• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

JPT Port Vale v Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With our promising start in the League, this game may matter even less than usual. Realistically, it only begins to get interesting if we reach the Northern final, with a Wembley visit at stake. It was more fun when Conference sides were involved. With us already playing a pre-season friendly @Vale Park, reckon only the die-hards will be going to this one.

Ronnie has indicated that he'll make the maximum 5 changes allowed from Saturday's line-up and in particular will be resting some in midfield. Would expect a starting xi something like;

OFW
Kay Golobart Gibson Bakayogo
Bell-Baggie Power Harrison McGurk
Cassidy* Stockton

*if he's allowed, given the Wales match, otherwise JLAA.

Our opponents have had a decent start too, currently nestling in the last L2 play-off slot. Former Rovers Shuker and Myrie-Williams are now at Vale and may feature.

Prediction: We're capable of winning this, but suspect the home side may want it more.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I pretty much agree with the starting line up predicted above.

It will be interesting to see how Power and Harrison do in midfield, but with Rovers set to field a virtual reserve line up it is hard to get too excited about this match. At least Ronnie's decision to rest 5 suggests he believes we are genuine promotion candidates this season.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
This competition is a joke

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Does the rule that 5 changes from the previous league match line-up be included in the JPT team include those named on the bench for the league game? IE. A) 5 from 18 named on team sheet or B) 5 from the starting 11 line-up or even C) 5 from starters plus 3 playing substitutes ie 5 from 14?
If A) or C) I'd be inclined to go with Mooney, Kay, McChrystal, Golobart, Bakayogo, Harrison, Palmer, Kirby, McGurk, Stockton, Cassidy.
If B) Mooney, Kay, Gibson, Golobart, Bakayogo, Harrison, Palmer, Kirby, Bell-Baggie, JLAA and Cassidy

At the end of the day the selection, whilst abiding by the competition rules, should err on the side of caution so as to minimise the risk of injuries to key first team players. The League MUST remain the priority.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Frenchrover, I think it's B. Agree that the League is a priority. Unsure why you haven't included Max Power in any of your line-ups, but from Ronnie's remarks, him and Danny Harrison seem likely starters.

I was never anywhere near good enough to be a professional footballer, but I suspect that those who have made it a career in the lower leagues would welcome the chance to play at Wembley and be rightly proud of the fact. The likes of Dave Higgins, who turned out for Rovers in Leyland DAF finals, the precursor of the JPT. I disagree with SonkORLY? and amplesou's viewpoint.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think our excellent early season league form has put a big dent I this years JPT. I'm just not interested.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I was never anywhere near good enough to be a professional footballer, but I suspect that those who have made it a career in the lower leagues would welcome the chance to play at Wembley and be rightly proud of the fact. The likes of Dave Higgins, who turned out for Rovers in Leyland DAF finals, the precursor of the JPT. I disagree with SonkORLY? and amplesou's viewpoint.

Were this resoundingly the case, we wouldn't be resting 5 players. 4% chance of getting to Wembley. Attendances are low, managers are inconvenienced, players are rested, basically none of it is televised. Nobody is really interested. Waste of time.

Expecting a squad of our size to remain competitive across 3 separate cup competitions in addition to a 46 game league season is completely ridiculous.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
So, if despite all that, by some fluke we reached the final, you wouldn't bother going?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I wouldn't buy a scratchcard, but if someone bought one for me and I won a holiday, I would gladly go on it

drwhoman

PORT VALE

I hope you would take the purchaser with you SonkORLY! No one will lose sleep with this competition but as several contributors have said - if you get to Wembley.....!!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
When we got to Wembley in 1990 and 1991 hardly any lower division clubs had ever played there, and as a result most clubs took this competition pretty seriously. However, with the play off finals having been contested there for 25 years there are now very few league clubs that haven't played at Wembley. As a result the competition looks far less attractive to fans, players and managers.

It is now a bit much to expect club's to field strong sides in this cup given the meagre resources and threadbare squads at our level. However, given that we have some great history in the competition, I would still be sad to see it go, as I'm sure would anybody else who was at those Wembley games.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
RLC makes a telling point about the greater opportunities of reaching Wembley now, than when this type of tournament was launched. However, because of it's significance in our recent history, I'd also be sad to see go.

I think RM attitude is right; we'd like to win it, but also a chance to give the likes of Harrison and Power an outing to see what they can do.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Well, I'll be going tonight as it's reasonably local for me and I've not been to a game yet this season. Hope it doesn't go to ET and penalties though.

As it looks like I'm the only one going I'll make lots of notes and report back :wink:

SUPER WHITE ARMY!

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
if it is level after 90minutes it will go straight to penalties there is no extra time.hopefully Tranmere can win in 90 minutes.it will give a chance for some of the fringe players to stake a claim.=D>

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Slightly surprising starting line-up. Only 4 changes and Cole Stockton doesn't start.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Slightly surprising starting line-up. Only 4 changes and Cole Stockton doesn't start.

Can only have 5 changes max anyway...would have thought jake would have been rested

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
thank god we,re out....

well done RM there only one RM

Next year could the football league start a new cup comp..sponsored by disney...

Status
Not open for further replies.