• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Jake Kirby

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A brave decision by Jake, who still had the rest of this season under contract at Stockport. Know he's had difficulties with injuries, but it doesn't seem that his most recent was career ending and other factors must have directed him to this decision. Hope that things work out for him outside football.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
think its most down to injuries he has had a fair load to deal with over the last few years . . and with another knee gone now . it must be so frustrating being out all the time . suppose he looking after his health in the long run

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sad to hear in a way but his career was going nowhere. You don't earn much at that level so he may be better to start a new career while he's young. I remember Jim Steele retired quite young so he could join the police force.

drwhoman

Probably a sensible decision. You see too many retired footballers with huge health issues. No doubt he long ago realised that he was not going to make it into the big time so why take the risk with his long term health.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Jake had genuine potential and, on balance, we probably released him too early.
If you have time, do read the link that was posted on the Total Tranmere forum.
Jim Gannon's words are an absolute breath of fresh air:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Jake had genuine potential and, on balance, we probably released him too early.
Dont agree with that at all. There were occasions when he had a decent game but few and far between. If anything we kept hold of him too long!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Sad to hear - he was at Rovers from a young age. I always thought Jake had a lot of potential but there was just that bit of something missing that stopped him from being a very good player. I'll never forget his injury time winner at Barrow in one of our greatest comebacks - a very special moment. 3-1 down with 90 minutes on the clock - you couldn't invent it! He actually only got onto the pitch five minutes from time, after that we conceded one then scored 3! Brilliant! Best wishes for the future!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Great words from Jim Gannon, I agree. What I'd love to see is him getting a testimonial from Rovers. He was a loyal servant for many years.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Dont agree with that at all. There were occasions when he had a decent game but few and far between. If anything we kept hold of him too long!
Yes, he could not establish himself in the National League and was never going to be good enough for us in the long term.

The circumstances surrounding his first contract were strange. Current Welsh international Will Vaulks was considered the outstanding youngster of his year group, but was only offered a six month deal by Ronnie Moore and then binned, apparently because of a falling out. Kirby was not rated by the youth coaches at all, but was offered a longer deal by Ronnie, but never really looked up to it.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Great words from Jim Gannon, I agree. What I'd love to see is him getting a testimonial from Rovers. He was a loyal servant for many years.
I wish him good luck but I don't think he has done anything to deserve a testimonial, in all honesty.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Kirby was a strange one. I remember Nors saying he was the best finisher at the club but with all the chances he had with different managers, something clearly wasn’t right. Suspect a lot was the mental side of things and that broken leg he got that time won’t have helped.

He’ll perhaps be remembered mostly for the winner in the comeback at barrow. Hopefully he can turn things around

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Good luck to him in whatever career he chooses