• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Manager next season

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Whether we stay up or not I think most agree a new manager is needed.

Step forward Paul Ince - who has just resigned from MK Dons

Worked with Mathias

Knows the lower leagues having done well with MK Dons and Macc.

Player
Liam Palmer
Ince said a reduction in funds for next season was the reason behind his decision to leave.
He told the club website: "I don't feel it will be possible to take the team forward as I would have liked due to the budget cutbacks."

And you think he'll come to Rovers??????

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
The applicants in the immediate aftermath of Barnes' departure failed to sufficiently impress PJ - don't think we can expect much better this time round.

Jim Gannon has recently said he wants a job in the North West. Would be very impressed if we could attract him. Wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with some no-mark like Jim Harvey though.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No chance of Ince.

Gannon did a great job at Stockport, less sure about what followed. He seems to be a fairly strong personality and I think he'd stick out for a better option than Rovers.

What's so wrong with Jim Harvey? There are some other good managers in non-league football and may be worth a go, given our struggle to recruit anyone with league experience.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
As I said elsewhere, Harvey's greatest achievement in around 15 years of management has been taking Forest Green to 8th in the conference. Ignoring any affection held for him as a former player, that's what we're left with.

Would rather appoint someone with a knowledge of League 1 and 2 football.

O

OneNightInGayParis

Whether we stay up or not I think most agree a new manager is needed.

IF we stay up it will be a massive injustice if Les is sacked and will take a brave man to do it - he will basically have achieved what seemed impossible at the point of Barnes's departure. I would not have put a penny on ANY manager being able to rescue us from the position we were in with the restrictions imposed.

Not saying Les is the best manager in the world by any means and he clearly has a lot to learn, but if he keeps us up he will have at least earned the chance to put his own mark on the squad.

Player
Goodison
The applicants in the immediate aftermath of Barnes' departure failed to sufficiently impress PJ - don't think we can expect much better this time round.

That's incorrect actually - Keith Hill, Alan Knill and Steve Cotrill were all offered the job. Hill and Knill turned it down because PJ wouldn't give them money in Januaray to change the team round whilst Cotrill was put off by RM's sacking. All 3 of the above applied for the job.

The manager we should get is Accrington's John Coleman - no money and he's worked wonders there.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Well yeah. What I meant by my statement was that the club wasn't found to be as attractive a proposition for managers as we'd hoped.

**** knows why any of those 3 applied if true. Obviously no money was available, and Cotrill, one would assume, would have known about the nature of RM's departure before applying :/ bit sceptical...

Agree that Coleman would be good though.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think that Harvey got Morecambe close to, maybe even into the play-offs before his heart problem, then McIlroy polished the job off and took them into the league. He did pretty well in the death throes of Chester City too. There are other promising managers in non-league too eg Liam Watson at Southport. Don't forget that John King started off in non-league too.

Can't see why Coleman would swap one L2 side for another(tho' he does live on the Wirral) and I'm unsure how good Accrington are; at one stage in with a chance of the play-offs but on a terrible run.

I'd heard that Cotterill didn't apply for the Rovers job, let alone get offered it.

DIW

Player
Goodison
I have a feeling that Les will resign as manager whatever the outcome of this season so we will definitely be looking for a new manager IMO.

Not sure who we would / could get but it won't be Ince.

We could maybe do with someone with a bit of profile, someone to get the crowds back at Prenton Park, maybe a big name who hasn't really had a chance in English football.

What about someone like John Barnes............ oh hang on..........

Maybe not. You'd have to be a right fool to go down that road.

Player
Goodison
I'd heard that Cotterill didn't apply for the Rovers job, let alone get offered it.

He did, then he met PJ...

As for new manager I tend to agree with SonkORLY about Harvey - it seems to heart over head for the reasoning for him although he's a good fall back option and I wouldn't be unhappy to see him at Rovers. I would have him as manager over Les any day.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
He did, then he met PJ...

As for new manager I tend to agree with SonkORLY about Harvey - it seems to heart over head for the reasoning for him although he's a good fall back option and I wouldn't be unhappy to see him at Rovers. I would have him as manager over Les any day.
RTID, where does your information about Cotterill come from?

I'm not saying Harvey should be our next manger, simply that we could do worse. A manager with experience at non-league level would be able to identify players capable of stepping up a grade, as Kingy showed us.

Player
Goodison
RTID, where does your information about Cotterill come from?

Some former board members who keep in touch with affairs at club, they hold shares etc. I think Cotterill may have been in the running when Little left as well not too sure though. Don't take my word as 100% accurate though, I doubt what I hear from people sometimes! My understanding is that Cotterill did apply though or at least take an interest until he met PJ.

DixieDean

There are other promising managers in non-league too eg Liam Watson at Southport. Don't forget that John King started off in non-league too.

No he didn't. John King's first managerial job was at Tranmere. :-k

Player
Liam Palmer
I doubt Gannon would take it on budget grounds. He had more money to spend at Motherwell.

Having met him a couple of times, he's a prickly, incendiary character who is likely to fall out with PJ.

If we stay up Les will be the manager at the start of next season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No he didn't. John King's first managerial job was at Tranmere. :-k

You're right, I'd forgotten about Kingy's first coming. I take it you don't think a manager from non-league could do a job for us then?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohh dear indeed. The problem the club is going to have is the problem they had a few months ago when they sacked Barnes & Co. No decent manager is going to apply for the job. The club is in a mess with zero to spend. I think he will make an appointment but it's not going to make front page news!

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Sonkorly and I discussed this on another thread. I can only see the cheap option being the best option as things stand. The new appointment will be either an untried ex pro, a man who has been out of the game for a long time or an internal appointment like Garnett. The money is simply not there and with the amount of loan players leaving the club its going to be a massive rebuilding job next summer.

Already am thinking that relegation may be the better thing now rather than later.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the major stumbling block when trying to replace Barnes was the fact that virtually the entire wage budget had already been blown. No decent manager with any sense is going to take over a team seven points from safety with an unbalanced squad, unless there are funds available to make changes.

Next season whatever division we are in, we start with an (almost) clean slate. Whoever comes in we be able to ship out six or seven players if necessary and rebuild, and that will hopefully make the job more attractive than it was last October.