• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Leyton Orient Away -

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The situation with Stockton is even more bizarre following JM comments. If he doesn't think Stockton is ready at this level or stage of the season then why is he playing Kirby who certainly seems to fit this criteria.

Max cannot be faulted for effort and commitment but he has nowhere near the same quality as Wallace. We have been extremely unlucky with injuries recently. With everything that's happened this season on and off the field, I'm starting to think that we were never destined to stay up.

drwhoman

So as I understand it - we have to beat Bradford who have nothing to play for and Crewe need to lose at home to Preston who are third in the Division? If I am correct then surely we have a chance of staying up? Has someone rung Welsh and Buchanan and told them to do the right thing?:)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There are a few possibilities. Ideally, we need to win and Crewe to lose or draw. We might get away with a draw as long as other results go our way.

Also, if we win, Crewe win and Notts County lose, we would also stay up (As long as Carlisle don't score loads of goals in their last two games)

And.. If we win, Carlisle win their two games left and Notts county lose and Crewe lose or draw, Tranmere and Carlisle would stay up.

I think that's right, or I might have made that more confusing than it needs to be o_O

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We could win and go down or draw and stay up, but its now out of our hands which is depressing situation. As for Mcmahons comments about Stockton it just beggars belief really.

Player
Goodison
McMahon's comments are beyond the pale - he should be sacked with Goodison put in charge for the last game. It's pretty clear that the whole management team are inept beyond belief, having them in charge is like having a manager whos got the game on a 10 minute time delay.

As for next week, regardless of all the different potential permutations - we have to score a goal, and we haven't looked like doing that since Shrewsbury. It's been a pathetic last 4 games from everyone at the club. If we go down I would get rid of the lot apart from Mooney, Taylor, Power and Lowe (we'll probably lose Taylor anyway) and start again.

Player
Liam Palmer
It's fair enough to criticise McMahon, but the team is no better or worse than under Moore, a man with 20 years managerial experience rather than John's three months. Still, I agree Stockton should have been given his chance, he's scored three times more goals this season than Cassidy. If we had had Wallace and Koumas fit over the last six weeks, we'd be safe.

For what it's worth I think we'll win on Saturday, but cannot begin to guess what will happen elsewhere. I feel Notts will get what they need, it's just whether Preston can stop Crewe winning. I can't see Carlisile winning their last two games. We've been playing well at home recently and Bradford will be on the beach. Still, it's going to be a rollercoaster day.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
McMahon's comments are beyond the pale - he should be sacked with Goodison put in charge for the last game. It's pretty clear that the whole management team are inept beyond belief, having them in charge is like having a manager whos got the game on a 10 minute time delay.

That would not be a sensible course of action. McMahon has struggled in the last couple of weeks but he is hardly the biggest culprit this season and does not deserve to be made a scapegoat. There are people far higher up the food chain on bigger incomes than John Mac who should be looking at themselves after what has been an utterly inept nine months, from the summer transfer window onwards.

I also disagree with your suggested player retentions: we have to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. We should try and keep hold of Koumas, Wallace, Jennings and Fon Williams, as the spine of the side is decent when everyone is fully fit. However, several of those will inevitably leave if we go down.

Regarding this season, it is frustrating that yesterday was only the third time since November that we have dropped into the bottom four, yet we now look odds-on to go down. A terrible run of form has come at precisely the wrong time, not helped by major injuries as has been pointed out above.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
McMahon has not tried everything in his power to keep us up however. His refusal yet again to give Stockton any game time yesterday on grounds of inexperience, despite the fact that Cole has scored against a Championship side and a Championship side to be this season, yet putting on Kirby and Rowe who are equally inexperienced beggars belief. If he doesn't think Stockton up to it, then why have him on the bench and why release Sodje?

That said, I would agree that the assistant manager isn't the main cause of our current woes. The unbalanced squad at the start of the season compounded by a clearly past it central defender in the form of Foster along with a heavier than usual crop of injuries to key players have been significant, as have off-field events. My own view is had Ronnie still been in charge we would have scraped enough additional away points even with the injury factor to make safety. As the full circumstances of his betting offences still aren't in the public domain, it is impossible to judge if he reasonably could have been kept on as manager.

As for staying/going, it's near certain Wallace will be off regardless, while if we get relegated I would expect Ash Taylor to move on; even if we miraculously stay up, he may get a better offer. Of the rest, I don't know. Koumas if he wants to carry on would probably be willing to stay, Jennings hasn't looked the same player since the injury and has some responsibility for putting OFW in the position to concede the second goal. I see that one of the pro-contracts we've offered is to Sam Ramsbottom, a goalie. This suggests Mooney will be off, which is a shame as what I've seen of him suggests a capable keeper if not perhaps as good a shot-stopper as our current no 1.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
That said, I would agree that the assistant manager isn't the main cause of our current woes. The unbalanced squad at the start of the season compounded by a clearly past it central defender in the form of Foster along with a heavier than usual crop of injuries to key players have been significant, as have off-field events. My own view is had Ronnie still been in charge we would have scraped enough additional away points even with the injury factor to make safety. As the full circumstances of his betting offences still aren't in the public domain, it is impossible to judge if he reasonably could have been kept on as manager.

Yes, I agree.