• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

KH sacked

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is the job of a manager to show leadership and act professionally when he is representing a club in public, not to get involved in slanging matches with supporters, regardless of whether he thinks his behaviour is justified. We have had a number of managers - successful and unsuccessful - who have managed to do this perfectly well.

I don't think Hill was ever interested in building a positive relationship with supporters, and his behaviour seems to have followed a similar pattern at his previous clubs.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Robbie Fowler heavily linked with Swindon Town who will be in League Two next season, probably not a popular choice with Rovers fans but he has some managerial experience (Australia and Indian) and i could imagine the likes of Clark, Spearing and Vaughan. Fowler would be someone who would gain instant respect.

Normally I would say no to Fowler but he has earned his managerial stripes albeit across the other side of the world. He still has a house on the Wirral apparently and is keen to get into the English game. Will be interesting as can imagine Swindon he could be happy with but then we sacked Keith. Surely a local league two club with a better chance of success next season would be preferable. It’s whether Palios would want someone more experienced around that level

Player
Manager
John King
Anthony Barry could be an option. We were interested in him last summer and he is currently doing very well in the youth set up at Chelsea.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Anthony Barry could be an option. We were interested in him last summer and he is currently doing very well in the youth set up at Chelsea.
He would be a good choice but didn't he turn down Fleetwood this season, I doubt he would come to us.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Is Fleetwood really a better bet than Tranmere? OK, they are in a higher league - at the moment, but our ownership and set up would appeal to many aspiring young managers.

drwhoman

Fowler was not a huge success here in Australia and an unkind person would suggest it was a long holiday. I agree with BBTC earlier that we have to leave it to Mark. As regards a second voice, I am sure that he takes advice from those he values. Those people can only offer opinions, as they are not the owners. As regards KH, it was always going to be hard for him when things got difficult. He was an outsider to the coaching team and the dressing room as well, that is sprinkled with old pros who will always have a view on things. It is one reason Managers tend to have their own coaching teams. Keith was an exception suggesting he needed the job.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Fowler was not a huge success here in Australia and an unkind person would suggest it was a long holiday. I agree with BBTC earlier that we have to leave it to Mark. As regards a second voice, I am sure that he takes advice from those he values. Those people can only offer opinions, as they are not the owners. As regards KH, it was always going to be hard for him when things got difficult. He was an outsider to the coaching team and the dressing room as well, that is sprinkled with old pros who will always have a view on things. It is one reason Managers tend to have their own coaching teams. Keith was an exception suggesting he needed the job.
That’s an interesting take on Fowler, drwhoman, and I’m sure there is a lot of truth in your take on KH’s tenure at PP. I don’t think Keith had as much going for him as many of us thought.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Is Fleetwood really a better bet than Tranmere? OK, they are in a higher league - at the moment, but our ownership and set up would appeal to many aspiring young managers.
They have been well backed for several years so would likely have better calibre of manager

Player
Manager
John King
If Hill had favoured attacking 'rock and roll football' as he claimed, his relationship with Dawes and the senior players might have been better.....

Ultimately, he should not have taken the job if he did not think he was equipped to do it.

Player
aldo
let us hope Daws & Parky put smiles back on the player's faces and they have some fun. and I think they will do just that I think the boys will respond to having the shackles unleashed

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha, yes it doesn’t look particularly great from an outsider looking in. How many managers have we had in the last five years?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think Mark's record in appointing managers gives rise to some concern and while accepting that as owner, he would have the final say, getting some additional help in the short-listing and interview process is not a bad idea. We all have our views on those he's given the job too, for me the only mistake from the off was appointing Mike Jackson without interviewing anybody else. I don't know if Barry applied in the summer, despite his name doing the rounds

Addressing another point, Fleetwood are a better option as they've been at L1 level for a few years now, whether they can get up to Championship level is debatable, but the pressure is mainly going to come from their Chairman as the fan base is fairly small. Some managers would enjoy that kind of position, others would enjoy the greater challenge of taking Rovers up the pyramid. I don't think Fleetwood's turnover of bosses is that bad.

drwhoman

I think Mark's record in appointing managers gives rise to some concern and while accepting that as owner, he would have the final say, getting some additional help in the short-listing and interview process is not a bad idea. We all have our views on those he's given the job too, for me the only mistake from the off was appointing Mike Jackson without interviewing anybody else. I don't know if Barry applied in the summer, despite his name doing the rounds

Addressing another point, Fleetwood are a better option as they've been at L1 level for a few years now, whether they can get up to Championship level is debatable, but the pressure is mainly going to come from their Chairman as the fan base is fairly small. Some managers would enjoy that kind of position, others would enjoy the greater challenge of taking Rovers up the pyramid. I don't think Fleetwood's turnover of bosses is that bad.
Good point about the Fleetwood fan base. I remember going there when they were in the Lancashire Combination! (LOL!).

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
It would have been interesting to see how things would have panned out for Keith had it been a normal season.

Anyway, at least we can move away from 'rack and ruin' football ;0)

I just hope we finally install a manager who can get the team promoted automatically playing attractive football, with goal-burden shared throughout the team, rather than scraping through playoffs using a lone striker.

If Dawes oversees promotion, I wonder if it would be an idea to give him the role but bring in an experienced manager as a consultant to assist through the inevitable blips that happen in a season?

Is it likely a new first team goalkeeper will be brought in given that Scottie could take some time to get back Ito full fitness?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Fair play to Keith, that’s a mature, considered and professional statement. Some platitudes like “I enjoyed every minute ... “ need to be taken with a pinch of salt. However, there are some heart felt thank yous including name checks for two campus staff. It confirms my view that Keith is a nice bloke who was perhaps a little too nice and not tough enough to manage our club. I get the impression he’s relieved to be out of it with a decent payoff.

Player
Manager
John King
It is a reasonable statement.

However, I did not find Hill a likeable person and I thought his behaviour in the final weeks of his time in charge - constant jibes at supporters and ultimately throwing both players and owner under a bus - was appalling and hardly that of a 'nice guy'.

Each to their own I guess.