• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Mariners v Rovers

Match result

• Grimsby

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mariners v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Blundell Park
Wednesday, March 17, 2021 - 07:00 PM
Until: Wednesday, March 17, 2021 - 09:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
aldo
the bloody annoying thing is we spent money on him, and it is not the first time we have done that over the last few years sack the scout and get someone who knows what there doing

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Going to be one of those nights. We’ve had decent chances from corners but can’t hit the target tonight.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well I hope Keith doesn’t sugarcoat that. Yes we can say a Wembley hangover but we were absolutely woeful in the final third. The absence of Vaughan is clearly massive and the back up isn’t good enough. It’s a game where the opposition keeper has had his easiest night of the season and we were dire.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Truly awful performance lacking in quality all over the pitch, besides from a few set pieces we created virtually nothing.

A big opportunity missed and worryingly we are going off the boil and probably should have lost

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Exeter to come on Saturday will provide our defence with a much tougher test so we needed those 3 points tonight

Player
aldo
god we do struggle against teams like this at times does make mad as the norm we do everything the fkn hard way we don't score enough from midfield Woolery has not scored since Vaughn has been out ahhhh drives me bloody mad

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
I have got say that for the first time ever , I switched off the commentary. Bad enough seeing a below par performance but the endless whinge of the commentator not called Phil was excruciating. Still, point gained over Newport and cheltenham. Need to take the positive. It will be interesting to see what team is put out against Exeter. Khan needs to be fit.

Player
aldo
just hope KH does not say he is happy with the display tonight if we are going to go up we need to be winning these games just not good enough

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well I hope Keith doesn’t sugarcoat that. Yes we can say a Wembley hangover but we were absolutely woeful in the final third. The absence of Vaughan is clearly massive and the back up isn’t good enough. It’s a game where the opposition keeper has had his easiest night of the season and we were dire.
Yes, we have not yet found an answer to Vaughan's absence and we may not.

The quality in the final third was poor. Passing, crossing, set pieces, all awful.
Let's move on quickly and hope we have some answers on Sat.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I have got say that for the first time ever , I switched off the commentary. Bad enough seeing a below par performance but the endless whinge of the commentator not called Phil was excruciating. Still, point gained over Newport and cheltenham. Need to take the positive. It will be interesting to see what team is put out against Exeter. Khan needs to be fit.
In the last five days we’ve actually gained on most of our rivals. A small positive. Ironically all the predictions were wrong. This really is a crazy league.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A very poor performance, but we take the point and move on. There is still everything to play for, and both of the sides above us that played last night lost, so we gained a point on them.

Grimsby were the better side in the second half and we lost composure as the game progressed, but I thought a draw was a fair result. The absence of Vaughan is an issue and Nugent does not look up to it, but it was a game where seven or eight of our players simply did not get going: Woolery has gone off the boil, and Feeney and Lloyd were also poor. We improved slightly when Morris and Crawford came on, but I think those changes should have been made much earlier. I think only the back five and Spearing come out of the game with much credit.

We always seem to struggle against sides that scrap and make the game disjointed, but we have generally reacted well to below par performances in the past. It will be a different game against a decent Exeter side on Saturday and we need three points.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I was thinking what a difference from Sunday. But actually that was similar to tonight in that I thought we could play all night and not score

Player
aldo
the big issue is we need someone to score, ahhhhhhhhhh time to take a back seat we did not lose so we move on and go again

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
They will also allow us to play more football though, so it will be a different game.

Yes very much so. As you say we have struggled at times against teams where the respective league positions mean they are scrapping and playing ugly. Whereas Exeter will be open and play very differently compared to the likes of Grimsby (although they gave us a good hiding at st James park)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, the usual OTT reactions have begun on social media but we may have to accept the fact that when we play teams who are happy to soak up the pressure and remain resolute in defence, we will struggle to score especially without Vaughan. It also didn't help that most players were below par tonight, probably the Wembley hangover. If we pick up a win on Sat, today is soon forgotten.