• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Italy

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Not Tranmere related, but North Macedonia have just knocked out Italy in the World Cup play offs.

It must be one of the greatest shocks of all time.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wow! From winning the Euros to not QL for the World Cup. Crazy..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am old enough to remember Italy being knocked out of the 1966 World Cup after defeat by North Korea. The Italians have some history, but I’d trade their four wins and a couple of embarrassing defeats for our paltry one win and several embarrassments.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While it’s a great win for North Macedonia, have to be sad that one of the footballing great nations isn’t at the finals.

The whole World Cup set up seems surreal. Awarded to a wholly unsuitable venue due to apparent corruption from the organising body and having to play at the end of the year when it’s cooler but still very warm. Not really looking forward to it.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
While it’s a great win for North Macedonia, have to be sad that one of the footballing great nations isn’t at the finals.

The whole World Cup set up seems surreal. Awarded to a wholly unsuitable venue due to apparent corruption from the organising body and having to play at the end of the year when it’s cooler but still very warm. Not really looking forward to it.
It’s a joke. But not a funny one. I’m not sure much has changed at FIFA now Blatter has gone. Infantino looks far from squeaky clean with his relationship with Putin. Wise move by the U.K. and Ireland not to bid for the World Cup. It was doomed to failure, even though we’d be ideal.

Reactions: Boz

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
It’s a joke. But not a funny one. I’m not sure much has changed at FIFA now Blatter has gone. Infantino looks far from squeaky clean with his relationship with Putin. Wise move by the U.K. and Ireland not to bid for the World Cup. It was doomed to failure, even though we’d be ideal.
Speaking of which, it is absolutely mind-blowing that Russia have expressed an interest in hosting the 2028 Euros!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
31 attemps, 16 corners, 0 goals I find it funny
It wasn't that funny when we delivering similar stats a couple of months ago!

Sounds like a bit of a freak result. Brings to mind Celtic's victory against Barcelona when they had about 15% possession. The "minnow" winning is what makes football what it is but, personally, I'd rather see Italy in the finals.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Speaking of which, it is absolutely mind-blowing that Russia have expressed an interest in hosting the 2028 Euros!
Another sick joke. However, if they somehow got it, they would be hot favourites to win. They would just have to play Belarus in the final. Every other country would surely boycott the tournament. ;)

drwhoman

Another sick joke. However, if they somehow got it, they would be hot favourites to win. They would just have to play Belarus in the final. Every other country would surely boycott the tournament. ;)
A statement that they do not consider themselves guilty! On the previous post about 1966 I recall that the Italian team were showered with tomatoes at Rome Airport! I think they were beaten by North Korea who had some decent players with great names. Pack Do Ick was one I recall. II think they played at Middlesbrough (?) and some of them were allowed out of NK (!) to attend a reunion a few years ago. The locals really took to them.