• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Linwood to leave

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
I'm gutted. This is the first mistake that Ronnie's made.

Where else are we going to get a two-footed centre-half with experience at this level, able to play anywhere in a back four or back three, decent enough pace, very committed, good in the air AND under 25?

I wish Paul the very very best and I'm sure he'll impress at Chester - he's FAR too good for them.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
We seem to be really short on the ground with defenders, particularly if Sharps is on his way too......am sure that Ronnie must have a couple more signings in mind.

Heard that he was talking to Goodison about a deal? Like Goodison as a centre back but we still need more cover.

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
Im not happy at all about Linwood going. I was in the same school at Linwood and have talked to him when out drinking Etc. He's a great lad and best of all a Tranmere fan.

Id like to see Goodision have another season. I think he's a great Centre back. It was BL fault for his poor condfidence last season playing him left back.

Id like to see another CB sign and an experienced left back because i dont think Tremarco is ready =;

Yeah, Im sure big ron has more signings in mind. He's prob playing a couple of seasons of Football Manager / Champ Man as we speak to see if he can unearth a couple of players who will be worth £5 million in 2010-11 :wink:

I think we just got to let him go with the flow, he obviously sees linwood as having a few flaws, i mean just cause he was a nice lad at school and goes out for a pint in Birkenhead doesnt mean he is going to be a rock that takes us into the Championship

NBDH you are still talking a lot of sense. Have you mellowed in old age or is this the calm before the storm?????

#-o =D>

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
Linwood is a good player. The fact that i went to the same school and have been drinking with him (Hoylake not Birkenhead im afraid :lol:) means nothing. He is a solid centre back and has not been given a good enough chance. He is definatley worth another 2 year deal.

Hoylake, Prenton, Parkgate, down the dock road I couldnt care less. Should a footballer be getting hammered falling about legless and getting carried home anyway these days?????

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
He was drinking Coca Cola im afraid :???:

I local Celebrity? I would hardly call a person who doesnt play regular 1st team football at a league 1 club a Celebrity. =; He's just a normal guy!

Back on point, He is a good footballer, he can header the ball, pass the ball and has a good centre back and can play on both sides as NBDH mentioned. If we can offer Sharps a contract them im sure we can find a couple of hundred pounds a week for a good player who can progress further.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm surprised at this. I'd much rather have Linwood at the back than Sharps. What worries me is that Ronnie us going to be playing Sharps and/or Goodison at the back. Who knows though, maybe he'll get the best out of them. :whistle:

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
To be fair to Goodison I've also thought he has done well playing at CB and he got slated far too much for his performances when played out of position at LB. I mean he came to us as a CB and was told he had to play LB... it wasn't his fault. He's a decent CB who has a cool head and normally does well. I'd have liked us to have kept all three of Linwood, Goodison and Sharps.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
My only concern over Goodison at centre back is his ability to be stood in the right place at the right time. If we're going to be attacking then our defence will need to hold a high line, an offside trap (you know, the thing BL hadn't heard of) and time after time I can see Goodison being the one who didn't push out or step up at the right time and kept the other team's forwards, wingers, bursting midfielder or whoever onside.

BOBBY CONN

Good luck to Linwood however I have to admit I am not dissapointed. I thought he was average, I agree that he was good in the air, but he was too prone to the hoof for my liking, the quality just wasn't there and Ronnie has obviously seen that. Goodison is a very composed centre back (too composed sometimes I admit!) who has obvious quality. He was not suited to left back as whilst he was good defensively he was to slow getting forward and seemed to slow moves down. He should have been Brians no 1 centre back I reckon, playing with either Jackson or Sharps.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Looks like it is going to a tribunial over the fee as Rovers are holding out for what they think is a fair price as a fee must be paid due to him being under 24. It's on the official site now.

Player
Morrisey
I will translate.

Should never have let Linwood go. Far to good a player.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
And I will agree. He was a decent player. Although I have no real complaints about Sherriff or McCready who have been signed to play his position.