• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Loanees return

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just when we are starting to get some stability to the side and performances are starting to improve, Kennedy and Pennington have been recalled.

Gutted, thought they were really good young players and now we have two gaps to fill in the side. I'm guessing Holmes will slot in at right back but I think we'll struggle to get a good replacement for Kennedy.

Really good players a this level at least, hope they don't get eaten up by their youth/reserve setup.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we will miss the energy of both players; Pennington was better in the attacking third than Holmes but perhaps not so good defensively.

As has been said, yet more disruption is not ideal, but at least the spine of the team is unaffected. I would rather lose those two than Koumas, Jennings, Wallace, Taylor.

Now we just have to hope Lowe's injury is not serious......

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Is there a connection between the recall of both and the allegations against Ronnie Moore? Both recalled before the end of their loan spells, which were previously extended.

I would agree both would be missed. Pennington got better with time, but there is a ready replacement in Holmes. Kennedy was really good v Coventry and is a harder gap to plug. Kirby doesn't take on players, Robinson isn't fit enough to last 90 minutes and who knows about Bell-Baggie?

Player
Manager
John King
Is there a connection between the recall of both and the allegations against Ronnie Moore? Both recalled before the end of their loan spells, which were previously extended.

Possibly. Which seems a bit strange as judging by their performances on Saturday, neither player seemed unduly troubled by the off the field events.

I have read elsewhere that Everton want to finish in the top half of the under 21 league as it is being restructured next season, which might be a likelier explanation.

Player
Liam Palmer
I wonder if this means JLAA will be recalled from Bury? Looked like he had a good game when he came on on Saturday in their win at Wimbledon - unlucky not to score.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We can only recall JLAA after 28 days, personally I wouldn't want him back don't think hes any good

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
JLAA needs a couple of goals to get his confidence back. I've not given up on him yet but he's been disappointing this season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think we'll be OK with Holmes and Kirby. I agree it's best to leave JLAA where he is for a while to regain his confidence and get match practice. However, if John Mac decides to go into the loan market, it will be interesting to see if he's able to do business. I think Ronnie was good at developing loanees.

Player
Manager
John King
Personally, I don't think JLAA is up to it and I would imagine he will be released at the end of the season, whatever the managerial situation is.

His brief purple patch at the beginning of last season is the only period in his career when he has scored goals and his career average is about five per season, mostly at League Two or Conference level. He is not a natural wide player either and would not really compensate for the loss of Kennedy.

I wish him all the best at Bury though; I think they might take him permanently in the summer.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Kennedy offered pace aside from his wide play. The only others in the Rovers squad who have this asset are Bell-Baggie and JLAA. Of that pair, Akpa Akpro is the better player. While I guess Plan A will be to try and recruit a decent loanee, if that fails, there is an argument for recall.

drwhoman

I agree with RLC that JLAA will be released in the summer as will Sodje and Bell Baggie. Joe Thompson might be difficult. I am not sure they will keep him, health issues or not. Andy Robinson might well call it a day. I am not sure we will be able to hold on to Wallace although I hope that Koumas and Steve Jennings will hang around for at least another season.

Player
Manager
John King
Kennedy offered pace aside from his wide play. The only others in the Rovers squad who have this asset are Bell-Baggie and JLAA. Of that pair, Akpa Akpro is the better player.

I think your second point is debatable to be honest. Baggie at least has youth on his side and arguably has more raw talent than Akpro, although he has not yet worked out how to use it.

Although JLAA is quick, he is a striker and has generally looked unconvincing when played out wide. He is not an orthodox winger who will look to get to the bye line and his delivery from wide areas is usually poor, which is why I would be surprised if McMahon saw him as a straight replacement.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Baggie at least has youth on his side and arguably has more raw talent than Akpro, although he has not yet worked out how to use it.

Although JLAA is quick, he is a striker and has generally looked unconvincing when played out wide. He is not an orthodox winger who will look to get to the bye line and his delivery from wide areas is usually poor, which is why I would be surprised if McMahon saw him as a straight replacement.

I don't think either are particularly good crossers or distributors of the ball. Bell-Baggie is most useful at running at opposing players and buying free-kicks, which with Koumas now a regular may not be a bad thing. Akpa Akpro is capable of scoring goals and creating something from nothing. It would give us another option if McMahon can't get a loanee in.

On Drwhoman's point about players being released, think ABB has another year on his contract after this. To some extent with those who are out of contract and we'd like to stay on, it will depend on whether we retain our L1 status and who's in charge both at managerial and boardroom level. However I'd agree it's unlikely JLAA will be offered another deal.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
BB has been awful from what I've seen this season although very little admittedly. I don't think we'll have any worries regarding keeping Koumas. I was always under the impression he came back into football happy to play for Tranmere and help the team rather than look to further his career elsewhere with his 'been there done that' attitude. Jennings is playing better than I can ever remember, which isn't a bad thing.

Although I believe JLAA is a better player than others on here I do have to agree that he may be living on borrowed time now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Arthurworrey has signed on for another month youth loan. Good news, given his performance in the Oldham game was his most assured in a Rovers shirt to date.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Seems like a good young player Boz. Will be disappointed when he leaves but at least we have him for a while longer.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree Ian and it's also a boost for morale that not all our loanees are doing a runner :)