• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Jennings - why out of position??

Player
Norwood
Hi all, forgive me if this has been done before...
I cannot fathom why MM is playing our most creative player on the left side of midfield.
He has done well more recently and always makes a lot of effort, but doesn't seem a natural left sided player, and looks to come inside often. Ironically, when he does cut in and surgery forward, he looks really dangerous
Given that he is a really important young player that you would want to build a team around, I can't understand why he persists with this.
Am I missing something?
Cheers
Chris

Player
ian goodison
I,ve said it all along connor is the best footballer in the team, it,s not as if we don,t have any wingers to cover him then he could play along side or just behind nors, but he,s played out wide that long now there is no chance MM will change

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think he has adapted to playing on the left hand side now, and I don't see any reason why we would change. He has been one of our best players in recent weeks and I believe he has more assists than anyone this season. If we play a 442 it is really the only way we can fit him into the team.

When we play with a five man midfield with a player in the number ten role behind Norwood, Cole is just as natural in that position and has generally been preferred.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Ironically, when he does cut in and surgery forward, he looks really dangerous
I think Mellon plays him on the left precisely so he can cut inside and influence the play. He plays Smith (who is left-footed) on the right hand side for the same reason.

We don't play with a natural target man so it makes sense to use the wide players that way, rather than getting to the bye line and whipping in crosses.