• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Latics v Rovers

Match result

• Oldham

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Latics v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Boundary Park
Tuesday, December 1, 2020 - 07:00 PM
Until: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 - 09:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The irrestistible force meets the immovable object as Rovers take on in form Oldham, who have won six of their last seven matches, a run that included victories against Cheltenham and Exeter. They have two strikers in blistering form in Danny Rowe and Connor McAleney, and this will be an incredibly tough test for Rovers. I am not generally pessimistic, but with a few of our players looking jaded at the moment, it would not be a surprise if our winning run came to an end on Tuseday. This is the first of three very difficult away fixtures, and a point would probably be a good result in each of them.

I think we will start with an unchanged starting eleven and formation, with the exception of O'Connor coming back into the side if available. Woollery is pushing hard for a starting place, but realistically he is not going to displace Vaughan or CBT and he does not really fit into our midfield diamond, although he could perhaps replace Feeney on the right side.

Last edited:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
The irrestistible force meets the immovable object as Rovers take on in form Oldham, who have won six of their last seven matches, a run that included victories against Cheltenham and Exeter. They have two strikers in blistering form in Danny Rowe and Connor McAleney, and this will be an incredibly tough test for Rovers. I am not generally pessimistic, but with a few of our players looking jaded at the moment, it would not be a surprise if our winning run came to an end on Tuseday. This is the first of three very difficult away fixtures, and a point would probably be a good result in each of them.

I think we will start with an unchanged starting eleven and formation, with the exception of O'Connor coming back into the side if available. Woollery is pushing hard for a starting place, but realistically he is not going to displace Vaughan or CBT and he does not really fit into our midfield diamond, although he could perhaps replace Feeney on the right side.
We probably go into the match as second favourites and will give us a genuine guide as to how strong we are. A win will give us an air of invincibility. I'm sure Oldham will be viewing the game through very similar eyes.

Player
aldo
so we move on to Tuesday, Hill was there watching them on Saturday so hope he done his homework, hope the Lads had a couple of days off. so what do we think will it be the same team again or does Woolery get a game or is he better coming off the bench. it is going to be a hard game but I think we will nick it 1-0, one thing which is good is the defence has tightened uploads in the last few games

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Going to be a very tough game against a top strikeforce but these are the type of games we need to win if we are to get promoted this season, I'm going for a win 2 1.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Oldham have been better on the road than their turf, for reasons which are unclear. Like us, they started the season poorly and picked up, though without changing their manager. RLC picks out their key men, Danny Rowe, proving that he is capable of delivering in the FL and scouser McAleney, who's been around a bit, on fine form. Remember our last trip to Boundary Park saw the hosts put a stop to our good run then, hoping we can avoid a repeat.

In terms of line-up, I would be inclined to replace Feeney with Woolery, as Liam has seemed rather jaded of late and his scoring record isn't great throughout his career, whereas we saw what Kayne is capable of last Friday. If O'Connor has recovered, then he'd start, probably at the expense of Macdonald, since reckon Rides is the better defender on the left.

Think I'd take a point, but hard to call.

Player
Manager
John King
Personally, I think MacDonald deserves to start ahead of Ridehalgh. He has played very well recently and is better going forward, giving us the width we need on that side in the absence of a wide midfielder. I think with his superior composure on the ball he is better suited to the way we play now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Personally, I think MacDonald deserves to start ahead of Ridehalgh. He has played very well recently and is better going forward, giving us the width we need on that side in the absence of a wide midfielder. I think with his superior composure on the ball he is better suited to the way we play now.
I think it's a difficult call, personally would play Macdonald in the home games, when his greater attacking ability is valuable, but not convinced he's a better defender than Ridehalgh.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rides looked a bit rusty to me on Friday night so I’d be tempted to stick with McDonald although a close call. Agree feeney has looked rusty although he may not be enjoying playing centrally instead of on the right where he had so many assists last season (although he’s done well for us so far).

what will be interesting is how Oldham set up having seen brackley frustrate our diamond shape which resulted in Hill tweaking it a bit on Friday at half time. Our recent good defensive record will be tested against their front two who are in good form. I’d take a point

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I think this will be tricky game as Oldham are clearly on a good run at the moment and on Saturday in their FA Cup game away to Bradford, particularly in the first half, they looked really strong going forward and the goal threat posed by Rowe and McAleny was self evident. After our somewhat Jacksonesque performance against Brackley on Friday I would settle for a draw.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Both teams certainly on a great run of form. I think our quality will come through though and we'll win 2-0 with a classic Rovers performance and a little bit of luck thrown in too! Khan and Vaughan with the goals.

Player
ian goodison
was a bit worried before the Carlisle game as they came here on the back of a 3-0 win, but am hoping with a more settled team am confident of at least a point

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If we are to get promoted these are the games we need to win, it will be tough against one if the top strikeforces in the league but I think we will nick it 2 1.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If we are to get promoted these are the games we need to win, it will be tough against one if the top strike forces in the league but I think we will nick it 2 1.
I'm not sure we've got to the "must win" stage yet, but if we can avoid defeat the momentum will be maintained. Frankly, if we lose it won't be a disaster as long as we show the resilience to bounce back on Saturday. With these long winning runs, you worry that when they end the bubble will burst. Win. lose or draw tonight, I am confident we have the squad and the leadership to get promotion this season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, I suppose we’ll all be a bit deflated if we lose but let’s keep the momentum going for as long as we can.

Player
Manager
John King
While not exactly must win, I agree with Mart that Oldham will probably finish in mid table and we have to win a number of similar games to be promoted automatically. However, given their current form I would take a point.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Will be a tough one. Agree with posters not a must win but I feel we need to be up in the automatics asap and personally would hope to get there by the New Year given we have 7 more League games by then. Games like this are also especially important given we have a pretty much fully fit squad which knowing our luck with injuries in recent seasons we know will not last.....
Will be interesting if Hill makes any changes - we looked tired Friday with a number of players having their worst game since Jackson left.
Maybe Lloyd might start? Interesting to see if McDonald stays in ahead of Rides if O'Connor is fit to start.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I'm not sure we've got to the "must win" stage yet, but if we can avoid defeat the momentum will be maintained. Frankly, if we lose it won't be a disaster as long as we show the resilience to bounce back on Saturday. With these long winning runs, you worry that when they end the bubble will burst. Win. lose or draw tonight, I am confident we have the squad and the leadership to get promotion this season.
I said it's the type of game we need to win if we are to push for the top 3 which is the aim this season.

Shovelman123

Player
Liam ridehalgh
Will be a tough one. Agree with posters not a must win but I feel we need to be up in the automatics asap and personally would hope to get there by the New Year given we have 7 more League games by then. Games like this are also especially important given we have a pretty much fully fit squad which knowing our luck with injuries in recent seasons we know will not last.....
Will be interesting if Hill makes any changes - we looked tired Friday with a number of players having their worst game since Jackson left.
Maybe Lloyd might start? Interesting to see if McDonald stays in ahead of Rides if O'Connor is fit to start.
Dawes brings mc Donald from Blackpool with him on loan and you wonder who will start ? Got to keep Blackpool happy

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Dawes brings mc Donald from Blackpool with him on loan and you wonder who will start ? Got to keep Blackpool happy
Mind you he did keep Rides in his preferred position on Friday evening.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Whilst Hill has been very complimentary of Dawes I don't follow why you think Hill will ultimately care who brought who in when making selection decisions now he is in ultimate charge?