• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

KH sacked

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
I would not say the style of football was boring when Mellon was here previously, even in periods when we were struggling. If anything I would say the reverse was true: he was always attack minded even in games when the opposition were greatly superior, such as the Spurs and United cup ties.

Dundee United had just been promoted from the Championship to the SPL and were competing with clubs with far greater resources, so it would be no surprise if they had to set up relatively cautiously.
Everyone has an opinion and I found a lot of games , especially away, boring. We don’t all view things the same way. So if you wish to use ‘cautious’ , I prefer ‘less cautious’

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Everyone has an opinion and I found a lot of games , especially away, boring. We don’t all view things the same way. So if you wish to use ‘cautious’ , I prefer ‘less cautious’
The consensus among supporters that watched us regularly under Mellon seems to be that we were not boring, an opinion which was expressed most forcibly above by posters other than me.......

I don't think we were cautious either for what it is worth.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Hill seems to be on a downward trajectory and has not succeeded anywhere aside from Rochdale nearly a decade ago now. He has had three sackings in the last two years. In reality, I don't think they will offer him the job.
I’m not sure that’s necessarily true, but he will have to choose his next gig very carefully. He’s not a quick fix Fat Sam type of manager. He has his ways and probably needs his own coaching team and time to build his own squad. He never got that at Bolton or Tranmere. I am not making excuses for him. He made mistakes last season. But don’t write him off yet.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
In all honesty, I am not particularly concerned about his future performance. He is history now.

I more interested in our upcoming appointment.

Alun

Player
Eddie Dagger Roberts
Donald Trump LETS MAKE TRANMERE GREAT AGAIN and will build a wall around Liverpool LOL:D:D:D
Seventy million supporters at every home game, just think of the atmosphere, mind you AM, the way things are going we may have to do without Trump, for a few years, while he serves his time, but he would be allowed one phone call a week, so he could ring up the ground with his team selection and speech to inspire the team and supporters. Sign Trump up and Make Tranmere Great Again. Why stop at Trump, how about signing up Boris Johnson as Trumps assistant manager, With Johnson, marrying Carrie, I am sure she would jump at the chance of clothe shopping in Grange road and Birkenhead Market. The fans could chant make Tranmere great again and get promotion done and the opposing supporters could chant lock them up. lock them up.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Stephen Robinson gets the Morecambe job so nothing for Keith there who has thrown his hat in the ring for the Wrexham job

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think, for the reasons alluded to at the time of his departure, that it might be better if Keith didn't have an immediate return to football management.

Morecambe have moved quickly to replace Adams. Robinson has had relative success north of the border, so on the face of it a reasonable appointment though it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not directly linked to Hill but when you talk about the managerial Merry go round I see that Harry kewell has taken over at Barnet. His 4th job in English football having been at Notts county. Oldham and Crawley. I know he’s a relatively big name but how he keeps getting jobs I don’t know as I don’t think he’s done anything at other clubs

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I didn't think Kewell did that badly at Oldham, given their basket-case owners and they played decent football against us.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I remember feeling quite positive at the time! :oops:

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I am depressed enough, thanks very fish!

If it wasn't the beginning of our downfall, it was a very direct bearing on the future.
That is why the likes of Robbie Fowler is someone who we should not go near him even with a barge pole.
Premiership players are only interested in their own egos.
And how to get in the headlines.

The only exception was Aldo, and he got Rovers.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, the club was in a right mess. Then we appointed our physio as manager. Les was a great character but what the hell were we doing? What a crazy game football is at times.

I wasn't particularly enamoured by Aldo as manager either as much as a liked him as a player.

Player
Manager
John King
Yeah, the club was in a right mess. Then we appointed our physio as manager. Les was a great character but what the hell were we doing? What a crazy game football is at times.

I wasn't particularly enamoured by Aldo as manager either as much as a liked him as a player.
Yes, we were in a right state. You can directly trace our descent to non league football to events in that summer.