• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

KH sacked

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Dream Team.............

Joey Barton
Clint Hill
Kenny Irons.

Or
Dave Challinor

Or
John McGreal

Or at 1000-1
Shaun Garnett

Favourite is Ian Dawes, Andy Parkinson.

Or
If the candidates are not good enough, the chairman might take up being a coach.

LOL.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’d prefer to leave this until after the season has ended, but here we go.

It will depend on what Dawes wants. Assuming he does want the job, one option might be to give him the help of a mentor. I remember that Mark offered Rob Edwards the option of working with Dave Jones, which he refused. An experienced manager who doesn’t want the stress of a full time role might be an option.

A problem Mark faces is that some applicants may want to bring in their own staff. For many obvious reasons, Mark will want to hang onto Dawes and Parky.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with BBTC. Can’t think about it until after the play offs. My money would be on challinor

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
Monsieur Keith Hill (Bolton) - will you be changing your handle to Dawes (notlob)or to the name of whoever is appointed (along with the name of their last club?)

just curious, as you don't use social media, apparently :cool:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I still fully trust Mark's judgement when it comes to the appointment and will try to avoid the speculation. Despite varying levels of success, all of his previous appointments have been logical and well thought through. We have gone through young, aspiring coach to experience at the level to continuity appointments. None of his appointments have been out of synch with the club's footballing challenges at the time they were made. He has been willing to support his appointment when warranted and been decisive when he can't see things working out. I don't think that we can ask for any more and just hope that the next appointment is a success, whilst appreciating that nothing is guaranteed. Hopefully a return to some sort of normality next season will afford the development of a "normal" relationship between the fans and new manager.

Alun

Player
Eddie Dagger Roberts
Dream Team.............

Joey Barton
Clint Hill
Kenny Irons.

Or
Dave Challinor

Or
John McGreal

Or at 1000-1
Shaun Garnett

Favourite is Ian Dawes, Andy Parkinson.

Or
If the candidates are not good enough, the chairman might take up being a coach.

LOL.
Not Joey Barton, another Hill, he blamed the players, and everyone else for Bristol Rovers relegation, nothing to do with him he claimed, he will have a relegation on his CV and it was not his fault, it was the players, some of them should not be playing professional football, he does not talk to losers, he only talks to winners, that is what ne said/. I thought his press conference after relegation was was much worse than Hills.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Hill protected the players right up until the sacking. He must have known he was being dismissed when interviewed. He never once besmirched the players during his time in charge (pre-final interview), even being diplomatic as to why Ferrier and CBT were not being selected. Every interview had him talking about the positives of the way the team played even though it was obvious they hadn't played as well as in past games.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
To be honest, I thought Hill's interviews were appalling even prior to Saturday. They were too long, too rambling and despite the 'positives' that he regularly cited, never gave any real indication that he understood our current problems or how to address them. His regular swipes at the supporters also did very little for harmony at the club.

Whatever he was saying publicly, there had also clearly been clashes in the dressing room, both with playing staff and, apparently, the other members of the coaching team. That was one of the key reasons for his dismissal.

Player
Manager
John King
Not Joey Barton, another Hill, he blamed the players, and everyone else for Bristol Rovers relegation, nothing to do with him he claimed, he will have a relegation on his CV and it was not his fault, it was the players, some of them should not be playing professional football, he does not talk to losers, he only talks to winners, that is what ne said/. I thought his press conference after relegation was was much worse than Hills.
I don't think Palios would touch Barton with a bargepole.

Player
Manager
John King
For all the criticism he received, it is interesting to compare Mike Jackson's departure with Hill's. He was modest and dignified throughout and never tried to apportion blame to anybody else, even when it became obvious he would not survive in the job.

By contrast, I thought Hill's behaviour on Saturday was a disgrace.

Player
Ian Goodison
Robbie Fowler heavily linked with Swindon Town who will be in League Two next season, probably not a popular choice with Rovers fans but he has some managerial experience (Australia and Indian) and i could imagine the likes of Clark, Spearing and Vaughan. Fowler would be someone who would gain instant respect.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I still fully trust Mark's judgement when it comes to the appointment and will try to avoid the speculation. Despite varying levels of success, all of his previous appointments have been logical and well thought through. We have gone through young, aspiring coach to experience at the level to continuity appointments. None of his appointments have been out of synch with the club's footballing challenges at the time they were made. He has been willing to support his appointment when warranted and been decisive when he can't see things working out. I don't think that we can ask for any more and just hope that the next appointment is a success, whilst appreciating that nothing is guaranteed. Hopefully a return to some sort of normality next season will afford the development of a "normal" relationship between the fans and new manager.
Great post, ONIGP. Choosing the manager must be the most difficult task for an owner. You just cannot guarantee success. Mark owns the club, has looked after it well and always puts its interests first. He may not get it right every time, but it’s not for lack of trying. He knows who’s available, who’s affordable and who he can work with. He also knows a lot more about the business of football than we do. So let’s leave him to it.

Player
Manager
John King
It is difficult to recruit managers at this level, but Mark's success rate has not been great, and I am sure he is reassessing his approach after recent failures.

I stand by comments I made previously that he could probably do with additional assistance, or at least a second opinion, when making managerial decisions.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree. I think his appointments bar Micky Mellon have been pretty poor. I don't actually have much faith that he will appoint successfully without help.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hill protected the players right up until the sacking. He must have known he was being dismissed when interviewed. He never once besmirched the players during his time in charge (pre-final interview), even being diplomatic as to why Ferrier and CBT were not being selected. Every interview had him talking about the positives of the way the team played even though it was obvious they hadn't played as well as in past games.
His interviews got more and more bizzare the longer he was in the job ending with an absolute appallingly interview on Saturday which basically was asking to be sacked.
In previous interviews he said he didn't go on social media yet criticised the fans about comments on social media and called fans fickle.
For an experienced manager he failed miserably to deal with the loss of Vaughan partly through the woefull January recruitment and partly due to persisting with such negative tactics.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The mention of getting three 0-0 and going up through pens was enough for me. I'm sure his intention was to wind up as many people as possible in that interview. I think he knew his time was up.

Player
I'm happy Keith is being replaced. The players were obviously not playing for him. However, I just think that some fans on SM can't take what they dish out. which I find hypercritical. Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing how the team reacts with Dawes and Parky and hope that Keith just retires for a while to get a sense of perspective and to properly de-stress. Such a shame he came on board when no fans present because building a relationship is very difficult in a digital form...