• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Jake Cassidy

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
According to the Wolves forums he is close to rejoining us on loan, with the two clubs just ironing out the details. Could be a one month or three month loan depending on whether Wolves bring another striker in.

I hope this comes to fruition as we are really dependent on Lowe up front at the moment.

Player
Nixon
does a mean a 4-4-2 system will return.

Don't think Jake would want to come to sit on the bench, He can do that at Wolves.

Does this move mean Sodje can be released/paid off.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Ronnie said in his press conference the other day that he had enquired about getting him on loan, im unsure about the move as I feel we are better playing 4-5-1 and after a good start for us he went off the boil and hasn't scored for Wolves.

Also just noticed that Otsemobor has left MK Dons wonder if we are in for him?

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Also just noticed that Otsemobor has left MK Dons wonder if we are in for him?

I would not think so judging by his performance at Carlisle, where he was abysmal. I would imagine we will look to keep Pennington on a longer deal if he continues his good performances.

Regarding Cassidy, while I agree we look stronger playing 4-5-1, I don't think we can use that formation against every standard of opposition at Prenton Park. I still think Cassidy is a really good player: it was obvious even from his first few appearances for Rovers that he is a natural finisher and I think he is struggling at Wolves because of the massive pressure of playing for a club of that size and his inexperience. Playing alongside Lowey could bring the best out of him again.

Aside from Lowe none of our strikers are good enough and we definitely need to strengthen in the forward positions.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
On the face of it this is good news but I would have a slight concern that Jake and Lowe are fairly similar.

Lowe probably has more movement but physically they are similar and both natural goalscorers.

I'm not sure it would work but bring him in for sure. Especially if we can shut of Sodje plus it could improve the form of JLAA which had been dire of late

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If we can afford him, I can't think of any reason not to bring him back. No-one but Lowe looks like scoring more than the odd goal, so if he gets injured, suspended or loses form, we are stuffed. Jake's arrival would lift morale and I think both players would benefit from having some support up front.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Cole Stockton has scored more goals in the last year than Jake Cassidy. While sharing Sparky's reservations about his similarity to Lowe, I wouldn't say no to Cassidy, but it does frustrate me that Cole, having been deemed worthy of a 2 year deal is given so little opportunity by the manager.

Otsemobor, despite his poor showing at Carlisle seems to be on Ronnie's radar. I suppose he'd come cheap, but with Danny due to resume training and loanee Pennington looking capable covering, it doesn't seem much of a priority.

Given how brittle we've been without a defensive midfielder, it's a concern that after dumping Hateley, Ronnie reports that other clubs are interested in Jennings. The suggestion that Ridehalgh could slot in there implies Horwood at left-back and defensively he doesn't look up to it.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
In my view Stockton is simply not as good a player as Cassidy, not at present anyway. Cole has actually had plenty of opportunities in the first team in the last eighteen months, particularly in the second half of last season, but has not performed consistently enough to deserve a regular starting place (nor have his competitors for the second striker role in fairness). He has not developed as quickly or Power and Kirby and despite his reputation regarding young players, Ronnie has made those two players central to his plans. It is somewhat unfair to compare Cassidy's scoring record to Stockton's as a number of his performances last season were at Championship level and he is operating under a completely different level of scrutiny at Wolves to Stockton.

From what I have seen of him, Otsemobor is simply not good enough and unless he was suffering from a serious lack of fitness at Carlisle, we should not be signing him.

Jennings is better than Hateley and I would still be reasonable hopeful we will extend his contract to the end of the season at least.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Nobody much was scoring for us in the second half of last season, the reasons for which were imponderable. Taking just this season in the same league, Cole Stockton has scored once in the league and once against Championship notlob in the League Cup, while don't think Cassidy hasn't scored yet. I'd agree Cassidy is the better player, although he seems to have gone backwards since his last loan spell with Rovers, but Stockton is our player and if Ronnie isn't going to work on developing him, why award him a 2-year contract?

Agree totally about Otsemobor, but Ronnie seems to think different.

I didn't think there was much to choose between Jennings and Hateley in ability, while Tom was certainly fitter. We need either Jennings to stay or someone of that ilk to come in.

Player
Manager
John King
Stockton is our player and if Ronnie isn't going to work on developing him, why award him a 2-year contract?

In fairness, he probably saw that Stockton, Power and Kirby all had the potential to develop: Power and Kirby have made good progress and have been rewarded with regular first team involvement, Stockton has not. To sign up three youngsters on medium term deals and have success with two of them is a pretty decent return and does not suggest that Cole has been frozen out.

I think Cole's problem has been that in games where he has not posed a goal threat, his work outside the box has not been great either considering his physique. Even the Wolves fans acknowledge that Cassidy acts as a decent target man and holds the ball up well.

Regarding team selections generally, the manager has the benefit of seeing the players every day in training which we do not and at times I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt when deciding who to retain and who to release.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In fairness, he probably saw that Stockton, Power and Kirby all had the potential to develop: Power and Kirby have made good progress and have been rewarded with regular first team involvement, Stockton has not. To sign up three youngsters on medium term deals and have success with two of them is a pretty decent return and does not suggest that Cole has been frozen out.

I think Cole's problem has been that in games where he has not posed a goal threat, his work outside the box has not been great either considering his physique. Even the Wolves fans acknowledge that Cassidy acts as a decent target man and holds the ball up well.

Regarding team selections generally, the manager has the benefit of seeing the players every day in training which we do not and at times I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt when deciding who to retain and who to release.

It was the manager's decision to give Cole the 2 year deal, but he hasn't given him many opportunities this season, publicly indicating he was behind Sodje in the pecking order. Now Sodje may be the most committed player going in training, but that sure as hell hasn't translated to the pitch.

I was a little surprised a L2 or Conference side didn't come in for Stockton on loan, when he was made available. With 8 league/cup goals to his credit, you'd think he could do a job for somebody and maybe build up some confidence.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Boz, a conference side did com in for Stockton but they were low down the table and Ronnie wouldn't let him join them

Player
Manager
John King
It was the manager's decision to give Cole the 2 year deal, but he hasn't given him many opportunities this season, publicly indicating he was behind Sodje in the pecking order. Now Sodje may be the most committed player going in training, but that sure as hell hasn't translated to the pitch.

After giving him that deal he started many, perhaps the majority, of games in the second half of last season but was unconvincing. I am not sure Ronnie has ever said that Sodje is ahead of Stockton in the pecking order: if anything I would think Cole has been on the bench more often than Sodje in recent weeks ? All I am really saying is that when Power and Kirby got extended runs in the first team they grasped the opportunity with both hands and were very impressive. Stockton has not been, so he can't really complain if he is not a first team regular.

When commenting on the manager having a greater insight into players due to seeing them in training etc. I really had in mind Jennings v Hateley rather than Stockton v Sodje (who I would agree is garbage).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
When commenting on the manager having a greater insight into players due to seeing them in training etc. I really had in mind Jennings v Hateley rather than Stockton v Sodje (who I would agree is garbage).

I suspect Hateley's lack of opportunity was not entirely down to footballing reasons. Jennings had really let himself go fitness wise, but thankfully has now got back into shape and apparently signed on for the rest of the season, which is good.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wasn't Stephen Frail a real Scotsman? Great player, well the little we saw of him anyway.

I'd love to have Cassidy back.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Looks like Wolves bringing in a striker from Wigan maybe they will let us have Cassidy if it does go trough.

Player
Liam Palmer
Yeah, plenty at the game yesterday pointed out Stephen Frail and... Michael O'Halloran as being proper Scots. So I'll rephrase it: Kennedy becomes the first Scottish Scotland internationalist to play for us since Pat Nevin.

I'll get my coat.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wolves have signed striker Dicko from Wigan on a permanent basis. They now have too many strikers so hopefully will let Jake come to us. I wonder if there is a chance of us signing him permanently ?