• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

KH sacked

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Neither of the above thanks. I must admit, I never found Keith modest and I would not say he was more likeable than Barnes.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
Do you remember when Barnes was leaving the club after being sacked and McAteer was phoned so that he could tell Barnes how to fit his bike into the back of the car? Sky was filming him via a helicopter and someone decided to phone Jason to explain to Barnes what he was doing wrong.

A similar problem to his management style at Tranmere!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Do you remember when Barnes was leaving the club after being sacked and McAteer was phoned so that he could tell Barnes how to fit his bike into the back of the car? Sky was filming him via a helicopter and someone decided to phone Jason to explain to Barnes what he was doing wrong.
Absolutely farcical. Just think how many managers we've had since then. Some stability would be nice.

Player
aldo
sure would MP Needs to get the next 1 right apart from Mellon and in some ways Brabin who laid the foundations they have been shocking,

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don’t think Dawes wants the job long term and Parky happy doing the U21 coaching.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Bradford gave there temp managers the job and it didn't work out, whatever league we are in there will be plenty of options, the hard part will.be picking the right one

Player
Manager
John King
I was not really suggesting that Dawes should or should not be considered, just that he never ruled himself out.

Although if he did get us promoted, I think he would be a more interesting and attractive proposition than many of the usual suspects that we are linked with.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don’t think Dawes wants the job long term
He seemed quite keen first time round when he was getting asked after win after win but deep down I think he knew Palios was looking for that more 'experienced' option. I hope he does well again as I think they should have kept him on while the team were winning and the going was good.

Player
aldo
Palios keeps saying he wants entertainment and the fans to be excited we had all that first time around with the two lads if we get the same and they want then surely they must get a chance, also with MPs track record of managers he might just give them a go who knows

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
The problem is we haven't seen Dawes react to a defeat. Port Vale could have been one except for them going down to ten men...

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think victory was guaranteed at Port Vale despite them being reduced to ten men. We failed to beat ten men often enough under Hill.

All appointments carry an element of risk, but a number of the allegedly experienced managers we have recruited have failed miserably. There is plenty of time to ponder the options after the play offs.

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
Cambridge Utd have had a very successful season under Mark Bonner who I think was on the backroom staff down there for a while, and was completely unknown outside that club.

On the other hand, the Cowleys contrived to let Pompey slip out of the play-offs (surely the very minimum requirement for a club of their size) while Nigel Adkins couldn't get into them with Charlton either.

I'd be happier with someone who gets the culture of the club and the fans, and is hungry, than one of the usual suspects whose names are bound to get bandied about after the play-offs

Player
Manager
John King
Cambridge Utd have had a very successful season under Mark Bonner who I think was on the backroom staff down there for a while, and was completely unknown outside that club.

On the other hand, the Cowleys contrived to let Pompey slip out of the play-offs (surely the very minimum requirement for a club of their size) while Nigel Adkins couldn't get into them with Charlton either.

I'd be happier with someone who gets the culture of the club and the fans, and is hungry, than one of the usual suspects whose names are bound to get bandied about after the play-offs
The only names that really excite me at the moment are Challinor, or possibly Dawes, depending on how the next couple of weeks go. There are probably talented young coaches working behind the scenes at a number of clubs higher up the ladder, but it is debatable whether Palios has knowledge of them. For example, Neil Critchley left Liverpool's academy staff to join Blackpool and has done a fantastic job.

If we appoint McGreal, Alexander, Wellens or one of the other usual suspects, we will basically be getting Keith Hill with a different trainer size.