• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Jordan Hugill

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A striker who has arrived on a one month loan from Preston. Seems to be highly rated by their fans and has a decent goalscoring record, but has missed most of this season through injury.

Ideally, I think we should just be bedding in our own players now. However, with Stockton out injured and Hume unfit this is probably a necessary move. Apparently another defender is coming in before Saturday, probably sensible as Thompson is out for the weekend and Ihiekwe has only just resumed training.

The arrival of Hugill does bring the wisdom of the Hume signing into question. He has not played any real competitive football for twelve months, and it remains to be seen what contribution he will make this season. It has been suggested elsewhere that bringing him back was a gesture to the fans as much as anything.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hugill is unfit too, having hardly played this season through injury. With Stockton out until April, if anything happens to Odejayi, we would be left with no muscle up front, so a worthwhile addition as cover. However, I hope this doesn't mean Donnelly is shunted out wide, as the best with an eye for goal currently available to us.

I think Hume might have some use as an impact sub. He was given a start prematurely at York and seemed to get blamed for most things that went wrong that day by our manager. I don't understand why Koumas gets so little game time after his performance v Accrington and how he improved the side from admittedly the pits late on at York.

Thompson's out this weekend, but that still gives us Dugdale, Ihiekwe, McGahey and Gumbs as central defensive options. Do we really need another defender? Possibly but only if they're in good shape, with some experience.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't understand why Koumas gets so little game time after his performance v Accrington and how he improved the side from admittedly the pits late on at York.

I agree. He did not even travel to Portsmouth, which I would guess is simply the manager protecting him due to his age and injury problems.