• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League 2 aspirations

How will Tranmere fare in League 2 in 2018/19?

• Champions

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Automatic Promotion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Play-offs

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Mid-table

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Relegation fight

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A play off push is not impossible, but I don't think people should take it for granted. It will be a tough season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A play off push is not impossible, but I don't think people should take it for granted. It will be a tough season.
Agreed. Until we see what the final squad looks like, it’s difficult to gauge how well we might do. Some teams have been splashing the cash already. While I’d hope for more, a season of consolidation wouldn’t be a disaster for me.

Player
aldo
the expectations of mp and a top half budget. we should expect some quality in the new players we should bring in five or six good players are needed

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
My League 2 Aspirations, whether we win promotion or not are:

1. That we find some good home-grown players who are given a decent run in the first team.
2. That we get some significant increase in attendances, possibly through new young fans excited by the dramas at Wembley.
3. That at last we have a decent cup run (FA or EFL, not Associate Members), generating more media interest in the club and more importantly some useful income.

In fact, given the choice of promotion or those three, I might choose the latter as that would benefit the club more sustainably in the long term.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
While I’d hope for more, a season of consolidation wouldn’t be a disaster for me.
Same here. I think we need to find our feet first.

Going slightly OT, I was in Kent the other day and got talking to a fella who was pleased Tranmere won promotion and said we were back were we belonged. Put a smile on my face.

M

Mal

i will wait till i see what other players comes in. the squad is a bit thin as it stands

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There are still a number of additions to come, but so far I think we have done some good business

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
My only real concern is that if Norwood gets injured, we could be in real trouble. If he put away half of the chances he had last season he would have scored at least 35.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think whatever signings we make, the one most people will be looking out for is the Cookie replacement. Big shoes to fill there, that is not going to be easy.

Regarding Norwood, I wonder how many opportunities and one-on-ones he will get in division two? He’ll probably need to be more clinical if he’s looking for 20+ as I don’t think he get as much time and space as he did in the Vanarama.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
That might work in his and our favour to an extent, Ian. It's the one on ones where James has lots of thinking time which he mostly failed to convert, those where he acted instinctively tended to find the back of the net more.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Norwood is in my opinion more important than Cookie as he offers the team so much more than just goals. His performance at Wembley showed that. He will score goals in League 2, but I do think that he needs a foil up there with him,

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Norwood will score goals with or without Cook. In fact, he scored as many league goals in his first season (without a regular partner upfront) as last season (19). The difference is what Cook brought to the team. Without him we only managed 61 league goal, but the last two seasons it's been 79 and 78. So, we either need a direct replacement for him or for the likes of Jennings, Ginnelly, Cole and Tollitt to chip in with a few more. However, our success last season was based on 4-4-2 with wingers providing service to a target man. If we can't get a decent replacement for Cook, we will have to change the system.

Player
Manager
John King
Cook and Norwood worked brilliantly as a partnership though. They complemented each other perfectly. I can't see James scoring nineteen next season as a lone striker, which is how Brabin used him.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, I think it’s definately easier said than done with midfielders. I think if we were to rely on midfielders getting us goals we might be in for trouble.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, he is from Paisley. According to reports he has travelled up for talks. Let's hope he does not get it.

Player
Manager
John King
I just wonder if Micky thinks his work is done here now he has got us back in the league. Having won promotion at Fleetwood and Shrewsbury, the seasons that followed were not a success for him and maybe he thinks the same might happen here.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yep. Plus whilst I’m not the biggest fan of the SPL, it’s defintately a higher standard than league 2.

It’ll be interesting if they go for the big name choice instead

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Things are getting a bit worrying after the play-off win, with the loss of our best player, brightest prospect and now the manager who took us back to the FL in talks to leave.