• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Jean Louis Akpa Apkro

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Bit of a difference between Jenno and Danny though. Plus this is obviously coming from his agent. I reckon he'll stay, or go to a promotion chasing league one club or something.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Heard a rumour Dagnall is in talks. Just had a mooch on Barnsleys forum and they think the same.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Would be surprised if we brought in 3 senior strikers

If we do Akpro will end up out wide :neutral:

drwhoman

Starting to get a bit twitchy at the lack of midfield signings. I hang onto the straw that many of the big clubs (eg Liverpool) have yet to announce who they have let go. I see Alan Navarro has joined Swindon although he must be about 35 now so probably not someone Ronnie would have contemplated. No news on Wallace I assume. Having let Weir and Labadie go and Welsh bailing out has left us very light. I do not see Danny Harrison as better than any of these guys but maybe he is cheaper and is more at one with Ronnie.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Playing devils advocate here, but do you think the recent signings Harrison, Burgess and Akpa Akpro all from division two are slowly turning us into a division two side?!

drwhoman

Ha Ha Ian! I love it! Even before the season has started! Reminds me of Fraser in the old Dad's Army show - 'Doomed. We're doomed!!

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Trying to stay optimistic, but I think Ian has a point. Unless we can dig out another Danny Holmes type signing, it must be frustrating picking over players other clubs are not taking up.
Perhaps we should look abroad - say Greece, Cyprus, Spain where teams in division 2's might be struggling to pay their players.

drwhoman

Good call Higgy. To be serious, is there really a lot of difference between the middling teams in Div One and the top teams in Div Two? The trick, of course, is to stay in Div One where at least the team gets the chance to play well known clubs that have a history and a big fan base. The Sheffield teams for example. A bit different to Fleetwood however well they do without Vardy. I remember going there when they played in the Lancashire Combination(that dates me - days of the Cheshire League!)!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Playing devils advocate here, but do you think the recent signings Harrison, Burgess and Akpa Akpro all from division two are slowly turning us into a division two side?!
While Burgess was on loan to Cheltenham, he had been playing with L1 Notts County and Akpa Akpro had plied his trade at L1 level for the last 2 years. Only Danny Harrison is someone who has played mainly at a lower level in recent years and even he has significant playing experience at this level.

We've also had some players; think Antwi, Darville, who although coming from a higher league were fairly mediocre during their time at PP. It's more important that they fit into the system the manager chooses and get stuck in. Is there that vast a gulf between the bulk of L1 and L2 sides anyway?