• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

James Wallace

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought I would throw this into the mix.....

There are rumours circulating that Wallace is set to sign after he was spotted at Prenton Park yesterday. I would have major reservations about this move, but I suppose it could be ok if it was a loan / short-term deal with any financial contribution from Rovers based on appearances.

Wallace did play a few games on loan at Shrewsbury last season, which is why Mellon might be tempted. However, on his return to Bramall Lane the inevitable happened.....

As has been pointed out many times, we could probably do with a bit more creativity in midfield, but the James Wallace who drives forward and scores goals has not been seen in action since December 2012. You could also argue that when the two Jennings return and Dawson is up to speed, we already have enough creative / midfield options now.

It will be interesting to see what transpires....

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
He is currently injured again think he was just there watching the game as was Max Power

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We could probably have done with him yesterday and he would have been useful on board last season. However, I think RLC has analysed it just right. It's difficult to see how he would fit in at the moment.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I do think we need backup in central midfield, wouldn't be keen. Too injury prone and we owe him no favours following remarks he made after his departure

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He could have been a really good player if not for his terrible injury problems.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Someone on another forum said they asked Wallace on Saturday if he was signing to which he replied "wait and see".

A brilliant player with us previously when we had a great team (Cass, JLAA, Ben Gibson, Liam Palmer, Andy Robbo etc).

I think he left in difficult circumstances and his career has been a disaster since.

I don't see the harm in having him train with us on non contract terms. Plenty of players have had injuries and only been able to perform at a level lower than they would have. This would probably be his last chance but as I say, wouldn't cost us anything and if it doesn't work then fine and if it does, could be a good addition but I'd be surprised if his career recovers.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree, Sparky. I was disappointed but not surprised when he left. As with Steve Davies a few years earlier, he had a serious injury while playing for Rovers. We paid him and rehabilitated him. All the thanks we got was him leaving a few weeks later when his contract expired. But I suppose careers are short and this is what players do.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I wouldn't touch either with a barge pole, one treated our club with great disdain in the manner of his leaving and the other would destroy the team spirit currently being developed with his off-field "activities" for which I think he is already under suspension until the middle of next year., No Thanks to both.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Had to chuckle a bit and scratch my head why on the o/s there is a happy birthday message for James Wallace who 1) isn't even our player and 2) has hardly featured since he came on loan.

We don't do this for every other player - is this a tactic to make him feel loved and want to sign for us permanently?!

As far as I know his loan spell runs out not long after the Macc away game. Hopefully we'll see a bit more of him over the next 2 games and presumably it'll be extended until the end of the season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Massive waste being stuck on the bench IMO, but I hope we keep him until the end of the season.

M

Mal

we could have his face painted blue and white and have him charge at the opposition whilst yelling by mimicing Mellon's accent

Player
Manager
John King
Regarding the article, I think it is a case of the club showing off the strength of the squad after the disappointment of Saturday's result. That and a slow news day.......

If Wallace stays fit, I think he will be here for the rest of the season. I think the club are easing him in gently, as you can imagine the reaction if he was rushed back and immediately got a serious injury.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Signed an 18 month deal. Just like Adam Dawson, wonder what's happened to him...

Player
Manager
John King
Pleased that we have signed him permanently. I am slightly surprised at the length of the deal, but let us hope he proves his fitness and it works out for both parties.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Probably too good a player to not offer a contract, but lets hope he's eased in. Great signing.

drwhoman

I agree. 18 months gives him security and ensures we are able to bargain if he suddenly becomes saleable. Talking of transfers I see Keiffer Moore has been sold to Ipswich by FGR.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The only risk is his injury record and I think it's worth taking, given his recent form and fitness record. Also, we need to build a squad fit to play in League Two next season and he certainly fits the bill.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Pleased about Wallace although don't think he has stood out overall since he came back. Not a surprise of course given his lack of match practice but I suspect the likes of Harris may feel hard done by, given before JW came back we were doing well after MM took over, and in the last few weeks or two we have, at times, not looked great.

I expected a contract until the end of the season but have no issue with an 18 month one although I'll be amazed if there isn't some reference to his fitness e.g. perhaps a basic wage with top up based on appearances. Worst case scenario is we don't go up this season and he's crocked again.

Re Kieffer Moore. A cracking player at our level but not sure about Championship level (although people probably said that about Vardy once!)