• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

KH sacked

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Challinor WAS a candidate, wonder is he out of the picture now? Mystery candidate, hard to form an opinion until we learn more.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Challinor WAS a candidate, wonder is he out of the picture now? Mystery candidate, hard to form an opinion until we learn more.
The plan is to have manager in place this week.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Dean Keates sacked by Wrexham. Their supporters seem to think they are appointing Mellon, Nigel Clough or John Coleman.

Let us hope the first suggestion is as ludicrous as the other two are.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Did we have the same earlier this season?

The fans wanted Adkins, the Cowley brothers or a big name manager, none of them were appointed. We got what we deserved.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Supposing Micky wasn't able to get a job at a higher level than L2 but Wrexham were paying the same or a bit more than Rovers. Their American owners don't know much about football, so most if not all of the footballing decisions would be left down to him. Given the suggestions of an uneasy relationship with Mark Palios, it is not beyond possibility that he would take it on.

Clough and Coleman are in post and the former at a well-financed club near his geographical base, so can't see him going.

Player
Manager
John King
Supposing Micky wasn't able to get a job at a higher level than L2 but Wrexham were paying the same or a bit more than Rovers. Their American owners don't know much about football, so most if not all of the footballing decisions would be left down to him. Given the suggestions of an uneasy relationship with Mark Palios, it is not beyond possibility that he would take it on.

Clough and Coleman are in post and the former at a well-financed club near his geographical base, so can't see him going.
If Micky's ambition is to manage in the Championship or higher, it is difficult to see how dropping back down to the National League, a division it can take even a good manager several seasons to escape from, would help his progress. It would seem more of a backwards step than taking the Tranmere job.

It is worth remembering that the new Wrexham owners have invested £2 million in the club, much of which is apparently going to be spent on ground improvements, as compared to the £3 million which has already been provided by the Indonesians at Rovers.

The relationship with the owners can work both ways. Yes, he would have greater autonomy at Wrexham, but would he want to work with owners that are inexperienced and potentially clueless ? There was a creative tension in his relationship with Palios.

Last edited:
Mellon's a professional, not a mercenary. He won't go back to non league at this stage of his career.

If Wrexham's new owners know what they're doing then the best 'name' they'll be able to get is someone like an Askey or a Gannon. If they don't know what they're doing then who knows!

It'll be interesting to see who they do get, but I don't see us and them fishing in the same pond.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't like the idea of Micky going to Wrexham, suppose anything's possible, but am reassured by both of your comments that it's unlikely.

Must admit I did give myself a fright at the thought that MM might be a target for FGR! Thankfully that didn't happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Bradford was sounding him out, if indeed he (rather than Adams) isn't the mystery man they'd already targeted weeks ago.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Must admit I did give myself a fright at the thought that MM might be a target for FGR! Thankfully that didn't happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Bradford was sounding him out, if indeed he (rather than Adams) isn't the mystery man they'd already targeted weeks ago.
Yes Bradford is a good shout assuming they have the finances as a fairly big club at L2 level. As are we of course but Micky may feel like some of the SWA do that he shouldn’t go back

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Micky was still Dundee Utd manager when the speculation about Adams to Bradford started. There's nothing to stop him being appointed right now to Bradford, the fact it hasn't happened suggests it's unlikely he'll end up there.

Micky was still Dundee Utd manager when the speculation about Adams to Bradford started. There's nothing to stop him being appointed right now to Bradford, the fact it hasn't happened suggests it's unlikely he'll end up there.
That's true, although there'd been speculation for a couple of months about MM's future before he finally left Dundee United. He was linked with the Doncaster job, possibly others too.

Player
Manager
John King
I wonder if Keith Hill is in contention for the Wrexham job ? An ex player of theirs and on the face of it his CV is still reasonable.

It would be amusing if he rolled up at the Racecourse.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, he can't be completely clueless as he did reasonable well at Rochdale. He will fit at some clubs and not others. Maybe he would do well at Wrexham..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Keith Hill might be good for Wrexham. If he can start soon, bring in his own coaching team and build his own squad from scratch, he would have a great chance. He’d have some money for good players and no transfer windows to worry about. Existing staff would have to help him get up to speed with the non-league scene.

It’s embarrassing to see a historic club like Wrexham languishing in the NL. Most relegated league clubs either bounce back within five years or sink into oblivion. They have been there for 15 years without moving. I hope and think they will be back soon.

Player
Manager
John King
Hill seems to be on a downward trajectory and has not succeeded anywhere aside from Rochdale nearly a decade ago now. He has had three sackings in the last two years. In reality, I don't think they will offer him the job.

I am happy for Wrexham to stay just where they are, at least until we reach the Championship.

Last edited: