• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Managegerial merry go round

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Going back to last summer, after doing well at shrewsbury once Mickey had left, Paul Hurst went to Ipswich. His replacement at Shrews was Macc manager John askey who had led Macc to the national league title. He was replaced at Moss rose by Mark Yates.

Fast forward a few months. Hurst is sacked by Ipswich, Yates by Macc and Askey has left Shrews today.

Askey is now tipped to go back to Macc and Danny Coyne is temporary manager at Shrews.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It wouldn't be a surprise if Hurst went back to Shrewsbury. However, thought the relationship between Askey and the Macc chairman had broken down, so a return to the Moss Rose feels less likely.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It really is a merry-go-round. If a manager gets sacked, not only does he get paid off, he's then pretty much guaranteed a job elsewhere. Crazy times..

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Askey was on a three year deal so he'll certainly get a few bob. That was a long deal for someone stepping up to the extent he was.
As uncertain as football management is, there's always the safety net of a pay off even if you're sh**.
Askey never really hit it off with the fans, there was no connection. Shades of us and Brabin. Would be surprised if he went back to silkmen.
There's a good shout for Hurst to go back to Shrewsbury though.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not sure lower league managers make much from pay-offs. Clubs at this level simply don't have the money.

Working as a lower division football manager strikes me as one of the worst jobs imaginable. Absolute hell.

Last edited:

drwhoman

Agree RLC. In fact being a Manager of any club has its challenges. At least at the upper levels they do receive enough to buy another Monte Carlo apartment!

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Not forgetting our old "pal" Phil (More Orange than..) Brown, sacked by Swindle

Player
ian goodison
I don,t know what some owners want at this level for every coleman @ accey or askey at macc it must be a hard slog not all clubs do well and as supporters we all want that but getting sacked at such short notice is crazy

drwhoman

And at the other end of the financial spectrum Scudamore is to get a 5m (250k from each PL club) retirement gift from the PL on top of his 2.5m a year! No wonder many people are fed up with the general state of things!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Some more interesting managerial news. The experienced John still steps down from Barnet and mad dog Martin allen leaves chesterfield.

12th place Oldham sack Harry Bunn after their hammering at Carlisle yesterday. It appears the board have high expectations this season for the Latics

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The Oldham sacking seems ridiculous to me. Their new chairman seems a bit of a loose cannon.

Player
ian goodison
article in last weeks mail from martin allen says one club was taking a manager on at £30k per year with no payoff if sacked but some are desperate just to get back in the game

drwhoman

Another example of the widening divide. How much did Jose walk away with - 18m? For failure!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
From all the media, it wouldn't surprise me if Sol Campbell was the 30k manager just to get his foot on the rung. He's been banging his drum for ages.
If it is SC, he's had a good good start, which will hopefully end tomorrow, but if he ultimately fails I hope he doesn't bang the drum to a different beat cos he failed cos he's not white.
He might be right that black candidates aren't given the jobs but ultimately they have to be good enough. Ince, Powell, Ramsey, Curle, Hughton have all cut it .
Digger? He set our club back a couple of seasons. Good intentions, but a sh** manager.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Fair do's to Campbell.
No sign of his bubble exploding just yet.
He must be up for Manager of Month award.
Hope so.......... they can parade it next time we're at their place.