• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Kayode Odejayi..

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
.. Signs on a 1 year deal.

A decent signing at this level. Seen him a few times over the years and always seemed a handful for defenders. 32 so not too old yet.

Doesn't score many goals - 8 last season - but may benefit from the likes of koumas with his delivery and prove a good foil for someone alongside him.

Big and strong. Let's hope he isn't another Akpo Sodge!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Would think he will start up front with Richards lets hope he can do a decent job though I don't expect many goals from him double figures would be a bonus

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
Im excited by Odejayi, hopefully strong and powerful and at least experienced, As bigmart says if he gets over 10 goals ill be happy but id rather 4 players with 10 goals than 1 with 20!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I can't help feeling a little underwhelmed by this, he's the kind of player Ronnie might have signed in the Savage/Showumni mould. Odejayi's not a bad player, but past his prime. In his younger days he had some good games against us, one for Cheltenham in particular.

Andrew says he'd rather 4 players with 10 goals than 1 with 20. Richards if last season's form continues might hit double figures, maybe this lad if we're lucky, but who after that? We aren't going to get many from the current midfield either. Optimistically assuming we didn't sell Lowe for peanuts, this means there's still funds available to invest in a towering central defender, so that we only need to score 1 to win:rolleyes:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
According to Sky Sports News website we are going to sign Marcus Holness 25 year old defender who was at Burton Albion.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Boz - I know what you mean about Odejayi but hopefully Edwards will play a more attractive type of football than Ronnie. That said, its results that matter and if we got promoted playing long balls up to Kayode all day long then so be it.

I worry a bit about a lack of goals but still time to bring more players in. If Koumas stays fit then he could easily hit double figures as could Joe Thompson if he is fit and available.

Holness has signed on a 2 year deal. Burton offered him a new deal apparently although he only played 22 games last season - probably due to competition from the likes of Ian Sharps and Shane Sherrif.

A good age and some experience. Nice to see the squad starting to come together.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I can't help feeling a little underwhelmed by this, he's the kind of player Ronnie might have signed in the Savage/Showumni mould. Odejayi's not a bad player, but past his prime. In his younger days he had some good games against us, one for Cheltenham in particular.

I have the same feelings really. While he is a handful, Odejayi is not in the same class as some of the other strikers who have changed clubs in League Two in recent weeks - Lowe, Collins, Vernon, Tubbs, even Akinfenwa - which suggests we are very much in the market for B grade players, even in League Two. I also struggle to see how Odejayi will fit into a team which is apparently going to play an attractive brand of passing football next season. However, he will at least be able to pass on some of his experience to Stockton and Richards.

Holness looks a decent signing.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Another name to add to RLCs list above; Billy Paynter who's just joined Carlisle. Better scoring record than Odejayi, couple of years younger. It sounds from Rob's reported comments that we've now completed our recruiting of forwards. Perhaps Baggie, who could win us a number of free-kicks in the danger zone or Kirby, who fancies himself as a striker will be deployed up front.

On the positives, Holness is a player Burton wanted to keep, is quite fast for a central defender and will give 100%. Another central defender either as signing or long-term loan is on the agenda.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
On the plus side, we do now have a number of players in the 18-25 age bracket who may develop and improve - Power, Kirby, Stockton, Richards, all four defenders, Baggie, Thompson - which has not really been the case for some time. The squad does have a nice blend of youth and experience about it, although as it stands I still doubt it will be good enough to win promotion. However, the whole may prove to be greater than the sum of the parts.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think you need someone with Odejayi's build in this division. Let's not kid ourselves, it won't be like watching Brazil with all this passing football we've been promised. There are times when we're going to need to be physical.

White_Magic

Player
Ian Moore
I thing Max has a great opportunity next season to demonstrate his potential and I think he will be one of our better players next year. I fancy Cole to improve quickly and score a few (10-15) but then I am concerned looking at the other areas in the squad where we will rely on youth. I would be more comfortable seeing a proven goal scorer come into the mix for next season and also someone solid and proven at the back. Also, I hope we can keep Fonners as that will be the difference between top 10 and mediocrity.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Should be interesting next season to see if Stockton is given a chance. I think he could do well at this level and might do his confidence a world of good. If he doesn't feature much I think his time at PP is over.