational and have predictable responses to a loss or poor performance rather than looking at the big picture. Certainly, other forums hit the nuclear button if Tranmere doesn't win.

In general, Tranmere seems to play better against footballing sides than the hoof/long ball types with the response to the latter being to also hit the hoofball button instead of the passing ball option. quite a few of the last twelve games are against teams who are playing well. I think seven wins out of twelve games should be good enough for automatic promotion. Without Vaughan, I can see a number of 1-0 scorelines!

The team looked tired yesterday and I think the enforced changes disrupted the rhythm somewhat.

Win on Saturday and that is back to 2 points per game which is what I think will be needed to gain automatic promotion.

Forever the optimist ;0)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’m not sure I learn much from Keith’s interviews. He has to do them and the result predictably always makes a difference to his demeanour, although he is always bullish. But who is he talking to? Is it the fans? The owner? The press? I actually think he’s mainly got the players in mind when he talks. He doesn’t always convince me but he does seem to defend/praise/protect/motivate his players, as the circumstances dictate, which I totally understand.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I don't think we had much choice other than to play our strongest side in such a high profile game, not least because it seems clear that the senior players actually wanted to play.
I was convinced he'd play the strongest side at Wembley despite Keith's comments about nods to the lads that got us there and the speculation on here that some would be rested.
I think tiredness played a part, but more importantly we'll have find a way of plying without Vaughn....sadly.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
It is a strange one for any manager at the moment, particularly the new ones. Normally you would receive sufficient feedback and build rapport from fans on match days and not need to look elsewhere. It is a challenge for sure and I can understand that communication needs to still take place. From KH to the fans it is via interviews and reciprocally via forums and social media. Sensibly evaluating social media feedback will always be difficult due to the keyboard warriors, many of whom may never attend matches anyway. I would actually question any manager who didn't care about the feedback of the fans! As soon as we are back in the grounds this "issue" will go away.

Player
Manager
John King
My argument is not that Hill should not care what supporters think, but that he should not scour the internet to try and gauge opinions. I think it is an emotionally negative activity and a waste of his time.

If there was any significant issue regarding supporter discontent it would be communicated by Palios, and he should not be swayed or distracted by comments about individual performances online.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
My argument is not that Hill should not care what supporters think, but that he should not scour the internet to try and gauge opinions. I think it is an emotionally negative activity and a waste of his time.

If there was any significant issue regarding supporter discontent it would be communicated by Palios, and he should not be swayed or distracted by comments about individual performances online.
I wasn't suggesting that you were, just giving my own view,

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!

I'm confused. Hill said he doesn't look at social media so I assume if he is indeed reacting to anything it will have come from players or the Palios' Of course he could have been economical with the truth by denying he looks at SM

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think when social media is mentioned, the majority of it is based on that utter nonsense that is Twitter. It’s very difficult to get any kind of rationale on there. If you took any notice of the tripe on there you are your own worst enemy.