• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Lionesses

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
my little girl is dancing around the house wow it's amazing fair play to them the goals have been amazing tonight commmmmmmeeee on Ladies weldone to you

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Thoroughly enjoyed watching the game. A revelation to see England win something at football and beating Germany in a final (before my creation first time around!).
Loved the post match passionate and animated interviews which were a refreshing change from the many mundane interviews in the men’s game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Superb result!

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
wow and again I had two little monsters dancing around the house, Loved when they showed the girls crashing the news conference Enjoy it Ladies you have done what the ( MEN ) cant and prob wont ever do

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
It has been a fantastic tournament and England have had everything. I would swap Southgate out for Weigman any day of the week. While watching the match yesterday I actually started idly wondering how Millie Bright would have fitted into our back 3 on Saturday. She is, surprisingly, "only" 5" 10' which is probably an inch or 2 light for the men's game. What a player, though, like all the Lionesses.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The criticism of Southgate baffles me.

The most successful England manager since Alf Ramsey, and arguably more successful if you consider tournaments played overseas.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
The criticism of Southgate baffles me.

The most successful England manager since Alf Ramsey, and arguably more successful if you consider tournaments played overseas.
RLC, my comment wasn't intended as a criticism of Southgate at all. What he has done to gel the national team together, engage the fan base, improve competition performance etc. has been excellent. Perhaps clumsy wording on my part. My comment was singing the praises of Weigman, who has done a remarkable job. I would swap out ANY manager for Weigman. I have never seen such clarity and confidence instilled in a team before, and to do it in 9/10 months is astonishing. Even Sir Clive took longer than that!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Weigman has done an amazing job transforming the side, who didn’t look capable of attaining these heights under Phil Neville. I agree with ONIGP that it’s pretty well unique in sports management.

Southgate doesn’t get enough credit for what he’s achieved with a squad that’s nowhere near the calibre of some his predecessors. Arguably only Harry Kane is currently in the world class category, though the emerging Foden should be. Contrast with Sven etc who had the so-called golden generation in their squads but failed to progress to the extent Southgate’s teams have.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Weigman has done an amazing job transforming the side, who didn’t look capable of attaining these heights under Phil Neville. I agree with ONIGP that it’s pretty well unique in sports management.

Southgate doesn’t get enough credit for what he’s achieved with a squad that’s nowhere near the calibre of some his predecessors. Arguably only Harry Kane is currently in the world class category, though the emerging Foden should be. Contrast with Sven etc who had the so-called golden generation in their squads but failed to progress to the extent Southgate’s teams have.
Since Sir Alf there are arguably only a handful of England managers who have come close to achieving the potential of the players available - Robson, Venables (with the benefit of a home Euros) and Southgate. Sven's teams couldn't get past the quarter finals. The majority have been abject failures - Revie, Greenwood, Taylor, Hoddle, Keegan, McClaren, Capello. Hindsight being the wonderful thing it is, it is amazing how the FA could possibly have thought any of these could have been successful. Indeed, at the time few of them seemed to be the logical choice!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Even Bobby Robson's record was not that great overall. He failed to qualify for the European Championships in 1984, although I think he took over from Ron Greenwood midway through the qualifying campaign, and he lost every game at Euro 88. The 1990 World Cup rescued his international reputation.

Venables was clearly a very talented coach, but it is difficult to judge him given that he was only in charge for two years.

Southgate is the only manager since Ramsey who, until now, has achieved consistent success.