• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

John Achterberg Testimonial

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Testimonials are very rare these days in football, rarely do you see a player who spends 10 minutes let alone 10 years at the same club. So next Monday, we Rovers fans have the chance to salute one of the club's greatest servants in Dutch goalkeeper John Acherberg.

Achto has been a loyal member of the squad for many years, had the opportunity to move on especially after disappointing times like when he has (arguably unfairly) dropped before the Worthy Cup final, but he has a genuine affection for the club and its fans and has stayed.

Monday gives us a chance to thank the big man for all his services to our club, as well as the chance to see us beat Everton (again - lol) and meet and greet some of the Rovers legends from the years gone by and watch them take to the field again in a "heroes" match between Wembley 2000 team and other former Rovers players whom have played with John.

It should be a great night, so if you're free get down to Prenton Park :p

Check out John's testimonial website for all the details and more info: http://www.ja2009.co.uk

Claire

John Achterberg

I went to his Testimonial Dinner a couple of weeks ago and won one of the raffle prizes - a framed print/photo/signed team sheet of Johns first match for Tranmere. Brill night. Les Parry was an absolute scream.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
he's big, he's dutch, we like him very much

Del Shannon

Player
Iain Hume
A fantastic keeper and a humble and modest fella. Around 2005 I had an uncanny nack of bumping into Tranmere players and having half decent conversations with them, Ryan Taylor in the art shop on Bold Street buying a Liverpool frame for his brother ha, and Achto. (Oh and I saw Paul Linwood around this time in Rileys but didnt bother speaking to him ha)
I congratulated him on how well he had been doing and he was genuinally modest and wouldn't hear a word of it.
I'll definately be there on Monday. As said above - in this football age of corporate dullness, it is rare to get that kind of commitment from a player. :cool:

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I missed the legends match :-( as i had to play in a game myself. managed to make it in time for the tranmere vs everton thing - left just after half time. we were destroyed, but enjoyed seeing a few familiar faces do the lap of honour :-D

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I enjoyed the Legends match. 2-2, four good goals, the best by Alex Hay and a cameo from Humey. The main game didn't offer much hope. Greenacre lasted 20m, Curran still on when I left, but seems to have lost some pace. Burns started, but initially on the left with Sonko on the right, he made little impression. Waterfall & Fraughan did ok. Not a clue about who most of the 2nd half subs were, announcer could be more use here. About 2k crowd?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Burns started, but initially on the left with Sonko on the right, he made little impression.

Jesus, I'd assumed that guy was some random bloke who had won the auction to play for a half. Oh dear. I expect that Waterfall's popularity on this forum may drop after his performance tonight :-| Fraughn looked OK center-mid.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Got to Prenton straight from work at about 6:30 so managed to see both games and stayed to the end (pity more didn't) to salute the great Dutchman as he did a lap of honour on his big night with his family. Such a shame only a quarter of the 3,000 odd crowd stayed for this, he's been a great servant and deserved his big night and got a great ovation from the few still remaining in the ground.

Great to see all the legends, Aldo, Humey, Gareth Roberts, Ned kelly, Alan Mahon, Brian Little (ah, maybe not so much him :-#). Got to speak to Aldo and get a few pics as they did the lap of honour at half time. Will post them as soon as I get them on my computer.

As for the Tranmere v Everton game, well, we were destroyed. The young kids in the team didn't look good at all bar Kennedy who came on for John in the second half and made the only save of the night! All the clamour for Waterfall and Holmes, on last night's showing, is totally unjustified. They looked completely out of their depth although the kids from across the water in blue shirts looked pretty good. Maybe some loanees for next season!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
J I expect that Waterfall's popularity on this forum may drop after his performance tonight :-|
I hadn't seen Waterfall play before tonight, but Ronnie had bigged him up after pre-season games, the next Clint Hill. He was very raw in this game, pulled out of position a few times. The basics were there, but I can't see him being ready for 1st team action in the next year.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Got to Prenton straight from work at about 6:30 so managed to see both games and stayed to the end (pity more didn't) to salute the great Dutchman as he did a lap of honour on his big night with his family. Such a shame only a quarter of the 3,000 odd crowd stayed for this, he's been a great servant and deserved his big night and got a great ovation from the few still remaining in the ground.

While I agree with the sentiment, personally had to leave to catch the last direct train to 'Udders. An earlier start might have kept more in the ground at the end, possibly.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Fair play Boz, just thought it was a bit sad for the big man that most of the fans left before he did his lap of honour. Not a dig at individuals cos I appreciate you made the trip across and people had to shoot off but was just a little sad that was all.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Find attached a couple of the photos I took last night of the two games. The rest will be added when I get chance, in a bit of a hurry right now! :p

The guard of honour one is a bit small cos I had to zoom in a bit too far (I'm no David Bailey!).

1. Ned Kelly jokes with ref while LiamO' and Richard Jobson stand behind
2. The return of Alan Mahon in a Tranmere shirt - he was class and it may well happen again some time soon....
3. Johnny hasa guard of honour to welcome him onto the pitch before Tranmere vs. Everton

Attachments

• Image0068.jpg
    Image0068.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Image0069.jpg
    Image0069.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Image0072.jpg
    Image0072.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 8
Player
Johnny Morrissey