• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Lack of goals

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It sounds obvious but it’s a real concern. Out of 21 league games we’ve failed to score in 10 of them, so nearly half.

The squad is imbalanced. We have too many attacking creative midfielders and not enough front men. In forward midfield positions we have Lloyd, CBT, Lewis, Lloyd, Morris, Woolery, Feeney, Khan, Banks. But only 3 experienced front men and 2 of them are Payne and Ferrier.

hopefully Keith can wheel and deal and maybe offload one of the above and bring in another goal threat

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't really agree with Sparky' s analysis above. We have a 25-30 goal striker in Vaughan, and players across the midfield and the wide areas that are capable of creating and scoring goals. Payne and Ferrier are both capable of getting double figures at this level if used effectively.

It is not the lack of quality players that is the cause of the lack of goals; it is Hill's negative approach. The period under Dawes showed that we are capable of playing open, attacking football and scoring regularly, but the squad is being mismanaged at present.

If Hill is given fee rein to make too many changes in this window, I am concerned that he will replace good attacking players with dross and the quality of the squad will actually be diminished. He needs to get more out of the players he already has.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree RLC that we do on paper have a very talented squad and more needs to be done with them.
i know we don’t have the luxury of having two strikers who can get 20 a season but still think we need another option up there. An old fashioned target man wouldn’t go amiss to play to feeneys strengths with his delivery from wide area.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I tend towards RLCs view here. Yesterday, we put out what looked like a fairly attacking line-up on paper, but didn't seem to do that much attacking in the end. Aside from the ultra-cautious approach after Barrow had gone a man down, it isn't so much the teams that KH sends out as the way they play that is the concern, largely gone is the free-flowing football under Dawes/Parky, but the 4th goal v Leicester kids showed that spark isn't totally lost.

Unless we sell anyone, which seems unlikely, or mutually terminate contracts, think player movement will be limited to getting a couple more loans in.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree RLC that we do on paper have a very talented squad and more needs to be done with them.
i know we don’t have the luxury of having two strikers who can get 20 a season but still think we need another option up there. An old fashioned target man wouldn’t go amiss to play to feeneys strengths with his delivery from wide area.
Yes, a genuine target man would be useful and would give us a different option.