• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League 2 aspirations

How will Tranmere fare in League 2 in 2018/19?

• Champions

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Automatic Promotion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Play-offs

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Mid-table

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Relegation fight

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
In a way, it would be better if Micky did get the job if he really wants to leave. I'd rather he left now than when another vacancy turns up in the middle of next season.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
When I checked St Mirren's page on BBC Sport earlier Mickey wasn't even in the running among the final four ahead of tomorrow's announcement so maybe he pulled the plug himself, who knows...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In a way, it would be better if Micky did get the job if he really wants to leave. I'd rather he left now than when another vacancy turns up in the middle of next season.
I agree stability is good for Rovers. So far as is known, Micky only seems to have been linked with the St Mirren and Salford jobs. Don’t get the impression he’s desperate for a move, but that doesn’t mean if a ‘better’ job for him came up or the relationship with the Palioi broke down he’d still be here.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Good shout. Hamilton did have success later at First Division and international level. I can't remember whether he was sacked, resigned or was poached by Wigan.
From memory, Hamilton was unfairly sacked by Osterman who wanted a bigger name manager. Mathias took over until the end of the season and guided us to sixth, was not offered the job permanently and went to Wigan. So I think BBTC is correct to say no Rovers manager has been poached in recent times.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think Mellon is desperate to leave to just anybody. It is more a case that managing St Mirren would be a dream job for him.

drwhoman

BBC says Stubbs will get the job. 3 others were interviewed but not MM it seems.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good good. Let’s move on and concentrate on the players.

Player
aldo
prob is has mm got a contract or not . it needs sorting . an soon very slow on the recruitment side nothing to get the fans going . at least this year the pre season is gonna be different its gonna be a hard one .

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With about a fortnight until the season starts, we stilll haven’t got a striker in to replace Cook and there are injury issues particularly affecting keeper and right-back. It means that even if we get additional players in now, they’re unlikely to be fully settled in time for the Stevenage opener. Hence downgraded my expectations from comfortable mid-table to relegation battle.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Boz, we will bring a forward in so no need to be down beat, we have a lot of creativity in the squad and I am hoping for more goals from midfield this season

Player
Manager
John King
Boz, we will bring a forward in so no need to be down beat, we have a lot of creativity in the squad and I am hoping for more goals from midfield this season
I agree completely with this. It is daft to talk about a relegation battle at this stage, particularly as we know at least one striker will arrive in the next couple of weeks.

The quality of the rest of the squad is much better than this time last year, with plenty of midfield creativity from Norburn, Jennings, Banks and others. With the exception of a handful of clubs like Lincoln, Notts County and Mansfield, most League Two clubs have hardly spent anything on recruitment this summer.

Player
aldo
See mr positive is back . They have there targets and they have a few close to being done thats what micky and mark have both said at the campus today . They know we need more up front . But christ the season hasn't even started yet . Cheer up man . Take some happy pills or something. Me im off the beach for a few weeks

Player
aldo
Also the training facilities at the solar campus are amazing .the way its been done is full credit to mark nicola and mm the players have got all the tools to be successful. Even got my pic with the trophy . Just got home had to watch it again . All in all a really good day

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I am expecting we will get a striker in, but even if they are half-decent, it is highly optimistic to expect they’ll click from the off. If it’s some wet behind the ears kid on loan from a Championship side, we will struggle. There don’t seem to be any indicators from the friendlies to date that the midfield will be more prolific either.

It concerns me that the cover we have at goalkeeper and right-back is inadequate, according to those reporting from the pre-season games on here. While the latter is unlikely to be a long-standing absence, Davies apparently will be unfit for a while.

Most of the sides in L2 will already have L2 level playing staff, whereas our squad was operating at a lower level last season. Hence inevitable that we will need to do more recruiting than those teams already in place.

Player
Manager
John King
I am expecting we will get a striker in, but even if they are half-decent, it is highly optimistic to expect they’ll click from the off. If it’s some wet behind the ears kid on loan from a Championship side, we will struggle. There don’t seem to be any indicators from the friendlies to date that the midfield will be more prolific either.

It concerns me that the cover we have at goalkeeper and right-back is inadequate, according to those reporting from the pre-season games on here. While the latter is unlikely to be a long-standing absence, Davies apparently will be unfit for a while.

Most of the sides in L2 will already have L2 level playing staff, whereas our squad was operating at a lower level last season. Hence inevitable that we will need to do more recruiting than those teams already in place.
We already have better players in a number of positions than the weakest League Two sides: Norwood, Jennings, Banks and Norburn would not look out of place in League One teams from the friendly games I have seen so far. We at least have one striker capable of getting 15-20 goals, whereas some clubs have none. We did not when we were last at League Two level. So to scaremonger about relegation is premature in my view.

We don't necessarily need a striker that will come in and score twenty goals, we just need someone to help Norwood with the workload up front. Mullin could be that player in time, and even he scored ten goals last season.

The friendly games we have played so far have mostly been against higher level opposition, but even in those matches Smith has had a real goal threat and Jennings will too if we use him correctly tactically.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I still have concerns about the wide areas. Are we confident both Tollit and Larnell Cole will stay injury free?

Much will depend on whether we go with 5-3-2 but Like Ronnie I prefer proper wingers in a traditional 4-4-2. Especially if we bring in a half decent target man who will need service.

Accept I’m normally a glass half empty person but do wonder about McNulty and Zoom who crewe released.

I don’t think we’ll go down but can’t seem much more than a mid table finish which on the face of it, despite what Palios says, would be a decent position the year after promotion.

Player
Manager
John King
I think we are ok in the wide areas, as both Zoum and Caprice are naturals as wing backs. I am slightly surprised we have not tried that system in the friendly games so far, but that might simply be due to getting all the players game time.

If we go 442, Smith is a natural winger and we then only need one of Tollitt or Cole to play on the other side.

If you think back to the beginning of last season, when we could not play with wing backs and used a 433 formation in the opening games which did not work, I think we now have more options tactically.

Player
aldo
Tollitt is having a whole pre season behind him witch will do him the world of good . Alsowas talking to him at the open day he was saying that he is doing more weights in the gym to get stronger . Witch was one of the things he needed to do more .he has set up a couple of goals
and doing loads of running . With smith and cole we look healthy in the wide area's not sure on mullin but he has to be given a fair crack at the whip . We can create loads of chances and mm has a good reputation for making forwards better . Look at Stockton . He also had vardy . And he got plenty out of noors and cook . So lets give him a chance we could well be suprised